Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Remove "Insert a smart card option" by cimon
My OS: "WIndows Vista Business" Problem: I often lock my computer , and leave it . Now when I return it should ask for my password, But sometimes on pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del , it says me "Insert a smart card" and does not give any other option of entering a password. I do not have a smart card. So I reboot it and its all fine, But rebooting is very annoying, as I might loose my work because I do...
June 4th 09 05:12 PM
by Rojo Habe[_3_] Go to last post
3 146
vista doesn't recognise device by T5
Hi, I have recently purchased a Samsung SGH-U600 mobile phone. The phonetools that come with the phone and the drivers on the software CD are not compatible with win Vista so I downloaded the appropriate software/drivers from the Samsung website. I loaded PC Studio 3 and installed the drivers. However, when I connected the phone via the data usb cable (supplied with the phone) I got a...
June 4th 09 04:46 PM
by Tae Song Go to last post
9 301
When Administrator is not administrator? by Jan M. Nelken
I am running Vista Business 64-bit. For some strange reasons I cannot add anything to System DSN tag in ODBC Administrator. I am getting "You are not logged on as administator" popup. Needless to say - I *am* logged on as member of Administrators group and I am running Data Sources (ODBC) from elevated command window and/or "Run As Administrator". I even logged on as "Administrator" - with...
June 4th 09 03:54 PM
by Tae Song Go to last post
4 155
Unexplained UAC challenge when starting spreadsheet by Scoot
Trying again, no replies 10 days after first post. More details this time. Vista Home Premium SP 2 current all updates, MS Works pre-installed. I have one administrative account used for software installs, updates, etc. and one non-admin account used for normal activity. When starting Works spreadsheet using the non-admin account Vista throws up the UAC challenge and requires the...
June 4th 09 03:32 PM
by Scoot Go to last post
2 119
Open File dialog is not showing mapped drive or network locations by pandehrushikesh
i am using Vista business SP1. I designed MSi file through Visual Studio 2008 Setup and deployment project in which I added one custom action. In the custom action, I am opening OpenFile dialog. This Open File dialog is not showing mapped drive or network locations. Can anybody help??? -- pandehrushikesh
June 4th 09 07:31 AM
by pandehrushikesh Go to last post
0 121
OWA and S/MIME problem by wedge40
I'm using VISTA and IE8. I "HAD" OWA working with s/mime. Something happened and now I can not sign my replies or send any signed emails. I've removed and reinstalled s/mime and still don't work. I get an error about not being able to remove certificates when I close. I also get and huge message when I try to send a signed message. I've run registry check and clean should I uninstall IE and...
June 3rd 09 02:39 PM
by wedge40 Go to last post
0 147
Limit amount of time on PC? by Calab[_2_]
Is there a way to limit how much time a user can be using the computer each day? I've got the parental controls set up to limit when, but I'd also like to limit how much of that time they can use. If not, are there any free, simple programs out there? Everything I find is much more than I need - controlling what the user does, managing the time the users can use the PC, etc. Thx!
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
June 3rd 09 01:25 AM
by +Bob+ Go to last post
13 270
Windows Defender, etc opens and closes in 2 seconds! by crewsers
On a whim I decided to configure my Vista start up programs (ie get rid of all the crap!) I went thru the control panel to 'performance info and tools', these open and stay open fine. When I click on 'Manage start up programs' it opens the window then quickly (maybe 1-2 seconds) closes itself. After clicking other windows to see if they would open or not I found that Window Defender does the...
June 1st 09 11:01 PM
by MowGreen Go to last post
1 154
"run as admin" grayed out by daistheputrid
im trying to run pcsx2 on my vista u-64 gateway and for some reason the run as admin(the only way to run it) on my shorcut is grayed out whats up with that -- daistheputrid
June 1st 09 09:40 PM
by daistheputrid Go to last post
3 148
Defender by AliceZ
I did a Defender update today for my Vista and looked in history and see two of the same items mentioned on different scan dates (5/13/09 and 5/20/09). (Did an update and another scan today (5/25/09) and don't see anyhing new found in History. I just wonder what this 'system32' item could be relating to. Name = Unknown Alert Level = Unknown
June 1st 09 12:59 PM
by angus mccready Go to last post
2 172
Get ubuntu ! Get ubuntu ! Get ubuntu ! Get ubuntu ! by Getubuntu[_2_]
:cool::cool: -- Getubuntu Posted via http://ms-os.com Forum to Usenet gateway
June 1st 09 08:52 AM
by Getubuntu[_2_] Go to last post
0 103
bypass bitlocker? by Mipaan
Hei, I have xp and Vista in same computer (hp 8510p) I updated xp wireless driver and bios and then when i´m try go vista side, it ask password for bitlocker, i have the password but it wont work?? pasword id have change somehow??? How i can bypass the bitlocker?
May 31st 09 08:24 PM
by Milo Go to last post
3 189
Parental controls doesn't allow for this game to run by Patrick23
Hi, I have Vista Home Premium 64bit, I'm trying to install and run a BETA game I need to test, all goes fine until I try to run it, I get the message "Parental controls doesn't allow for this game to run". I have one account, as admin, no password and I already tried "run as admin" for the game but still the same. When I go to parental controls it tells me none are set as I'm an administrator, so...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
May 31st 09 06:22 PM
by Brink Go to last post
10 223
changing permissions on multiple files by acsun
I recently just took the hard drive out of my old laptop that ran xp and put it into an enclosure. I'm now trying to access the files on the hard drive from a vista machine and each time I want to do something with a file I have to change its permission. However I have a lot of files on the hard drive and going to properties to change the permission each time is a task that will take hours. I...
May 31st 09 12:38 AM
by rive0108[_19_] Go to last post
1 144
Norton Internet Security by PA Bear [MS MVP]
Vista includes a two-way firewall and an antispyware application (Windows Defender), but not an anti-virus application. Did a free-trial of Norton Internet Security (2009) come preinstalled on your computer when you bought it? -- ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002 JohnInTexas wrote:
May 29th 09 12:21 PM
by JohnInTexas Go to last post
5 151
Documenting the command line that UAC attempts to launch by No Name
Is there a way to set UAC to capture or log the entire command line of a program including all switches that is requesting elevation? I have an unknown potentially suspicious program that is requesting elevation and I am unable to see the entire command line or path to the binary to investigate it. To be safe, I have declined running the program, and briefly examined the Windows event logs...
May 29th 09 10:45 AM
by Robinson Zhang [MSFT] Go to last post
7 172
free disk space is decreasing by PA Bear [MS MVP]
You are seeing the effects of a hijackware infection, one that disabled the McAfee app and which didn't allow the Kaspersky app to install properly! NB: If your McAfee subscription had expired *when the machine first got infected* and/or your subscription has since expired and/or the machine's not been kept fully-patched at Windows Update, don't waste your time with any of the below: Format &...
May 28th 09 03:16 PM
by PA Bear [MS MVP] Go to last post
0 136
Live OneCAre doesn't like Quickbooks Pro 2009 by woodp
Every couple hours Live OneCare's icon changes from green GOOD to yellow FAIR. It then reports the "PC problem needing fix" as a stalled printer queue. Digging a little deeper reveals the printer queue that is jammed is Quickbooks 2009 Pro's "Quickbook PDF Converter." I can let OneCare "fix" the problem and the icon turns green, but three or four hours later the printer queue error...
May 28th 09 10:26 AM
by Tom Allen Go to last post
2 134
Windows Vista smart card logon on stand alone machine by Michele
Hi all. I just want to share with you my thoughts about smart card authentication implementation in Vista. I know that smart card logon, also known as strong authentication or two-factor authentication, can be performed on a machine that is connected to a domain. And in Vista SP1 it's been added the support for biometric factor authentication so that, with the appropriate security tokens,...
May 27th 09 01:20 PM
by Ǝиçεl Go to last post
5 199
Can't schedule tasks to run in future, in Vista Home Premium by David Walker[_3_]
Well, I have read all of the search-engine hits I can find, and they all seem to point to the fact that you can't run scheduled tasks in Vista Home Premium using a regular username even when you supply the correct password. Vista forgets the password and gives the error "2147943726 (Logon failu unknown user name or bad password)" whenever it tries to run a scheduled task (scheduled at...
May 27th 09 02:26 AM
by H Brown[_2_] Go to last post

From The