Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Ultimate 64 no updates available by sck10
Hello, I installed ulitmate 64 sp1 (msdn download) about 10 days ago. Each time I check to see if updates are available, it says that none are. I'm not sure if this is correct. Is there a way to check what where my machine is and where it should be? -- Thanks in advance, sck10
August 19th 08 08:17 AM
by Stefan Radulescu Go to last post
2 165
Logging in as Administrator by John[_40_]
Hi On a brand new vista bunnies pc, how can I login as Administrator? It doesn't give me the option at the login screen. Many Thanks Regards
August 19th 08 07:32 AM
by Gordon[_5_] Go to last post
3 174
Windows User Accounts by ChiWhiteSox
I got a windows vista with an existing admin account - OwnerPC my little sister created a user account (Mickey) and assigned a password in it. Now everytime i try to install something or run windows updates, it prompts the user password for Mickey (Enter user password for Mickey)
August 18th 08 08:22 PM
by ChiWhiteSox Go to last post
5 214
Run As Adminstrator - why hasn't it saved us? by riix
Hi all, I'm totally confused and wondering if I got this wrong or, after 2 decades of NT its still microsoft that's got this wrong. - I figure that better than UAC would be to run as Power User, and use the "Run As Administrator" when needed - which is often - Visual Studio, Event Viewer, IIS, SQL Server, etc. - so I enabled the Administrator id, turn off UAC (after all, won't need it anymore...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
August 18th 08 12:28 PM
by riix Go to last post
13 408
3days left HELP-PLEASE -- For Microsoft One Care ENGLISH v2 by Joha
About OneCare Activation Impossible from CH - Microsoft onecare ENG international shipping Hello, In May our family got each(4) a computer, and I did straight on install on them the trial version of One care (best of all antiviruses for my tase and experience); with intend to update on begining of August (then 12 days left) by buying 2 of these, in ENGLISH from...
August 18th 08 04:55 AM
by midway64[_2_] Go to last post
5 261
How can I optimise UAC on Vista 64? by Quentin[_2_]
Vista 64 SP1, fully patched. When UAC kicks in, it's a real pain. Not that it kicks in but the way it kicks in. The screen dims and the system is unresponsive for a couple of seconds - just long enough for me to notice and then a bit longer. Then the UAC prompt comes up. I'd like to remove the screen dimming and change it to the sort of warning prompt you get when you try to run an ActiveX...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
August 17th 08 09:35 PM
by FromTheRafters Go to last post
22 473
help y security centre has been disabled by LigerKing
help someone played with my computer and disabled windows security centre and now i dont know how to turn it back on can someone please help urgently??? -- LigerKing
August 17th 08 03:57 PM
by Victek Go to last post
2 207
Video not showing in browser by wb
On a Vista machine, IE and Firefox both are not being allowed to show video from a lorex cctv server. It is a java applet i believe for this particular video app. the video shows just fine on XP machines with IE 7 or Firefox but not on Vista. We allowed java scripts on both browsers but that didn't help. We turned off the Vista firewall wall too but that didn't help is this particular case. ...
August 16th 08 11:56 PM
by wb Go to last post
3 199
sm56 helper? by DAS WULF
Hello, this is my first posting on this very informative site. I find the information quit in depth and useful. I was looking through my msconfig settings earlier and noticed this smhelper enabled on start up. I tried to see if in fact it was a malicious type program and could not find any viable information regarding this entry. Would it be possible if someone could shed some light on this...
August 16th 08 09:34 PM
by Paul Montgomery Go to last post
1 212
Installing a window service and application by edua11368
Hello, I am trying to install my application on windows vista ultimate and I am having lots of issues with users permissions. My application has different pieces, a windows service, a desktop application and another windows application that runs a the service manager. The application and the service communicate between each other using Pipes and I use the service manager to start and stop the...
August 15th 08 10:56 PM
by Bruce Chambers Go to last post
2 179
Issues after installing my pre-boot security software by Kelvin[_2_]
Hi All! I have a HP nx6320notebook installed with Vista. Due to company policy, I'm required to install a pre boot authentication full HDD encryption security software before I use it. It's similiar to Bitlocker where by I need to create a primary FAT32 partition first before install the software.
August 15th 08 06:24 PM
by phoenix_abhi[_6_] Go to last post
1 188
Vist has started to make me log in and now requires permission to njoin the network by Jonathan Crawford
Hi I used to start VISTA, log in and it would stay logged in. It is on an SBS network As of last update session it a) makes me log in if I leave the machine unattended. b) doen't let the automatic anti-virus downnloads happen when unattended c) Asks me to confrim I want to run the dos net login script to get on the SBS network
August 15th 08 04:59 PM
by Jonathan Crawford Go to last post
0 196
ActiveX Installer Service - UAC disabled by dekac99
In order to allow standard users in Vista to install ActiveX AxIS feature must be installed and correspondig GP set. The problem is that this does not work when UAC is disabled. Any idea/workourond to allow a standard user to install ActiveX controls? Thanks.
August 14th 08 10:35 AM
by dekac99 Go to last post
4 183
Here's how you can prevent identity theft - *SPAM* by Malke[_2_]
CovertSurfing wrote: Spam. Reported. Malke -- MS-MVP Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic! FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ
August 12th 08 03:09 PM
by mikeyhsd[_2_] Go to last post
1 156
Ie 7 x64 by Iceman_377
What are the benefits of using X64 browser? -- Iceman_377
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
August 12th 08 12:35 AM
by FromTheRafters Go to last post
10 426
download problem by Rick
have home premium 32bit. When trying to download 15 day trial from www.itsyourplane.com iget the pop up widow to allow however the file listed is dfsvc.exe and not the program file. The program owner and I have tried to find the error but can't. Have scaneed withe AVG,Spybot and a couple of online programs and all say no threat. Using regedit I can't find this dfsvc file. To see if this...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
August 11th 08 11:32 PM
by lecoop49 Go to last post
10 389
Vista Users and Groups by [email protected]
Where did they go? I cannot find anymore. I see "User Accounts" but no where to set Group Membership and groups? thnx jaytman
August 11th 08 11:19 PM
by Tom Allen Go to last post
2 213
BitLocker: How to change drive letter S: by Robinio
I installed BitLocker using MS "BitLocker Preparation Tool". Now S: is my system partition and I cannot change this drive letter. Since we use software that wants some data being located on S: I need to change this letter. I found no 'regular' way to do this. Would it help if I disable BitLocker, use letter S: for example CD-ROM or something and then (when S: would not be available any more)...
August 11th 08 05:08 PM
by WJK-Design Go to last post
2 230
password form data by iMarriedMyself
could some one please tell me how can I find what folder the form data (form password) are stored in ? THANKS
August 11th 08 03:00 AM
by Paul Montgomery Go to last post
1 174
Permissions help required by JTube
I need help figuring out permissions in Vista. When attempting to copy a file to a new folder on the Vista C drive from a different drive, the following message is displayed: "You ll need to provide administrator permission to copy to this file." "continue" button is pressed and the screen goes momentarily blank. Another box appears with the message:
August 10th 08 10:05 PM
by oscar Go to last post

From The