Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
spybot immunization problems by Pepper
I recently downloaded Spybot. When I first immunized my system, it said that everything was immunized. When I checked it now, it said that over 700 files were unprotected. When I tried to immunize again, it said that I didn't have administrative rights. The Spybot help menu advised me to right click Spybot on the start menu and click "Run as Administrator". I did this, but it didn't...
June 17th 08 12:47 PM
by Pepper Go to last post
0 185
Can't take Read-only off of folder. by Corey9212
I am trying to take Read-only off of a folder and all sub files and folders in the Properties area I deselect Read-only (I don't even know why it was set to that to begin with) and click Apply then select Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files and click ok. It goes through the process of making those changes and I click to close properties, but when I go back into properties the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
June 17th 08 03:07 AM
by breeto Go to last post
26 517
Vista Security Update for IE7 kills internet access by Tom Berry
Dell forward a bunch of updates from Microsoft yesterday. One was Security Update KB950759. After this was installed I couldn't access the internet. After I uninstalled it everything worked. Again today it was sent by Dell and installed-same thing, couldn't access internet until I uninstalled it. Any suggestions? I don't want to have to do this everyday. Thanks, Tom Berry
June 17th 08 02:42 AM
by Tony Linguini Go to last post
7 221
Need Help removing " W32/autorun-FF " by VistaKing
::I have a program that scans your computer for viruses and other stuff( its not an antivirus) and it uses SOPHOS antivirus to find viruses. It found one virus on my computer called \" W32/autorun-FF \" and I downloaded the 30-day trial of Sophos antivirus but it is not finding the W32/autorun-FF Virus . Is there a way I could remove it manually ? :: :::: ::PS. when I go to the registry and...
June 16th 08 08:30 PM
by Mick Murphy Go to last post
5 213
Vista Shutdown Security by lushman
I leave my pc running to allow various programs to run during the course of the day; however, other users manage to shutdown the system without any thought for my login "at work". -Does anybody know of a "Shutdown Password" facility I can use which prevents this from happening?- I know I'm still at risk from the power supply being switched off - but this measure will certainly help. Any...
June 15th 08 09:22 PM
by Charlie Tame Go to last post
4 223
Wallpaper/screensaver by Shirl
When my security system updates and restarts my computer, it turns off my wallpaper and screensaver. Occasionally, I can re-click Apply and it resets itself, but now it doesn't. What can I do to prevent this?
June 15th 08 05:18 PM
by Shirl Go to last post
0 152
Windows Defender and Live Care One Firewall by bardharlock
Can I run, or am I supposed to run Windows Defender if I am using the Live Care One Firewall already?
June 14th 08 09:47 PM
by Bruce Chambers Go to last post
5 198
Bitlocker now disabled by Baldboy
I have been using bitlocker on a Sony Vaio - with TPM. Yesterday someone used my PC to check an XP installation CD. They booted from the CD and when they reached the setup screen, they exited. After that I had to enter my key as I booted the PC - indicating that bitlocker had detected a change. The way to stop having to do that is to turn bitlocker off and then on again. I turned bitlocker...
June 14th 08 05:06 PM
by Kos Go to last post
4 188
ehSched.exe causing security warning at startup by DeBiese
Hi everybody, a friend of mine has a problem which I can't seem to get fixed by myself. So I'll try my luck here. At startup she gets a security warning from ehsched.exe. She gets the possibility to execute it or to cancel. Problem is that she gets this message every time she turns on her computer. This is very annoying. Anyone know how to fix this?
June 13th 08 08:20 PM
by Gerald309 Go to last post
1 247
Printing access rights by Waldy
Hi there, I have a Lexmark printer which prints fine from my login as I am the admin. Normal users get the message "cannot communicate with printer" when they try to print. How do I fix this?
June 13th 08 02:22 PM
by Waldy Go to last post
0 203
administrator with ownership trying to change permission Ultimate by eddie
Vista Ulitimate.On installing a program I am confronted with a message."could not open key Hkey_local_machine\software etc.. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key. I have waded through security for this software to change permission. I have achieved changing ownership to administrator but have lost the thread at changing permission for the object in this case the Program that...
June 13th 08 12:00 PM
by eddie Go to last post
0 173
How to make drive not accessible to guest account? by Mike McCollister[_2_]
I have an external drive on my vista machine that has gives "Users" full control. I just found out that the guest account is part of the "Users" group. Is there a group that does not include the guest account? Basically I don't want to have my backup drive accessible to the guest account. Is that possible without replacing "Users" with each individual account? Thanks, Mike
June 13th 08 10:46 AM
by Mike McCollister[_2_] Go to last post
7 286
BitLocker Command Line Tool? by sportymorty
Hi, We are soon moving to Vista SP1. Our computers have a C, D and an S partition, which is the bootable one. We are going to enable BitLocker on both C and D, and we want to use TPM + PIN. AD schema is extended and a GPO which enables the PIN option is in place. Can we use manage-bde.wsf to enable BitLocker the way we want? Or is it any better way to do this?
June 12th 08 11:51 AM
by Dominik Zemp Go to last post
1 182
Avast question by kplumm
I have Avast Home Edition on my Vista laptop. I ran a scan yesterday but this morning the Defender bottom righthand icon had an exclamation mark in it and I'd thought, from using 3 other AV programs before, that Defender doesn't nag if you have other software doing scans? Or do I need to set it to do nothing? Also, when I run the Avast scan, it says in its display (above Type of Current Scan...
June 11th 08 11:51 PM
by Dave T.[_2_] Go to last post
5 220
Defender and system tray icon by Minxii
Today I switched on Windows Defender (for the first time) and ran a quick scan which was fine, but I've noticed a new icon in the systems tray with a green circle and a tick in it. When I hover the pointer over it, it says "Safely Remove Hardware". I've looked everywhere for an explanation but can't find any info anywhere. Can someone tell me what it means please. Also, do I need Defender on...
June 11th 08 08:01 PM
by Charlie42[_2_] Go to last post
4 204
Problem caused by Bitdefender Antivirus by Veerle
Hi, I installed Windows Vista Home Editition and avast antivirus home edition. Windows gives me a problem report for a problem cause by Bitdefender Antivirus, but I didn't install that (I think). It's not in the list of software where you can remove software (control panel), it's not in my start menu and there's no Bitdefender folder in my program files. Why does Windows Vista seem to think that...
June 11th 08 07:55 PM
by Mick Murphy Go to last post
2 234
how to change telnet client color by seamoon
I want know how to change the color of telnet client program. I tried to change the color by using the command color f0. But the color f0 command change only the cmd windows, that is dos prompt window. By the command color f0, the colsole color changed. But when I connected telnet server in the colsole, the color of it did not change.
June 11th 08 03:03 PM
by sturmey Go to last post
1 206
How can I remove AVG kernel interface? by bobg
HP Desktop (1 year old) Vista Home Premium 32 bit SP1. Had AVG 7.5 for about six months (with email scan disabled). AVG offerred Version 8 and I allowed it to download and install. Big mistake!! Gave me nothing but trouble. When I tried to uninstall it, I realized it wasn't listed in Install/Uninstall. But I saw that AVG had an Uninstall as part of their program....so I used it. (My...
June 11th 08 05:12 AM
by Dave M[_12_] Go to last post
4 230
resetting security permissions not working by Akidd
I have two vista home premium machines. I was unable to browse between the two on my home lan. I found the kb article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313222 As it says I ran: secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose One machine completes fine, the other does not.
June 11th 08 12:01 AM
by Akidd Go to last post
2 345
quarantine by quinnster
Recently, I accidently quarantined a program-now, my Windows Defender in Vista will not allow me to redtore it. I keep getting an error code (0X80508014) HELP! I need this program back!
June 10th 08 04:42 PM
by Dave M[_9_] Go to last post

From The