Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Insufficient Privileges by bilvihur
Running Vista Basic SP1 as only user. While trying to update Adobe Reader, I get msg saying installer has insufficient privileges to access the Adobe directory, cannot continue, Logon as administrator. It doesn't give me the option of downloading the file, and then using right-click, Run as Administrator. Any suggestions? Thanks.
May 3rd 08 03:49 PM
by JABowders Go to last post
8 318
Visual-Studio severely damages Vista by Jim Kay
Way back in Nov of 2006, when Vista appeared for download on MSDN, I began testing it. One of the early things I did was install Visual-Studio 2005 with its SP1. I discovered that multiple critical update processes were failing to get access to c:\config.msi (a directory) and I was NOT being prompted by UAC for administrative rights. There were scads of messages about this on the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
May 2nd 08 10:03 PM
by Chris Go to last post
22 686
Problems on eDataSecurity on Windows Vista by El Pablo
Hi, i have a problem with my Notebook Acer 4520 the module eDataSecurtiy was corrupeted , when i turn on the Notebook and log on with my user , then apperance a "pop up" window showme the message that it missing one "DLL" and that reinstalling that aplication (eDataSecurity) will solve the problem. I downladed the eDataSecurity and unzipped on my hard disk but when i try to run the...
May 2nd 08 10:01 PM
by El Pablo Go to last post
2 264
UAC into the (Vista) platform was to annoy users by SG[_3_]
"The reason we put UAC into the (Vista) platform was to annoy users--I'm serious," said Cross" http://www.news.com/Microsoft-Vista-feature-designed-to-annoy-users/2100-1016_3-6237191.html I've read this article several times and I'm still not sure what Cross means by forcing independent software vendors (ISVs) to make their code more secure. Is he saying by annoying user that we are to put...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
May 2nd 08 08:27 PM
by FromTheRafters Go to last post
14 481
Vista Home Premium by AliceZ
I just bought a Toshbia A305 S6825 notebook with Vista Premium sp1 (which I was told had good security programs installed) and someone told me yesterday that the Firewall on Virsta Premium is not (very) effective. They suggested I should use the (new) ZA (which is about 45MB, so they say). They mentioned that they used "ShieldsUP" to test Vista Premium's Firewall and found a "ping" (don't...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
May 2nd 08 03:56 PM
by Paul Smith Go to last post
23 1,024
Defender by AliceZ
In my Vista Home Premium SP1 I open the Defender page and in the upper right there is a question mark (?) in a blue circle, and to the right of that there is a "down arrow." If I click on that "down arrow" it will open another small screen that has a line = "update defender." If I click on that, nothing happens. Are we unable to download new updates for Defender from there? Of must we always...
May 2nd 08 01:08 PM
by AliceZ Go to last post
6 360
error 80070005 by superbob
After three days , I finally got vista installed (even if it crashes at least 3 times every hour). I cannot access any hyperlink, windows update, help menu and network sharing. I either get the above error (access denied) or a notice saying that I don't have adminstrator rights. I'm not sure what to do. I have one user account with a password. Can someone help? I'm afraid if I have to...
May 1st 08 06:50 PM
by mr_t Go to last post
5 315
Critical Updates by AliceZ
I am very used to my WinXPsp2 Critical Updates page, however, finding the Vista Home Premium SP1 a bit confusing. I went to the Windows Update and saw an Update for Defender, which I downloaded. However, I noticed two other updates: #1- Mail Junk E-mail Filter (April 2008) (KB905866) - Recommended (Which I think I should download.) #2- Realtek Network Realtek - Optional (I don't know what...
May 1st 08 04:46 PM
by Charlie42[_2_] Go to last post
3 300
MMC could not create the snap-in by me
Hi All... I've been trying to get a custom MMC to work on Windows Vista Business Edition. The MMC contains a snap-in for IIS 6.0 Manager for administration of some of my web servers. All other snap-ins work execept for this one. The error that I get is "MMC could not create the snap-in". Any ideas as to why this does not work (and a possible solution) would be greatly appreciated.
May 1st 08 12:04 PM
by BrijeshBalan Go to last post
5 408
Security certificate errors and other log in problems by Hopeanna
I had a good post going and hit the wrong button! Okay...I am a medical transcriptionist who works from home. I must use IE for work. I do have firefox which I love but I cannot do searches on Firefox for whatever reason. I always get a "missing link" message. I will give you what has happened, what I have done, and try to be concise about it. When the last Vista/IE updates came out in early...
April 30th 08 11:58 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
2 313
Installing on Vista by C. Price
Hello All, Heres the story...I recently purchased a new PC running Vista Home Premium and when I got it home, I wanted to test its graphics, so I downloaded the free PC game, America's Army. When I tried to install, I received an error about ISKernels. When I searched this error, I found that I needed to download some service packs for Invest Sign. When I downloaded these and attempt to...
April 30th 08 06:26 PM
by John Barnett MVP[_3_] Go to last post
6 319
IE 7 Protected Mode Off issue by JoKing
One quick question. How many times does one have to turn on Protected Mode? I have to turn it on every time I close IE and reopen it. I am double clicking on Protected Mode OFF and checking the box to enable it and then clicking apply and okay. Yet when I close IE and then open it again later there I am back at Protected Mode Off.
April 30th 08 02:55 PM
by Alun Jones Go to last post
3 249
Error message: Windows cannot access the specified device, path, o by Pryhthm
I recently started getting an error message stating that "WINDOWS CANNOT ACCESS THE SPECIFIED DEVICE, PATH, OR FILE. YOU MAY NOT HAVE THE APPROPRIATE PERMISSIONS TO ACCESS THE ITEM", whenever I double click on my cd rom drives. If I right click on the drive icon and click EXPLORE, I can access the files on any disc in the drive. If I go into safe mode, I don't get the error message. I...
April 29th 08 11:31 PM
by Pryhthm Go to last post
2 322
Warning message by security
My screen has a warning on it that I can't remove
April 29th 08 09:35 PM
by Ken Blake, MVP Go to last post
4 222
Norton by Mr. Damon A. Jewett[_2_]
is Norton 360 a good program ?
April 29th 08 11:27 AM
by Spook 13 Go to last post
2 340
Is it safe-Access Manager Password Storage program by David
Can someone suggest a password storage program that is safe to download? I tried the free Access Manager download but the popup warning from Microsoft scared me into not running it. Thank you. -- David
April 29th 08 01:38 AM
by SG[_3_] Go to last post
4 327
Cookies by Midnight
How do I enable my cookies . -- Midnight
April 29th 08 01:21 AM
by SG[_3_] Go to last post
3 290
Annoying UAC Warning by MrKite
I just built this PC, installed Vista and also MS Works 2001. I keep getting a flashing UAC warning in the task bar that WKUpdate.exe wants to access my computer. I can click allow or deny, and it keeps coming back, no option to add to trusted users. I am about ready to turn UAC off anyway. Any suggestions? Thanks.
April 29th 08 12:15 AM
by MrKite Go to last post
6 266
Vista & IE7 Protected Mode Setting not Permanent by PA Bear [MS MVP]
Forwarded to Vista Security newsgroup via crosspost for additional discussion. -- ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002 AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net DTS-L http://dts-l.net/ JoKing wrote: When I Double Click on Protected Mode OFF and set the properties to turn
April 28th 08 11:42 PM
by PA Bear [MS MVP] Go to last post
0 213
Newsgroup for Windows Defender? by Sam
Would very much appreciate comments for the following questions a. Is there a newsgroup for windows defender, similar to this newsgroup? b. Also, are the windows defender definition updates accumulative (if updates are missed for two previous months, will the current update include the definition updates for the previous two months?? Thanks for any help, Sam.
April 28th 08 03:59 PM
by Engel Go to last post

From The