Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Files in Documents Disappearing! by Richard
I have had Vista Home Premium for about 2 months. All of a sudden, files in Documents are disappearing. I told Vista to show hidden files, even though none of these were hidden. No change. The files still exist. I can open a local web with Expression Web link, work on it, save it and open it again. But it does not show in Documents. Nothing shows up in search results either. It is as...
May 12th 07 02:48 PM
by Richard Go to last post
2 166
Drive encryption / bitlocker by John
Ok, here is a theroretical question/situation (Not had opportunity yet to test) Customer comes in door, system "crash", needs data retrieved, has encrypted drive Can I access drive to extract data? Is there a way to mount volume and perhaps enter info to decrypt?
May 12th 07 03:41 PM
by John Go to last post
0 229
Vista Business & Internet Explorer PDF problem by Steve F
When accessing a pdf file from a trusted website (in this case Companies House) and using the "save a copy" option when the document opens in IE, I get the following message: For your computer's security, this file was saved to the Temporary Internet Files folder Do you want to open this folder? Yes/No Assuming you opt for Y to the above question, the file then seems to be
May 12th 07 09:56 PM
by Josh J. Go to last post
1 161
Moving folders from one hard drive to another by Mrlopez
I'm having some confusion with Vista. When I move a folder(s) from one hard drive to another I notice all the directories are still on the source drive. Every folder has no files but why do they remain in the first place? Confused in St. Louis
May 12th 07 11:03 PM
by Mrlopez Go to last post
2 172
Access denied to Documents and Settings, but I am an administrator!? by Mick_B
::I have Show hidden files and show System files ticked / unticked in folder options. I can see all files. When I go into c:\documents and settings I get access denied. This is a shortcut. I am in the administrator group. Does anyone else have this problem? Thanks. Mick :: -- Mick_B
May 13th 07 11:30 AM
by Mick_B Go to last post
0 189
Sorting favorites alphabetically by Bwohl
I have favorites from 3 different computers I added to the users/admin folder. (my account is called admin). I explore out to the folder and sort them alphabetically. When I open up IE and click the favorites button, the shortcuts are NOT sorted alphabetically, they are group by the three different "blocks" of favorites I added. How can the favorites be listed alphabetcally.
May 13th 07 03:43 PM
by Bruce Chambers Go to last post
1 201
cd configuration folder can't be found by tami
i was trying to open my itunes folder and a message pops up telling me my "cd configuration folder can't be found. needs to be in the same directory as itunes". I can't burn any music and itunes was no help. Where would this folder be and how do I transfer to my itunes folder to fix this problem? Thank you
May 13th 07 11:13 PM
by tami Go to last post
0 166
Memory Stick by [email protected]
I made the mistake of removing a memory stick from a USB port while the computer was either reading or writing something on the drive. Now the computer won't read the drive. It doesn't exist, as far as the computer is concerned. I have rebooted a few times, both with and without the memory stick. No luck.
May 13th 07 11:28 PM
by Dustin Harper Go to last post
1 240
Grep by Waz
Hello Help with "GREP" and VISTA I have used several of the grep utilities that are shareware and they seem to have the same issues. When searching a specific file or for *.log these programs only read the shadow copy of the file. I think I can turn off the Shadow Copy and It should work fine. But I like that feature for dealing with logs. Is there a way to force
May 14th 07 03:23 AM
by James Matthews Go to last post
3 399
Opening Multiple Files by M
I am trying to open more than fifteen files at once, however when I select more than fifteen the Open Context menu item and the Open button disappears from the menu. Is this purposeful? Can I change this setting? Thanks
May 14th 07 03:25 AM
by James Matthews Go to last post
1 210
where are my local files after enabling a guest account in Vista? by Rob
I created a guest account recently and i just logged in and my normal account I log in with, now password proctected by my doing, no longer has the local files associated with it. It's like it is another guest account, but it is not. How can I restore the old data view? thanks so much, RB
May 14th 07 06:41 AM
by Rob Go to last post
0 202
User-defined sorting by Dennis Snelgrove
Is it possible to create a user-defined field that will allow me to custom-sort my picture directories? I've got lots of photos and videos of my daughter (yeah, I'm an obnoxious dad) and it would be nice to be able to sort and use the list in the order they were taken. The camera numbers the files properly, but puts a different three character title on the file depending on whether it's a picture...
May 14th 07 07:05 AM
by Marcin Domaslawski Go to last post
1 175
Offline Files by Mike Benton
I didn't hear any response from my last post on offline files. It seems that because offline files in Window Vista doesn't work the way it should, I'm stuck looking for another solution. Does anyone know of any other application that provides similar functionality? Mike B.
May 14th 07 11:17 PM
by Aaron Go to last post
1 191
Vista Complete Backup could not find backup devices by fumanju
I'm trying to create a complete PC backup on Vista Ultimate. I'm using an external USB harddrive NTFS formatted. I have already backup once, as noted by the "Last backup:" information, but I had to format the ext USB drive containing the backup image. Now, I'm trying to create a new complete backup but Vista doesn't recognize the USB harddrives (two of them) I have plugged in. It seems that...
May 15th 07 05:52 AM
by fumanju Go to last post
7 456
How to disable full row select in details mode ? by Knight
I want it to be like Windows XP in which only the filename was selected. There must be a workaround or hack to disable it ?
May 15th 07 06:11 AM
by Knight Go to last post
4 218
Latest vista Updates kill IE7 !! whats "navcancl from ieframe.dll" ?? by Marshall Kiam-Laine
***just installed latest updates, then clicking on IE7 it asked to download "navcancl from ieframe.dll" then demands it be opened, then Repeats the performance but IE7 wont open at all now. Anyone else had this ? i did a full virus scan - nothing
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
May 15th 07 08:03 AM
by Leeyang Go to last post
30 771
Vista Drops mapped drives by Steve Hillier
I have a Win 2003 domain based network which has been running successfully for 3 years now. I have now attached a Vista Business based workstation. I have had a problem with mapped drives, which are set up by a logon scripts based on the server (which again has been working successfully for XP based workstations for 3 years). On the Vista machine after periods of inactivity the workstation...
May 15th 07 11:42 AM
by Steve Hillier Go to last post
0 206
Unable to change personal folders locations by Fernando Smith
Hi, I have all my documents and such stored on an external hardrive. everything was properly linked in my personal folders to correct locations, recently they reverted back to C:\Users\...\Documents and I dont have the ability to redirect them back to the external drive. My files are still there but applications are saving to the default location any help would be greatly appreciated
May 15th 07 04:27 PM
by Fernando Smith Go to last post
2 221
Saving photos in desending order in file by Ian D
I just want to save photos in a descending order after I have arranged there sequence ie auto arrange; descending order - however can not change it from ascending - thus last photo from holiday is at the beginning of my file and thus the slide show is a mess. Any ideas ?
May 15th 07 06:32 PM
by BurrWalnut Go to last post
1 216
How to "undo" Previous Versions? Lost a good amount of work. by z
Long story short. Went to Empty Recycle Bin, hit "Delete" by accident. (Why there is a delete button for the Recycle Bin I have no clue.) Think "crap". Being a Mac user primarily there is no such thing as being able to delete your Recycle Bin. Look in properties on the Desktop to figure out how to bring it back, see Previous Versions tab. Think, "Ah!". Hit the previous versions tab and...
May 15th 07 09:27 PM
by Eberhard Schefold Go to last post

From The