Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Consequence of Disk Defragment? by kanki
After I did a disk defragment in Windows Vista Home Premium, the Computer window view changed to simple icons view, no longer in categories view like the default setting. The computer window now looks like this: http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/5381/capturetl2.jpg I prefer the default view which group the Drives into categories... However i cannot find any way to switch it back to the...
June 11th 07 06:21 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
2 171
Detect "System Protection" status by [email protected]
Hi all there, I was wondering how one would be able to detect if "System protection" is enabled on a volume in Vista Ultimate. Is there a PSDK API that would give the status of a selected volume's "System protection" state. I would appreciate any help form you in this regard. Thanks
June 11th 07 07:34 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
0 168
Missing file by barglen
Have searched for files with name "backup". The search finds the files which I have then deleted. However there is one that is found by search every time. When I try to delete it says the file does not exist. Any advice? I presume its something to d owith indexing being screwed i nsome way. Is ther ea way to reset the indexing? -- regards ....barglen
June 12th 07 02:01 AM
by barglen Go to last post
0 142
$WINDOWS.~Q and $INPLACE.~TR by Yum
Can anyone tell me what the two folders are? They have appeared recently? Thanks although they show no files, once you get into them there are thigns in them, especially in the appdata\local\temp Y
June 12th 07 07:05 AM
by Neil Harley Go to last post
1 222
i can not create new folder by khalid
when i need to create new folder in any location (desktop,drive c.......etc) when i press right click the menue and select new the menue that appear does not conain the option of new folder pllllz i need help -- khalid
June 12th 07 07:54 AM
by brink Go to last post
1 164
Can't copy from CD-rw by ssorrell
I've read forums and newsgroups until I'm nearly blind. I've seen countless users who are getting errors when installing Vista and when backing up, but I haven't seen too many, if any, that have a problem when trying to copy files from my internal cd/dvd drive onto my hard drive. At first, all went just fine...I was copying music and other files from my old computer, then I started to get...
June 12th 07 02:13 PM
by Michael Walraven Go to last post
1 208
Does Explorer calculates folder sizes wrong ? by charly1310
I recently added a Raidsonic NAS900 Harddrive to my router with the goal to backup various files from my PC. To copy/sync files from my PC to the NAS I use MS SyncToy. Problem is when I compare the synced folders in Explorer I get different sizes and amount of files, while it should be extactly the same. For example Explorer reports 8799 files on my local HD, but only 7670 on the...
June 12th 07 02:46 PM
by charly1310 Go to last post
0 188
Can't Delete Contacts in Windows Contact List ... WHY? by R. C. White
Hi, Darryl. HOW are you trying to delete your Contacts? Are you doing it from Windows Explorer? Why not use the Contacts button in Windows Mail? But deleting them from Windows Explorer does work for me. I browse to C:\Users\RC\Contacts, then I select one from the list and use the normal deletion technique, either the Delete key or right-click then Delete. Unless I use the Shift key while...
June 12th 07 03:15 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post
0 190
Bug Reporting? by Abbe
Hey, found a bug in Vistas explorer, but i am completely unable to actually find the place where i can report the bug. So, link to bugreport page? PS. Actually make it possible to find that page without having to resort to asking on a forum?
June 12th 07 03:58 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
8 402
Recent Items not displaying. by Luke
I have a friend who I installed windows vista home basic for. I recently discovered that recent items does not work and I have tried everything to correct it but I cant find the source of the problem. Can anybody help?? Cheers Luke
June 12th 07 04:48 PM
by Luke Go to last post
0 191
Cannot Create New Folder by Neoshade
I can no longer create folders! This right-click conext menu option is gone from Explorer, and Explorer windows which have a "New Folder" button embedded (such as my browser's "download" dialogue) don't work either! I have turned User Account Control on and off (am "administrator" and only user) .... nothing works. Please help!
June 12th 07 05:00 PM
by Neoshade Go to last post
5 199
Offline Files by Martin Racette
Hi, I'd setup a sync relation between my Desktop (Ultimate), and my Laptop (Premium), to sync certain files, but I would like to know where on my Desktop goes the copied files from the laptop, and also if it's possible to change that location -- Thank You in Advance Merci a l'avance
June 12th 07 08:10 PM
by Ilia Sacson [MS] Go to last post
1 203
Windows Mail Messages by Kyle
I was running the Beta version of Vista, Version RC1, when I bought a new version of Vista I backed up my whole C drive to a WD My Book external drive. I did the backup via Vista's built in backup utility. When I went to reinstall the data from the external drive Vista doesn't recognize it and I can't find where the mail messages are kept so I can transfer them manually. Are ideas? -- kyle
June 13th 07 04:21 AM
by Kyle Go to last post
0 173
Restart Resets Start Menu to Default Icons by dangerus
Every time I restart my computer, my Start Menu resets to the same, default icons -- Stuff I never use and I want gone. Further, anything program that I did open is now removed -- leaving Welcome Center, Windows Media Center, Windows Media Player, Windows Photo Gallery, AOL 9.0, Windows DVD Maker, Windows Calendar, and Windows Meeting Space. This irritates me to no end. Is there anyway I can...
June 13th 07 04:24 AM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP Go to last post
1 159
Tools/Folder Options/File Types/Advanced by kvreddy
How to find Tools/Folder Options/File Types/Advanced tab in windows vista? Thanks
June 13th 07 04:26 AM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP Go to last post
3 166
how to show file extensions by dieliebesteffie
Hi! Does anybody know, how to show the file extensions (e.g. .jpg, .doc) in the Vista "Explorer" (manual) Thank you and regards
June 13th 07 10:51 PM
by Gunrunnerjohn Go to last post
4 179
Same problem. by [email protected]
I've the same problem on an acer ferrari 5000 with vista ultimate! I've tried everything... no results
June 14th 07 12:47 AM
by Richard Urban Go to last post
2 201
Index inside ZIP?? by Julian
Very annoying... indexing only looks for filenames inside ZIP files/achives... any way to persuade it to attend to the file types inside and if it has a filter (e.g. Office Filter) to index the content? I have a LOT (word & excel) in zip files, and I need the contents index. Thanks! BTW - what happened to the New Folder button on Explorer windows - another aggravating omission for no...
June 14th 07 03:25 PM
by Julian Go to last post
0 136
Index inside ZIP?? by Julian
Any way to get the Indexer to index the contents of files in ZIP files/archives if it has an appropriate filter for the contained file type? Absence of this facility is v. annoying. I have a LOT (Word & Excel) in ZIPs and I need them to be indexed... Thanks BTW - what happened to XP's New Folder button on Explorer windows? Another
June 14th 07 03:28 PM
by Julian Go to last post
0 150
Heading columns and tool bar settings by Lili
Hi, I know how to filter files and everything.. I just want to know how to save it. An example: Everytime I open a window it shows in "large icons".. I don't like it... I'd like to open automatically in "details" mode. The same happens to the headings... when I open the picture's folder, the headings by default a Name / Date Taken / Tags / Size / Rating... I don't want any of this...
June 15th 07 03:18 AM
by Canuck Go to last post

From The