Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Horrible, please help by Tyler W W
I downloaded something and was asked what program I wanted to use to open it. I chose UTorrent, a download handling program and accidentally chose to make it the default for all programs like the one I was dealing with. As it turns out, I didn't really know what kind of program the one I was trying to open was and now UTorrent is set to open many of my programs, including Windows Media...
July 6th 07 06:26 PM
by Tyler W W Go to last post
7 213
Slow File copying by chas
I tried to copy a directory containing 4062 files and 7.76 GB ( so vista tells me). Vista is telling it will take 9 hours to complete the copy, Ok some nice clever person please explain what is going on.
July 6th 07 08:54 PM
by brink Go to last post
8 267
Vista Navigation Pane - Copies files rather than creating shortcut? by [email protected]
We are currently deploying Windows Vista Enterprise in our school. One problem (of many!) in designing our user environment is the operation of the Links folder in relation to the Navigation Pane in Explorer. According to the documentation, a user can add a link to the Favorite Links section by simply dragging a folder icon into this area. When we try this we are finding that the entired contents...
July 6th 07 10:06 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
2 181
Restore Points Disappearing by Carl
Vista Ultimate is not creating daily restore points, so I create a restore point. Within a few days or week all the restore points I create or created during program installation are gone. I am not dual booting with XP but do run XP as a client in VMware. Any suggestions would be helpful. Carl
July 7th 07 02:09 AM
by brink Go to last post
1 202
Modifying file filters by mgscox
How do I modify the standard file filters? For example, WMP has a filter "Media Files (all types)" under File-Open, but this filter is not updated to include file types that are associated with it beyond the defaults - e.g. I set WMP as default app to playback .m4v extensions to play vidcasts as I hate iTunes. It's very(!) annoying to have to keep changing the filter to "all files" to see...
July 7th 07 09:24 AM
by mgscox Go to last post
0 220
Windows Vista - Folder Types by Thomas
I just installed Vista Business onto my computer and now I found a problem: When I open a folder within the explorer, Vista automatically determins the folder type and if it contains JPGs for example it displays them as thumpnails (Folder Type Photos, Videos). I don't want that! How do I turn it off to have every folder exactly the same? I only need Filename, Filetype, Size and Date... The...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
July 7th 07 06:38 PM
by dean-dean Go to last post
19 405
Copy and paste names of bmp or jpg files by sebastico
This is to complete my former question How do I copy in the explorer the name of ten or more jpg or bmp files at a time and paste to xls sheet?
July 7th 07 10:20 PM
by sebastico Go to last post
2 200
Files, folders default arrangement settings by AM
Why are tiles and autoarrange the default settings? I dont like tiles and autoarrange, always preferred medium icons and arranged by type. Autoarrange messes up the location of my files/folders whenever something is deleted. OK, small gripe, just curious why is it the default setting? Cant we configure our own default setting so we dont have to open Folder Options a million times and choose...
July 8th 07 11:04 AM
by AM Go to last post
0 207
"Last Accessed" vs "Last Checked" by lel
What is the difference between the "Last Accessed" and "Last Checked" columns in the detail view in Windows Explorer? -- Lawrence E. Lewis Director of R&D SAS Institute Cary, NC, USA
July 8th 07 11:54 AM
by lel Go to last post
2 184
jpg or bmp name files by sebastico
How do I copy the explorer name of jpg or bmp files and paste to xls sheet?
July 8th 07 03:18 PM
by Dave Go to last post
3 270
Looking for function to resolve VirtualStore paths to physical paths by Scott
I'm working on ensuring compatibility with some legacy applications. I need an API function that maps a (possibly virtual) path into a physical path. For example, c:\program files\foo\download --- c:\users\myusername\appdata\local \virtualstore\program files\foo\download Does Vista provide an API for retreiving these mappings? Is there a
July 8th 07 07:07 PM
by Gary Chanson Go to last post
9 342
question about Virtual Store by bamahusker
i have a program called MIRC and when someone sends me a file on it,it's supposed to go to MIRCDownload,but instead i click compatibility and it is there under something called Virtual Store but again it acts like it's going to Download. Is there a way to change that? Just curious.
July 8th 07 09:16 PM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
2 198
setting window size and views in vista by עדו
I set the window size (of windows explorer) and the views I want (tiles / large icons, etc') and close the window. it seems to work fine, but after a few minutes or after i change these settings on a few other folders it seems to forget my settings. I tried to press shift or ctrl while closeing the window. doesnt work. Is it a bug or a known issue with windows vista?
July 9th 07 06:40 AM
by עדו Go to last post
0 263
Shortcut Won't Open by greenie34
I'm using Vista Ultimate and my drive has two partitions (C:Vista and D:files). When I create a shortcut to D it shows up on the desktop but double clicking it does nothing. The only way I can open the shortcut is by right clicking and then selecting open. I have no trouble opening it from the start menu (mapped as documents) or by going through my computer. Any ideas on how I can fix this?
July 9th 07 10:30 AM
by nobby_uk Go to last post
7 181
Favorite Links in Explorer by Publius
My Favorite Links shortcut space in Explorer no longer shows the Links. I have reset the Links folder to the default and it still does not display. I liked this feature and would like to continue to use it. any hel;p?
July 9th 07 12:42 PM
by Publius Go to last post
3 206
saving files from ie7 on Vista by vistanewbie
When I save a file from the web and put it anywhere on my local drive it is not visible when I use explorer to locate it. If I try to save it again in the same place the save dialog tells me the file already exists in this location. What ever I do I cannot find the files saved. I have swithched on view hidden files and I have searched the HDD for the file I have saved. I am not able to see...
July 9th 07 01:20 PM
by vistanewbie Go to last post
2 193
Finding graphics driver by Alicia
hi, my computer is having problems that seem to be cause by the graphocs driver. I went to the ATI website to see if there were any updates for the driver and I can't seem to find out what version I have so that i can select the appropriate updates. I tried looking to find out what I have but cannot find it on the computer. Can someone please tell me how to find out what version I have. ...
July 9th 07 02:06 PM
by Richard Urban Go to last post
1 180
Unable to disable offline files via Group Policy by SushiSean
I'm having the hardest time disabling offline files. This is what we have: Document, My Desktop and a few other folders are on Folder Redirection. I have the following settings on my OU that may affect offline files: Allow or Disallow use of the Offline Files Featu Disabled Phohibit user configuration of Offline Files: Enabled Always wait for the network at computer startup and login:...
July 9th 07 06:36 PM
by SushiSean Go to last post
0 138
Windows Search is broken in Windows Explorer by Cryptarcadian
A picture speaks a thousand words, right? So I have uploaded a screenshot: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stephenmok/488280396/ If I search from within an existing Windows Explorer window (using the search box in the top-right), it works fine. If I search from the Start Menu, it also displays the results in the Start Menu itself fine. Search in Outlook also works. BUT if I open the Start Menu...
July 9th 07 07:44 PM
by Imdgonz Go to last post
1 150
Vista agonies by Blue Arrow
I took delivery of Vista on Monday and honeymoon period over - I want a divorce. Seriously though can someone explain what is going on. 1) Sync deleted my 'documents' folder on the server completely - I put this down to lack of familiarity. 2) I had been working on a couple of files last hight and went out for a walk. Came back to see that it had wiped of most of my work bar one file and
July 10th 07 03:34 PM
by Julian Go to last post

From The