.mov videos don't work in Vista, can't convert

Old May 19th 08, 02:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
John Inzer

Default .mov videos don't work in Vista, can't convert

Silverwire wrote:
John:
Thanks for reply, but need to know if you are using MediaConvert on
Vista? If yes, did you have to download (or did MS auto download) SP1
to Vista? I read Kim Komando's report on trying MediaConvert for some
video files and she said while it worked for her, it was rather
complicated to use and I'm not sure she converted .mov files.

==================================
Working with video can be extremely confusing
and you just have to learn as much as you can
and make your own choices.

MediaConvert is an online converter and is
quite simple to use. You do not have to install
anything.

If you wish to try it...read the following:

1) In the "File" window...click the "Browse"
button and navigate to the .mov file you
wish to convert. When you select the
file...the path will appear in the 'File' field.

2) The "Input field" should automatically
show..."Apple Quicktime (.mov)" leave it
as is...

3) "Output format" has two drop windows...
the field on the left will display, "No video
preset"...leave it as is...

4) In the next drop window to the right
you can choose the format you wish to
convert to...try:

Audio Video Interleave (.avi)

5) Left click the blue OK button.

Now...wait for the file to be converted.
(be patient)

When the conversion is complete you will see:

File successfull converted !

Left click the Download button...the Save As
screen will appear...left click the Save button /
Choose a folder to save in...left click the Save
button. When the file is downloaded you should
be able to play it with Windows Media Player
and it should be compatible with Movie maker.

That's it! Good luck.

Not sure how the question on SP1 applies to this
issue. Maybe the following forum would be a better
place to discuss SP1:

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1)
Use this forum for all issues related to Windows Vista SP1
http://tinyurl.com/2kd3fu
or...
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...1992&SiteID=17

snip

--

John Inzer
Digital Media MVP

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Old May 19th 08, 05:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
PapaJohn

I don't use Media Convert....

The new Expression Encoder 2 works on either XP or Vista.... you need SP1 of
XP, but not SP1 of Vista.

On a fresh install of my Vista Ultimate system, the Encoder can't handle an
MOV file as there's no codec for it.... to get a codec, I install iTunes
with the optional Quick Time Player, which is enough for the Encoder to then
convert MOV files to WMV.

PapaJohn (MVP)

"Silverwire" wrote in message
John:
Thanks for reply, but need to know if you are using MediaConvert on Vista?
If yes, did you have to download (or did MS auto download) SP1 to Vista? I
read Kim Komando's report on trying MediaConvert for some video files and
she
said while it worked for her, it was rather complicated to use and I'm not
sure she converted .mov files.

Lots others on this and other forums offered advice for conversion
programs
but none were specific to Vista and/or to converting .mov files except
PapaJohn. Most were for XP which I don't have, or for other types of files
be converted. Most posts on .mov conversion are questions "how to" and
horror
stories about trying to convert (with no solutions) or else they don't say
what OS they were using.

I use my computer daily for several groups emails and information
newsletters, and other stuff online every day so don't want to crash my
system which is what I see talked about on this and other forums where
users
have tried many different programs to convert .mov files with very bad
results. Right now, I need my computer for all other stuff more than I
have
to convert my .mov files although I sure would like to be able to convert
few short videos I took on trip to China 2 years ago.

I could not find any Vista success stories till PapaJohn's reply plus I
found the MS forum which explained why I had not yet seen auto download of
SP1.

Thanks
Silverwire

"John Inzer" wrote:

The following free online converter can
convert .mov files:

MediaConvert
http://media-convert.com/

Also you may find Super to be worth a try:

SUPER © Simplified
Universal Player Encoder & Renderer
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/SUPER_1
(the mirror download site is faster)

--

John Inzer
Digital Media MVP

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk
==================================

Papa John:
You gave me good advice to "wait for automatic update of SP1 unless
you
really need it", and want you to know I'm still waiting cuz I don't
want to
download SP1 from Microsoft since now I know why it hasn't appeared
on MY
automatic update. Mike Nash, Windows Product Management, has blog
"Windows
Vista News" at link:
http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/wi...vista-sp1.aspx
). Nash says: "In mid-April, we will begin delivering Windows Vista
SP1 to
Windows Vista customers who have chosen to have updates downloaded
automatically. That said, any system that Windows Update determines
has a
driver known to not update successfully will not get SP1
automatically. As
updates for these drivers become available, they will be installed
automatically by Windows Update, which will unblock these systems from
getting Service Pack 1. The result is that more and more systems will
automatically get SP1, but only when we are confident they will have
a good
experience."
I must have some of those drivers that don't update correctly and
since I
don't need any "bad experiences", I think I'll wait for SP1 to appear
in
automatic Update.
If you want to hear lots of bad experiences trying to download SP1,
check
out the windowsvistablog.com site and read about angry Vista users
upset with
Microsoft because of many SP1 issues: not identifying which drivers
don't
work, not fixing driver problems before release, no "official"
one-stop
website to address issues and problems directly. MS could have sent
notices
via auto-update about cause of delays and problems instead of
allowing users
to spend useless hours trying to install or fix crashed systems. Very
bad PR
for MS and their SP1.
Meanwhile, what is Microsoft Expressions? Is it something I can use to
convert MOV files to WMV? Does it need SP1 loaded first and will I
still need
Quicktime? (which downloads needed and in what order?)
Thanks again, Papa John, for good advice and clear directions.
Still waiting,
Silverwire

"PapaJohn" wrote:

the help file says it does.... but I'd like to test it. I'd like a
3g2 test file, so email one and I'll let you know.

papajohn.....at..... chartermi...... dot..... net

PapaJohn (MVP)

"LisaR" wrote in message
Great! One more question--will it convert .3g2 files (my LG phone
uses those
for video) to .WMV?

"PapaJohn" wrote:

It'll continue to work... I'm running the Express version on my XP
laptop and just conversted an MOV file to check it.

PapaJohn (MVP)

"LisaR" wrote in message
PapaJohn--

According to the Microsoft Expressions website, we can download a
trial version of the Encoder. At the end of the trial, we can
either buy the program, or let it revert to the free Express
version. I'm just looking
for
something to convert .MOV files to something compatible with
Windows Movie
Maker, preferably something other than .AVI.

Do you know if the Express version will still make the
conversion, or is
that one of the functionalities that will be disabled at the end
of the trial
period?

Thanks!

LisaR

"PapaJohn" wrote:

I did a fresh install of Vista Premium SP1 last night, and just
tested the
new Expression Encoder 2 beta on it... doing an MOV file
conversion to WMV.

It wouldn't import an MOV file without a player app on the
system, so I
installed iTunes with the bundled QuickTime player. That was
enough. The
conversion process went well and the new WMV file looks and
sounds good,
and
is in sync.

PapaJohn (MVP)

"PapaJohn" wrote in message
My website's Import Movie Source Files Video MOV page has a
section
about converting them... with 3 conversion tools I haven't
checked in
Vista yet.

3rd on my list is the new Expression Media Encoder, which I know
converts
MOV files fine on XP. The app runs well on Vista but I haven't
tried converting MOV files yet in the Vista environment.

Good idea, something to check.

PapaJohn (MVP)

"Silverwire" wrote in
message
My Olympus FE190 & Nikon cameras use .mov video format. My
HPm7750n
Vista Hm
Premium OS w/media cntr pkg (WMP, WMC, NVIDIA 6150LE, WMM
6.0.6, Muvee
Autoproducer 5.0, Creator Basic V9-Roxio) all totally useless
pieces
of
junk
for videos because none use .mov files and Vista can't convert.

I googled, read many forums incl. this 1 & find 1000s of users
have same
problem. So far, no successful solution. Some claim to have
codecs,
updates,
other fixes but downloaders all complain of buffer overruns,
lost audio,
poor
quality, or just don't work in Vista, incl. Creator V10.

Microsoft needs to bite the Apple (bullet) & make a deal with
Quicktime
get a conversion program that WORKS in Vista as "fix" so we
can use this
over-priced, ego-inflated, misrepresented OS to "Access your
music, videos
and photos" as it claims on the front of my PC. I feel like I
was scammed by
ads and salesmen when I bought PC last year.

Anybody else out there interested in complaining on every forum
possible
get Microsoft moving on a solution? Is MS already working on
this? I
just
want to be able to make movies and use the features I paid
lots of money
for!

----------------
This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft
responds to the
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion,
click the
"I
Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the
button, follow
this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based
Newsreader and
then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...pictures_video

Old May 19th 08, 10:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
PapaJohn

.... I'm not sure which version of XP is needed. I guess it's not important
as this is a Vista newsgroup.

PapaJohn (MVP)

"PapaJohn" wrote in message
[...]

files to

Old June 24th 08, 09:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
SB Mull

I had a similar problem. I received a video with .mov extension. It would
open just fine on my pc with XP, but would not open on the PC with Vista.
Finally, I figured out that I needed to add Quick Time to the Vista PC and I
did. However, now I can't find any way to add the .mov extension to the list
of file/program associations. Did Vista drop this user flexibility option
along with all the other stuff, or am I just missing something?
--
Sandra

"Silverwire" wrote:

My Olympus FE190 & Nikon cameras use .mov video format. My HPm7750n Vista Hm
Premium OS w/media cntr pkg (WMP, WMC, NVIDIA 6150LE, WMM 6.0.6, Muvee
Autoproducer 5.0, Creator Basic V9-Roxio) all totally useless pieces of junk
for videos because none use .mov files and Vista can't convert.

I googled, read many forums incl. this 1 & find 1000s of users have same
problem. So far, no successful solution. Some claim to have codecs, updates,
other fixes but downloaders all complain of buffer overruns, lost audio, poor
quality, or just don't work in Vista, incl. Creator V10.

Microsoft needs to bite the Apple (bullet) & make a deal with Quicktime to
get a conversion program that WORKS in Vista as "fix" so we can use this
over-priced, ego-inflated, misrepresented OS to "Access your music, videos
and photos" as it claims on the front of my PC. I feel like I was scammed by
ads and salesmen when I bought PC last year.

Anybody else out there interested in complaining on every forum possible to

Old June 24th 08, 10:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Dave

Just right-click on a .mov file, and select Open...
then click on "Select a program from a list of installed programs".
Ok
Then select Quicktime (click on "Browse" if it's not listed, and you have to
look for the program).
[x] Always use the selected program to open this kind of file
ok

However, if you installed the QuickTime player, it should have associated
itself with .mov files already.

--
Vista Home Premium 32 SP1
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

news

Old June 25th 08, 12:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
SB Mull

Thanks. What you said is what I expected to happen. However, Windows Mail
(where I received the file) doesn't give me the option to select a program or
to browse. When I right click, I get to choose to open, then I get the error
message that there is no program to open it. I thought I might save it, then
go from there, but when I tried that, the only file type offered is 'mail
attachment'. Could my problem now be related to using Mail? I already know
it doesn't do a bunch of stuff that OE did and I really didn't expect the
additional expense of having to purchase Outlook in order to get reliable
e-mail on all my computers. I have downloaded LIVE but don't see the
advantage of having to have a 'live' and 'hotmail' account I don't want.
Sigh! The disappointments with Vista continue.
--
Sandra

"Dave" wrote:

Just right-click on a .mov file, and select Open...
then click on "Select a program from a list of installed programs".
Ok
Then select Quicktime (click on "Browse" if it's not listed, and you have to
look for the program).
[x] Always use the selected program to open this kind of file
ok

However, if you installed the QuickTime player, it should have associated
itself with .mov files already.

--
Vista Home Premium 32 SP1
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

news

Old June 25th 08, 01:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Dave

Yes, save the attachment to a folder first.
In the preview window, click on the paperclip, and select Save Attachments.
or, if you have the message open in it's own window (which I never do),
right-click on the Attach: field, select Save All..

Then use Windows Explorer to go to the folder where you saved it.
Don't try to save it to "My Documents, or any of the old familiar XP
folders.

You don't have to have a Hotmail or Live account to use Windows Live Mail.
But WLM is newer, and is being updated, whereas Windows Mail is not. And
WLM generally works better.

If you want an alternative to WM or WLM, you might look at Thunderbird.
It's what I use for my main email account.
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/

--

"Dave" wrote:

Just right-click on a .mov file, and select Open...
then click on "Select a program from a list of installed programs".
Ok
Then select Quicktime (click on "Browse" if it's not listed, and you have
look for the program).
[x] Always use the selected program to open this kind of file
ok

However, if you installed the QuickTime player, it should have associated
itself with .mov files already.

--
Vista Home Premium 32 SP1
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

news

Old June 25th 08, 08:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Taf56

Gspot 'GSpot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia'
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSpot) will check the files and see if you
have codecs required.... and if they are not broken.

I come accross this "I can't play mov files" quite often... it's
because they are DivX or Xvid codec files.

Just download the DivX free kit and try again... 'DivX Video Player -
DivX Video Codec - DivX Converter' (http://www.divx.com/)

--
Taf56

I didn't want to upgrade to Vista... Packard Bell made me do it!

Old November 16th 08, 08:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
zachd [MSFT]

MOV is a very varied file format by Apple. I would suggest talking to
Apple.

If not, you would probably want to ask Apple how to convert it to a
different file type that might be easier to use/work with.

--
Speaking for myself only.