Cannot Extract to hard drive

Old February 5th 07, 05:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
copyboy

Default Cannot Extract to hard drive

Microsoft Guy are you here? Though we've all paid for Microsoft Vista, we're
unable to ask Microsoft support a question without paying $59 because we
can't register or install the software. Having paid money makes us customers
right? Can you come back and reply please?

"jalba" wrote:

I think I'm the dude the dude from microsoft was trying to help. It
certainly seems no official resolution has been reached. Has anyone else
tried burning the file to DVD and installing? The Digital Locker Assistant
Website states the files aren't able to be installed that way but was
wondering if anyone had a way around that? Will keep checking. With so many
people having the same issue some solution is bound to come up.

copyboy wrote:
Hi Toasinger,

Do you want to add me to MSN? I will troubleshoot the problem with you. I'm
in China with slow internet access. It took 4 days to download this file. I'm
not up for doing it again. I really want to get it solved now please.

David

Hey I actually work in microsoft tech support and I'm really interested in
getting this issue resolved. Is anyone online right now with this problem so
that maybe we can try troubleshooting a few ideas?

Old February 5th 07, 10:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
toasinger

The first 3 months of consumer based support are free unless you are running
commercially. I just got off the phone with someone who had this issue and
upon redownloading using the digital locker assistant and running the install
from within that program itself rather than trying to run it from the
execute. His install was successful. Hopefully this will work for the rest of
you!!!

Old February 5th 07, 11:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
copyboy

Many of us have re-downloaded using Digital Locker. I'm now on my 3rd
re-download. Each time I have tried to install using the digital locker
program and by opening the .exe file directly. Each time I have unchecked
read-only moved the files to different folders, etc. Nothing has worked.

By the way, we don't have access to product support. I have a license key,
but since I can't install Vista I don't have a Product Identification Number.
Without a PIN, I can't bother your customer service people unless I pay US$59.

Old February 6th 07, 02:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
peaster

toasinger, in your earlier post, you state:

After all of the files are downloaded, you can launch
VistaSetupPrep.exe (or
simply click the "Install" button in the digital locker assistant).
VistaSetupPrep.exe then extracts the 500+ files compressed inside it
and
links the .wim files into into a folder called "Vista". The end result
is
that the Vista folder is a replica of the Windows Vista DVD. Before
VistaSetupPrep.exe exits, it launches the setup.exe in the Vista folder
and
Windows Vista setup starts, just like if you had launched it from DVD.

When I run setup.exe, I get "setup.exe is not a valid Win32
applictaion."

This tells me it is a 64bit app and my system needs to boot with a
64bit loader.

Also, the autorun.inf is loading sperr32.exe x64

Try to run this file and I get "setup can not run on this version of
the Operating System"

So, i can only conclude that downloading Vista 64 and trying to install
it on XP is not an option. Some kind of boot needs to be created.

And, it looks like this problem is still unresolved.

--
peaster
peaster's Profile: http://www.vista64.net/forums/member.php?userid=1387

Old February 6th 07, 06:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
toasinger

Well.... I'm a tech support agent... I don't deal with any entitlements.. I
just get problems coming in that i try to fix... now i know a lot of our
calls are about the initial setup which would not yet yield a PID either.
Have you ever tried asking them to activate your windows copy over the phone
or something i'm not too sure about how to help you with that or explaining
it to them the way you explained it to me?

as for the 64bit update question. www.windowsvista.com check out upgrade
paths... 64 bits are not capable of upgrade installs ever even from 64 o/s
unless from a 64 bit version of vista to another edition... and especially
not from 32 bit as they are different architectures... hopefully you have 64
bit capable hardware as well. You're going to need to do a clean install but
you can't get the install to run soo really i dont know.. any particular
reason why you chose to download vista rather than just get a hardcopy in the
store? it's a lot easier in regards to functionality and you have the disc
for your WinRE recovery options as well.

Old February 6th 07, 08:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
copyboy

Hi Toasinger,

As for my choice to download, I live in China and Windows Vista English is
not available here yet.

In a month or so, I'm sure illegal copies will be available on the street
for 20 rmb. But I prefer to purchase software because I know it will work
smoothly and there's the benefit of customer support.

When you pay for software and there's a problem, you know that customer
support will work diligently to fix the problem. I think that's how it
supposed to work, right?

Actually, I appreciate that you've given some time to this. But my sense is
that this problem isn't big enough to register on Microsoft's radar map. Is
there any chance to elevate this problem as many people are also experiencing
the same problem?

Regards,

David

Old February 6th 07, 01:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
copyboy

Here's a guess if someone wants to try...

Apparently Windows Vista uses a compression format not supported on Windows
XP...

Windows Vista uses Intra-Package Delta (IPD) compression technology to
reduce the size of packages. If you do not use a compression tool that
supports IPD to extract the update, the extracted files will look similar to
the following output:

_manifest_.cix.xml
0
1
2
…
This behavior occurs if both of the following conditions exist:

• You did not use Expand.exe from the Windows OPK to open the Windows Vista
update.

• The update utilizes Intra-Package Delta (IPD) compression technology.

Expand.exe for Windows Vista supports expanding files in IPD-compressed
updates for inspection. You must use the Expand.exe version released with the
Windows OPK or the Windows Vista operating system. Prior versions of
Expand.exe do not support extracting IPD-compressed data.

Expand.exe is installed with the Windows OPK or the Windows AIK for use in
earlier versions of Windows. Expand.exe is also available in Windows Vista

So if someone wants to download Windows Automated Installation Kit, burn it
to a DVD and try it might be worth a shot. Unfortunately, I'm still in China
and the 993MB Windows AIK will take two days to download.

The link is here if you want to try.

If you are successful, it means Microsoft has compressed a file meant for
Windows XP using Windows Vista technology and they are possibly the dumbest
company on the planet.
Old February 7th 07, 07:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
toasinger

That paragraph paraphrases what was in that blog. Now what I believe you
would have to do is be running an existing 64 bit version of xp. From there
you could do a clean install.

I have solved more cases regarding the cannot extract issue. ANother
variable has been that the download ends prematurely. A customer had a
problem with his first download any reaching 1gb and upon redownloading he
had something closer to 2.4gb and it worked fine for him.

We'll have to get the byte size of a successful file set up posted on here.

Old February 7th 07, 09:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
copyboy

Then would you please tell Microsoft that the Windows Marketplace upgrade
Options Tool is flawed. It says upgrading Windows will work with my current
32-bit operating system.

Old February 7th 07, 12:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Rob Mensching

The Windows Marketplace upgrade options tool only links off to 32-bit
operating systems. Unfortunately, the tool does not do a good job
displaying that it is only talking about 32-bit upgrades and not 64-bit
upgrades. I'll take that feedback in with me when I go to work this
morning.

Honestly, I have been surprised by the interest in 64-bit installs.

Unfortunatley, Windows Marketplace does not offer a Windows Vista SKU that
can upgrade from a 32-bit Windows to a 64-bit Vista. You need to be running
a 64-bit operating system (such as Windows XP 64-bit) to upgrade to Windows
Vista 64-bit if purchasing from Windows Marketplace. We tried to capture
that at the top of the 64-bit show case page:
http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/co...Id=396&tabid=1.

Also, the downloaded package from Windows Marketplace does not provide a
good error message when attempting to upgrade a 32-bit OS to 64-bit Vista.
As others have pointed out on this thread, I captured the diagnosis of the
problem on my blog he
http://robmensching.com/blog/archive...equires-a.aspx
(cross posted here since my blog has been having issues lately:
http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmarketp...g-system.aspx).

virtually,

Rob Mensching
Windows Marketplace Development