Cannot Extract to hard drive

Old February 7th 07, 02:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
copyboy

Default Cannot Extract to hard drive

Then I'll just buy the 20 rmb version when it's available on the street here
in China. It usually works and the customer service is much better.

"Rob Mensching" wrote:

The Windows Marketplace upgrade options tool only links off to 32-bit
operating systems. Unfortunately, the tool does not do a good job
displaying that it is only talking about 32-bit upgrades and not 64-bit
upgrades. I'll take that feedback in with me when I go to work this
morning.

Honestly, I have been surprised by the interest in 64-bit installs.

Unfortunatley, Windows Marketplace does not offer a Windows Vista SKU that
can upgrade from a 32-bit Windows to a 64-bit Vista. You need to be running
a 64-bit operating system (such as Windows XP 64-bit) to upgrade to Windows
Vista 64-bit if purchasing from Windows Marketplace. We tried to capture
that at the top of the 64-bit show case page:
http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/co...Id=396&tabid=1.

Also, the downloaded package from Windows Marketplace does not provide a
good error message when attempting to upgrade a 32-bit OS to 64-bit Vista.
As others have pointed out on this thread, I captured the diagnosis of the
problem on my blog he
http://robmensching.com/blog/archive...equires-a.aspx
(cross posted here since my blog has been having issues lately:
http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmarketp...g-system.aspx).

virtually,

Rob Mensching
Windows Marketplace Development
http://robmensching.com/blog
http://wix.sourceforge.net

Also,

"copyboy" wrote in message
Then would you please tell Microsoft that the Windows Marketplace upgrade
Options Tool is flawed. It says upgrading Windows will work with my
current
32-bit operating system.

"toasinger" wrote:

That paragraph paraphrases what was in that blog. Now what I believe you
would have to do is be running an existing 64 bit version of xp. From
there
you could do a clean install.

I have solved more cases regarding the cannot extract issue. ANother
variable has been that the download ends prematurely. A customer had a
problem with his first download any reaching 1gb and upon redownloading
he
had something closer to 2.4gb and it worked fine for him.

We'll have to get the byte size of a successful file set up posted on
here.

"peaster" wrote:

toasinger, in your earlier post, you state:

After all of the files are downloaded, you can launch
VistaSetupPrep.exe (or
simply click the "Install" button in the digital locker assistant).
VistaSetupPrep.exe then extracts the 500+ files compressed inside it
and
links the .wim files into into a folder called "Vista". The end result
is
that the Vista folder is a replica of the Windows Vista DVD. Before
VistaSetupPrep.exe exits, it launches the setup.exe in the Vista folder
and
Windows Vista setup starts, just like if you had launched it from DVD.

When I run setup.exe, I get "setup.exe is not a valid Win32
applictaion."

This tells me it is a 64bit app and my system needs to boot with a
64bit loader.

Also, the autorun.inf is loading sperr32.exe x64

Try to run this file and I get "setup can not run on this version of
the Operating System"

So, i can only conclude that downloading Vista 64 and trying to install
it on XP is not an option. Some kind of boot needs to be created.

And, it looks like this problem is still unresolved.

--
peaster
peaster's Profile: http://www.vista64.net/forums/member.php?userid=1387

Old February 13th 07, 09:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Johnmeyer_1984

The problem is indeed a 64bit problem.

When you run the installer you will notice that it creates a directory
called "Vista" that includes all the files necessary. However, trying
to start setup.exe or any file for that matter from this directory will
result in a "XYZ is not a valid Win32 application".

If you can live with a clean install this is what you can do (and what
I did).

Backup all your files you want to keep. Go to the Microsoft website and
download the Windows XP Pro x64 Trial he

http://www.microsoft.com/products/in...c-515a0d152415

You will have to go through the short registration process and then it
will let you download the trial as iso image.

After the download burn two CDs. XP Pro x64 on one, and the files
located in the "Vista" Folder created before you receive the
VistaSetupPrep.exe error message. It is usually created in the same
folder the X14-blabla files were located. Obviously you'll need a DVD.

After doing so, install XP Pro x64. You can only do a clean install
unfortunately. After x64 is installed, don't bother with any drivers or
something but pop in the DVD you have burned with the Vista files.

Setup will start and you are on your way to Vista.

Voila!

I know the clean install sux and having to go through the additional
download of x64 is annoying. However, it's only 577 MB, so its
bearable. Maybe there are more elegant solutions, i.e. booting from a
x64 boot CD or something, but I found this avenue less annoying than
starting to delve into the net for a x64 boot. I thought it might work
by just booting to the command prompt of the x64 CD but it didn't, at
least not on my Presario laptop.

BTW, love Vista. After installing I was really apeaced after the big
frustration of the non-working installer, and for those who wonder, I
have not gotten any activation problems whatsoever. After installing
Vista and activating it I have set the system clock to next year, it
worked fine.

Have fun

--
Johnmeyer_1984
Johnmeyer_1984's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=22072

http://forums.techarena.in

Old May 29th 07, 12:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
kothar64

The best thing is not to download, but to purchase from a retail holder,
where you bought the PC, My Vista bought from a retailer who also
installed that in my system, is working splendidly !

--
kothar64
kothar64's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=26128

Old May 29th 07, 01:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
kothandaraman

I prefer not to download any OS,
Operating is a software which controls your system, You must be with
most care to handle that,
All my Windows products are only through shipping,
Shipping may be a good idea for purchasing vista which wont cause you
any error !

--
kothandaraman
kothandaraman's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=26131

Old January 14th 08, 03:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
sbatherebel

This is the message I get when trying to run the setup with the

digital
locker...

Cannot extract Windows Vista Setup to your hard drive. Please

ensure that
you can create files and folders in the same folder where

VistaSetUpPrep.exe
was downloaded.

Any suggestions??

--
sbatherebel
sbatherebel's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=39551

Old October 5th 08, 03:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
spookidiga

student and I paid only $65 to upgrade to Vista Ultimate. I would have
to pay much more than that in the store.

What's really annoying is the fact that I ran the Vista Upgrade advisor
before installing the software, and it said that everything would
install fine.

--
spookidiga
spookidiga's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/spookidiga.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Old May 13th 10, 11:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Mumthaz Muhsin

This is regarding i had got an installation disk of above title to my
windows 7 enterprise 32 bit system (ie:Run sperr32.exe)x64 .But it says
you cannot run the programme and you need to reboot the system and click
custom(advanced).i did in reboot but still could not open the
installation disk.

please let me know the remedy for this problem.

Mumthaz Muhsin

phone:0094773420352

--
Mumthaz Muhsin