vista WON'T boot with 4gb

Old December 1st 07, 04:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Violent Ken[_5_]

Default vista WON'T boot with 4gb

help me vista gurus.

after using this PC about 1 month i finally got my RMA replacement of
2gbRAM

everything is 100% stable with 2GB, but when i add the 2nd 2gb vista
will not boot.

something about sptd.exe failed or corrupt. however BOTH 2gb kits boot
vista and work perfectly alone, but all 4gb in at once will not boot

any ideas? i know the memory is fine

thanks in advance as i cannot figure this out

--
Violent Ken

Ultimate x64\Q6600 G0\8800GTS\4Gb Crucial 1066 Ballistix\Gigabyte
P35C-DS3R
Old December 1st 07, 05:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Violent Ken[_6_]

thanks for fast reply

i finally got it working but i had to underclock the 4gb from 1066 to
800

i suppose vista 64 can't run 4gb at 1066 fro some reason

this topic can be closed

Old December 1st 07, 07:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Donald L McDaniel

On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 12:36:23 -0600, Violent Ken
wrote:

thanks for fast reply

i finally got it working but i had to underclock the 4gb from 1066 to
800

i suppose vista 64 can't run 4gb at 1066 fro some reason

this topic can be closed

Making statements like "Vista won't start with 4GB of memory" is
unwise, since there are several types of Vista out there.

Take mine, for instance: It is a Vista x32 build, and I run 4GB of
memory with no problems (except Windows won't REPORT the full 4GB).
This does not mean it doesn't RECOGNISE and USE the full4GB, it just
means it won't REPORT it.

I have no problems with memory. Why?
1) I am using DDR2 (Dual-channel) memory (not as fast as yours, tho --
I use DDR2 @667 MHz) on a FSB of 1336MhZ.
2) I am using MATCHED 2Gig sticks, rather than unmatched sticks.

Donald L. McDaniel

Old December 1st 07, 07:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JW

32 bit Vista is only using the amount of memory that is reporting as being
used.
It has to save the addresses used normally used by the remaining memory for
use by possible hardware controllers that have their own onboard memory but
which have use system addresses to adddress it.

See the following KB article.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605/en-us

Old December 1st 07, 08:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Violent Ken[_7_]

i'm running 4x1gb sticks (2x 2gb matched kits) of this crucial ram in
vista ultimate 64 bit

'NCIX.com - Buy Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500 DDR2 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-1066
CL5-5-5-15 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit - BL2KIT12864AA1065 In
Canada.'
(http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...L%20TECHNOLOGY)

with any combination of 2gb, vista boots and runs perfectly at 1066
with 4gb it will only seem to boot set at 800, but runs perfectly and
stable

thanks for the help people. could upping to voltage a bit make it run
4gb at 1066?
cpuz says this ram can run up to 2.2v

Old December 1st 07, 08:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dwarf

Hi Ken,

This is a limitation of your motherboard. You have already verified that all
the memory works at its rated speed when installed 2GB at a time, so the
memory is not at fault. Check your motherboard manual. It should have a table
showing the amount of memory that your board supports, together with the
maximum speed for given amounts of memory.
Dwarf

Old December 1st 07, 08:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
John[_4_]

"Violent Ken" wrote in message

thanks for fast reply

i finally got it working but i had to underclock the 4gb from 1066 to
800

i suppose vista 64 can't run 4gb at 1066 fro some reason

Make sure the memory is running at the right voltage.
My Intel motherboard was running my OCZ memory at
1.8 volts but the memory is supposed to be run at 2.1 volts.
Once I tweaked the BIOS to supply the right voltage all
of my stability problems vanished.

Old December 1st 07, 09:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
[email protected]

On 1-Dec-2007, "John" wrote:

i suppose vista 64 can't run 4gb at 1066 fro some reason

Make sure the memory is running at the right voltage.
My Intel motherboard was running my OCZ memory at
1.8 volts but the memory is supposed to be run at 2.1 volts.
Once I tweaked the BIOS to supply the right voltage all
of my stability problems vanished.

Thought about OCZ, but decided to go with 4GB Crucial,
as it runs at standard 1.8 volts, and uses the new
D9HNL chips.
A matched 2x2GB pair, runs fine at 1066 on Vista
Ultimate 64Bit, Asus P5VD2-X motherboard.
Review said
D9HNL is a relatively new chip from Micron,
based on the revision E die.
One thing to keep in mind, Crucial has
been known to change chips to use
whatever works best at the moment.
Seems the gamers all want D9HNL for
its better performance and stability
at 1.8V, knowing that they can push
the voltage a bit higher if the want to
overclock.
Some mobos will run 2.1V, but not higher
so you can't push things any faster if
you buy memory needing 2.1V.
If buying Crucial 2x2GB check if it's
D9HNL based, you can see through
the sealed semi-transparent pack.
Old December 4th 07, 09:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
papa G

Here I come to save the day!!!

I have the same problem. I have Vista 64bit, A P35C-DS3R motherboard
with F8 bios, and 2GB of Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500C5 memory. It was
running fine.
About 2 hours ago I came home with an extra 2GB of the same memory. It
put it in and Windows did some weird stuff. It then did a mem check and
found errors. I then set my CPU and FSB to default clock specs.
When booting I'd then get a brief blue screen. Sometimes I can get in.
The solution is to up your Voltage on your memory. I think it's a
mixture of a motherboard and Vista problem. Try putting the DDR2 voltage
to +0.3V arty:

Good luck! Let me know if it works.

--
papa G
Old December 4th 07, 09:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
papa G[_2_]

papa G;534713 Wrote:
Here I come to save the day!!!

I have the same problem. I have Vista 64bit, A P35C-DS3R motherboard
with F8 bios, and 2GB of Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500C5 memory. It was
running fine.
About 2 hours ago I came home with an extra 2GB of the same memory. It
put it in and Windows did some weird stuff. It then did a mem check and
found errors. I then set my CPU and FSB to default clock specs.
When booting I'd then get a brief blue screen. Sometimes I can get in.
The solution is to up your Voltage on your memory. I think it's a
mixture of a motherboard and Vista problem. Try putting the DDR2 voltage
to +0.3V arty:

Good luck! Let me know if it works.

***UPDATE***
Sorry, I set DDR2 to NORMAL to work (not +0.3v). On F8 bios this is
actually 2.4V. However, after "burning it in" I have set the voltage
down to +.02V which according to F8 bios is actually 2.13V. It's running
fine now.
This has taken me 3 hours to fix and now I'm off to bed!:sleepy:

--
papa G