Windows media player stopped working

Old February 24th 08, 08:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Cat_Jedi08

Default Windows media player stopped working

I am also having a similar problem. But its kernel32 that crashes WMP11

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: wmplayer.exe
Application Version: 11.0.6000.6344
Application Timestamp: 46e5f12e
Fault Module Name: kernel32.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6000.16386
Fault Module Timestamp: 4549bd80
Exception Code: c06d007f
Exception Offset: 0001b09e
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: 8d13
Additional Information 2: cdca9b1d21d12b77d84f02df48e34311
Additional Information 3: 8d13
Additional Information 4: cdca9b1d21d12b77d84f02df48e34311

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 529137659

I have been unable to find any answer to this problem. It only does
this when trying to play MP3 or WMA files.

Oh and hi - yes its my first post

--
Cat_Jedi08

Old February 25th 08, 02:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
zachd [MSFT]

I'm going to assume that fslsp.dll isn't on your system. As such this
should pretty specifically mean that mf.dll on your system is now corrupt.
What is the file version on that file?

When did this first occur? What multimedia software has been added (or
removed) from your system?

I was previously unaware that there were any cases where mf.dll would become
corrupt on a system - if that *is* what you're running into, I would love to
understand how you got into that state so that it might be possible to
figure out how to avoid this for people in the future.

--
Speaking for myself only.

"Cat_Jedi08" wrote in
message ...

Old April 6th 08, 10:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Hummy

I'm suffering from the same problem, 'Windows Media Player has stopped
working'.

Product
Windows Media Player

Problem
Stopped working

Date
06/04/2008 23:23

Status
Report Sent

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: wmplayer.exe
Application Version: 11.0.6000.6344
Application Timestamp: 46e221bb
Fault Module Name: kernel32.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6000.20608
Fault Module Timestamp: 465cf04b
Exception Code: c06d007f
Exception Offset: 0001b08e
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.2
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: 7670
Additional Information 2: 8ff25e19e4bcefd7a1839190db1347f0
Additional Information 3: eef1
Additional Information 4: e61f232622bf80db706d895524f05464

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 641334138

--
Hummy
Old April 7th 08, 03:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Bob

Run System Restore to a time before the problem began.
-------
*Report back, please*

Old April 7th 08, 12:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Hummy[_2_]

It happened quite some time ago, I've been using other media players so
haven't had any need to use it until I wanted to use the 'Download'
feature of the BBC iPlayer software which crashes because it requires
Windows Media Player to function. So I don't have a system restore which
goes back far enough before I had this problem.

--
Hummy
Old April 9th 08, 08:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
zachd [MSFT]

What are the file versions for "mf.dll" on your system?

From the below, it seems like your system files have become corrupt, and you
would want to run "sfc /scannow" .

What changed before this started happening?

--
Speaking for myself only.

Old April 9th 08, 10:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Hummy[_3_]

My computer is relatively new, I've had it since February. I've
installed numerous pieces of software since I purchased it so I don't
have any idea of what might have caused the problem, especially because
I've not had any use for Windows Media Player until now that I'd like to
use BBC iPlayer to download shows (which requires Windows Media Player).

I'm unsure how to check the file version of "mf.dll" however I
successfully run the command prompt you suggested.

Windows Resource Protection found some corrupt files but was unable to
fix some of them. It created a log file, called CBS.log (this is over
14MB in size, would you like me to upload it online?)

--
Hummy
Old April 9th 08, 10:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
zachd [MSFT]

If you open "cmd.exe" as an administrator and then run "sfc /scannow" from
there, does that help?

Right, I would expect that Media Player would not be functional until mf.dll
is repaired. I suspect that is version 0.0.0.0 on your system for some
unknown reason.

--
Speaking for myself only.

Old April 10th 08, 02:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Bob

As a workaround try using RealPlayer instead of WMP.

What software do I need in order to use the BBC iPlayer?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/help/faq/...o_player.shtml
-------
*Report back, please*

Old April 10th 08, 09:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Hummy[_4_]

I believe RealPlayer is only useful for playback of some of the Radio
shows available on the BBC iPlayer. I'm able to watch streamed shows
online as Adobe Flash Player is used, however to download those shows at
higher resolutions and to keep for 30 days requires Windows Media
Player, however as this crashes I'm unable to use this feature. Channel
4OD also requires Windows Media Player and I'm unable to use that at
all, since there is no Flash streaming.

After running the SFC scan and looking through the log file, "mf.dll"
does indeed seem to be corrupt, how do I restore/fix this file?

--
Hummy