Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
VISTA Access by SD
I joined a VISTA Business edition to my domain and it applied all GPO's correctly, making DOMAIN USERS part of the LOCAL ADMINISTRATORS group. I log on as a Doamin Member but when trying to access certain directories, or install application I am either denied access or prompted to ALLOW action, etc... How can I control this behavior? Sean
May 15th 07 06:05 PM
by Marcin Domaslawski Go to last post
1 112
logon by Jesper
Okay I found out how to get the ctrl-alt-del for the logon, but with xp/2000 you would then be prompted to enter your user ID and password. with vista you get to choose from a list of users. I don't want a list of users shown. I want users to have to enter a user ID and pw. how can I set vista to do that? You did not mention which edition you have so the easiest method is to...
May 15th 07 03:16 PM
by RoninV Go to last post
4 283
2 Strange UAC quirks by Arthur Dent
Okay... so i'm running with UAC enabled now (actually always was, just changed from no-prompt to prompt)... Now, i have two funny little quirks to pick on, and maybe someone knows why, or how to fix these. 1st, just a silly quirk. ... I have two shortcuts - one to Sql Server 2005 Management Console, and one to PL/SQL Developer (an ORACLE developer tool). Both programs have problems when...
May 15th 07 06:44 AM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
3 131
IPSECCMD.EXE by IPSECCMD.EXE issues
I am getting this error every time I start up my computer. I have a feeling that it is my VPN program which maybe causing this, but unable to isolate the issue. I am seeing the following error message. Can anyone help? Thanks! Problem signatu Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: ipseccmd.exe Application Version: 5.1.2600.0 Application Timestamp: 3b7d83f4 Fault Module...
May 15th 07 05:59 AM
by IPSECCMD.EXE issues Go to last post
2 125
Data Excecution Prevention by kamasig
I have just brought an Acer Laptop with Visa Basic installed. It came with a program called Data Execution Prevention installed. It's preventing me from running programs I had no trouble with on xp. I want to know if this is a windows program or one that Acer has installed. It basically acts like Zone Alarm except it doesn't ask if it can run the program or not. I can't even run Live...
May 15th 07 12:10 AM
by Manic Mary Go to last post
8 157
spylocked by Phil W
hi I cant remove the link to this web site, it has installed its self in the task bar. It was downloaded in a trojan when my lad was using my comp. Anti virus removed the virus but not the link have tried norton, windows live care and defender also spybot none of these are picking up this link to spylocked its located in Latvia. Thanks to any one who can help
May 14th 07 09:17 PM
by Malke Go to last post
3 147
.net 1.1 EXE in startup folder on VISTA by AC
Our application installs a .NET 1.1 EXE created with VB.NET into the startup folder on the PC. This works perfectly on Win98SE and XP. If the User Access Control is OFF on Vista, it also works perfectly there. However, if the UAC is on, the program is BLOCKED. I tried to build a manifest file.... assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0" asmv3:trustInfo...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
May 14th 07 08:59 PM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
13 190
NTFS Encryption / Smartcard by Michael Meiners
Hi, I am trying to store the certificates for NTFS Encryption on the smartcards of my user. It took me quite long to find a CSP which is capable of doing so. So far it is working now but now I have some questions regarding NTFS encryption. Im am still experimenting around. First I create an encrypted folder, then I export the encryption certificate and import it into the smartcard and delete...
May 14th 07 04:55 PM
by Iuvenalis Go to last post
3 117
Any way to disable Heap placement randomization (ASLR) for a singleexecutable? by Paul Pluzhnikov
Greetings, This is more of a programming question, and doesn't appear to quite fit into this newsgroup. Please feel free to direct me to a more appropriate forum (if one exists). I have an application (compiler) which dumps its whole parse tree into a file, and then re-loads it later (for precompiled header processing), via MapViewOfFileEx().
May 14th 07 04:43 PM
by Paul Pluzhnikov Go to last post
4 115
Application maifests and UAC by Hasse
Hi! Tell me if I got this right! If an application has an application manifest for Vista then folder and registry vistualization is automatically turned off, and the application will fail silently if elevation isn't requested in that manifest. If an application doesn't have a manifest, virtualization features are activated and the application will succeed regardless of elevation or no
May 14th 07 01:46 PM
by Hasse Go to last post
2 112
Free PKI Smart Cards & CSP for Microsoft Newsgroup Participants by Eyal W
Hello In response to the growing interest in Smart Cards & PKI in Windows, the company I work for, SCsquare Ltd. is willing to ship FREE-OF-CHARGE CSP Sample kits, each including 3 PKI Smart Cards and 1 CSP Installation CD. To obtain the package, send your precise shipment & company details to Please note in the body of the message that you are responding to the
May 14th 07 11:22 AM
by Eyal W Go to last post
0 92
TPM Problem with Intel DQ965GF by goldfinger
Intel DQ965GF Latest BIOS 5882 OS: Vista X64 Ultimate TPM: ST Microelectronics 1.2 When I disable Bitlocker and want to reactive it I get an error. All I can is to decrypt and recrypt the disk which is very time consuming. Updating to latest BIOS Version didn't help. Is this a known bug?
May 14th 07 11:08 AM
by goldfinger Go to last post
0 132
Program access control (like in Zone Alarm) by im14
Hello everyone, my first post on this board. I have just installed Vista x64, but can`t find a porper firewall software that has the same functionality as ZoneAlarm. What I am basicly looking for is a software that can block internet access to programs, like prompt me first if I allow it to access the net. ZA has a beta for x86 vista, is there anything out ther for Vista x64?
May 14th 07 08:34 AM
by im14 Go to last post
3 125
Error message by Al Fresco
When I start my computer I get the following message - "Application failed to initialize: 0x80010665" Neither the firewall nor defender applications are turned on. I can turn on the firewall, but the defender application will not turn on. It simply looks for an update and then fails to activate. Suggestions please.
May 14th 07 05:35 AM
by Al Fresco Go to last post
5 148
Telnet not work. by Pleo
I want to test remote smtp server port using TELNET but the screen is freezed after issue the command "telnet ip-address 25". How do I fix this problem? Thank you.
May 14th 07 02:34 AM
by Michael Meiners Go to last post
1 111
How do I get rid of a rootkit by T5
Apparently, I have a rootkit installed, part of System Mechanic Software. Even though I have uninstalled SM, I am told that the rootkit is still there. How do I identify it and how do I get rid of it?
May 13th 07 10:17 PM
by nweissma Go to last post
8 128
What Antivirus Products Show Up in Vista by David H
I have tried AVG, Avast and Kaspersky and none of these are recognised in the Security Center in Vista Home Prremium. Could anyone advise me of the antivirus software it does detect or if this could be a problem with my vista upgrade which was from XP.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
May 13th 07 09:38 PM
by Rock Go to last post
38 530
Logon / Welcome Screen by Cameron
I'm trying to disable the 'click your username' aspect of the Welcome screen. I want there to be a Username and Password box, instead of having a selection of users. I've had it like this with a Domain set-up in Vista, but I'm not on a domain with this PC. I've looked in Help and found that 'the welcome screen cannot be disabled,' however, I think I should be able to do this with it still...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
May 13th 07 06:51 PM
by jimmuh Go to last post
10 222
Parental controls, cant access by Jeff The Tall
When running as an administrator, with both UAC turned on and off. When I go into parental controls in the control panel, and select an account I want to set up controls on. The parental controls dialog starts to paint itself, and then exits out with a dialog that says: Windows Parental Controls Unable to make changes to parental controls settings. If this problem persists, see your system...
May 13th 07 05:53 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
2 136
Please help me fix this... by CCR
n I am working with an hp pavilion amd turio 64 x2. I just bought the computer a couple of weeks ago. I had trend micro anti-virus and webroot spysweeper installed at the store. Now my computer keeps giving me the multiple security problems alert. It says malware protection, and windows defender is turned off. When I click to turn defender on, it gives me the same message as pretty much...
May 13th 07 05:14 PM
by cb Go to last post

From The