Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Windows Defender, 0x80240029 Solution by Gauss
Ixue for Windows Update. - Go to Windows update. - Click on change settings (on the left). - Check "never check for updates." - Remove any other checks (Recommended update and any other). Then go back to Defender and run the Updates again. ----------------
May 7th 07 02:11 AM
by MisterB Go to last post
6 209
Ad-Aware SE Installs by JamesJ
Each time I double click Ad-Aware SE from my desktop Windows Vista configures the program like it's installing it. It puts the Ad-Aware folder in the Programs folder each time so it appears it's installing it again even though I haven't uninstalled it. Any ideas, James
May 6th 07 06:59 PM
by brink Go to last post
9 241
Another Defender Question by JerryM \(ID\)
After going through all the groups testing and suggestions, I noticed that Windows Defender is listed as "Hide", Could this be one of the problems that keeps it from running ? If so, how do I "UnHide" it ? I can't get into the old Windows\INF directory to delete it. Something to think about anyway. --
May 6th 07 03:03 PM
by JerryM \(ID\) Go to last post
3 172
Hiding a folder for standard users only...is this possible? by Acher
I have 4 accounts made - 1 Admin and 3 Standard/Limited User. They all use the data drive on D: but there are a few folders in there that I don't want the 3 standard users to see that it's in there. Is there a way of getting rid of the folders in their view (without manually hiding them because we actually need the show-hidden-files option to be on)?? Was hoping there may be an...
May 6th 07 10:12 AM
by Iuvenalis Go to last post
2 183
Macros disabled? by dfljohn
We just updated a laptop from XP to Vista home. The computer is a Dell purchased Windows Ready. We are using Office 2003, specifically Word. When we try to print or paste, or reply in Outlook, we get an error window titled "Windows Visual Basic." The message is, "The macros in this project are disabled. Please refer to the online help or documentation of the host applicatio to determine...
May 6th 07 07:25 AM
by Rock Go to last post
1 152
windows or mcafee security center or both by SMounts
Do I need to have Both Windows Security Center and McAfee Security Center both running on my computer? I also have Vista Manager and Windows defender? Are they all necessary? I am not real computer savy. Just get by. Easy answers Please. I have windows vista, very new to me. Thank you for any help.
May 6th 07 06:19 AM
by dean-dean Go to last post
3 220
Vista 64 internet security package? by Wally Riley
Hi, I'm feeling a bit exposed just using the Windows Firewall, if it was as good as they make out, there wouldn't be one in LiveOne Care (which stupidly doesn't support 64bit editions of their own OS). So I'm trying to find a good package to protect my PC, does anyone have any ideas if such a package is available? Thanks in Advance, Wally Riley
May 6th 07 05:34 AM
by cb Go to last post
2 193
Internet Explorer closes when I sign into some accounts by PA Bear
X-post to Vista Security newsgroup IE "crashing" at Secure Sites can be a sign of a hijackware/Trojan infection, Chris; It could also be due to UAC settings. Is this a sudden, new problem or an ongoing one? What does Event Viewer have to say about these instances? http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/1bcadb98-7479-4fad-82dd-7f30a80dfa4f1033.mspx -- ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
May 5th 07 01:18 AM
by Thanks, Chris Go to last post
1 213
Interfacing to Samba by Simon Dean
So I just upgraded to Vista from XP. Had a few issues with security, couldn't open Control Panel or windows Explorer, was getting "Windows Cannot Access the Specified Device, path. or file" etc. That was until the Windows updates are installed. Now, it's asking for authentication whenever I do anything. I don't have a working domain server (I have Samba, but that doesn't seem to be...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
May 5th 07 12:39 AM
by Gerry Hickman Go to last post
11 423
Program trying to gain access to Outlook contacts by kristofer@gpsinj
I just installed Office 2003 on my new laptop with Vista Home Premium OS and installed a wireless network in my home. Every time I open Outlook I receive a notice from Windows Defender that a program is trying to access the email contacts I have stored and asks if I will grant permission. If I refuse I get a runtime error and Outlook closes. If I accept I get a notice that a new account...
May 4th 07 10:01 PM
by Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] Go to last post
2 181
windows defender and always allow by Alain R.
Hi, On my vista installation, i installed apache 2.2.4. Everytime i log, windows defender blocks apachemonitor application to run at startup. I've got info that i should have in action menu the "Always allow" possibility but i do not have any action menu with such feature. So what can i do to make this application not blocked at the startup of
May 4th 07 09:33 PM
by Rock Go to last post
4 179
Microsoft Access 2002 Runtime not recognized on Windows Vista by [email protected]
I have an application which uses the Microsoft Access Runtime (2002). When run on Vista as a standard user, we get the prompt than runaccess.exe is unidentified, and asks for an Admin password. Which of course the standard user doesn't have. What can we do to make the access runtime engine work as a standard user? Thanks. Cheryl
May 4th 07 07:22 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
0 143
Can't Enter Password by Rick Raisley
I used the userpasswords2 method to set an autologin for my primary user account, which works fine. But if I then log off, and go to log back into the same account, or to my admin account, both of which require passwords, the password box pops up, but no text from the keyboard is entered. The mouse is working at this point (as is the keyboard, as it is lit up and all), but no key I enter causes...
May 4th 07 06:52 PM
by Rick Raisley Go to last post
0 117
Defender database by Sean R
My computer has a digital TV tuner card and the scheduled timer recordings are being interupted by defender because the database still hasnt got the HD-TV software classified. Can we help speed up the process? Defender seems to be doing its job but it is also causing disruption Once classifacation is complete i assume the Always allow option will become available. ----------------
May 4th 07 12:16 PM
by Sean R Go to last post
0 134
TPM Problem... by JSDecarie
Hi folks ! I just installed a brand new PC : Intel DQ965GFEKR (tpm version 1.2) core 2 duo E6600... 2gb kingston ram... 2x 250Gb Raid1 etc
May 4th 07 04:38 AM
by JSDecarie Go to last post
2 155
cant delete files or rename files by nurselisa
i am the addministrator and the only account holder and i cant delete or rename files with out it saying i neeed oermission so i click continue and it declines. why is this
May 3rd 07 06:40 PM
by linuxcrazyman Go to last post
2 129
is there a free space wiping utility that works with vista? by T5
We all know that files are not deleted when they are deleted they just occupy free space and are easily restored but is there a true free space wiper that works with Vista?
May 3rd 07 06:33 PM
by linuxcrazyman Go to last post
2 162
windows Defender by Alain R.
Hi, Sorry to write this message again, but the first one seems as it was not sent. I installed apache 2.2.4 on my vista ultimate and each time i start my computer, windows defender display ApacheMonitor among "blocked startup programs". How can i do to make ApacheMonitor not be blocked by windows defender ?
May 3rd 07 07:12 AM
by Alain R. Go to last post
2 154
Windows Defender probblem. by Ed.
Windows Visa installed defender v1.1.1505.0 Def. 1.15.2233.6. I get a msg saying "This program can"t install updates". error code 0x80070643. I'm trying to install Def. 1.15.2240.5. Can anyone tell me whats wrong?
May 3rd 07 06:04 AM
by Steve Buckley Go to last post
8 164
Please explain a few things about UAC to me by thetruthhurts @homail.com
I find UAC extremely irritating with all of its pop ups and have turned it off. If I turn it back on will the number of popups eventually decrease.........i.e. does UAC learn as time goes on? Also one of things I'm struggling with is that over numerous years on XP, through good AV and anti-spyware software I never had a problem in terms of a trojans/virus etc. Is there something that makes...
May 3rd 07 04:04 AM
by Jupiter Jones [MVP] Go to last post

From The