Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
IE Proxy keeps changing by Simon Says
Hi. I just recently purchased and installed Vista (new install) on my notebook. I am using AVG for virus scanner, but only loaded a few basic programs. EVERY time I reboot, the IE Proxy (Tools/Internet Options/Connections/LAN SettingsProxy Server) keeps changing back to some china ip (220.181.31.44) I do not want to use a proxy server and I delete it and I can connect fine. Next time I...
March 2nd 07 04:48 AM
by Jesper Go to last post
1 103
Help debug UAC intermittent promts by Rich B
I've started having a problem with UAC. The system should prompt the user when an attempt is made to perform a task that requires administrative privileges. This is only working intermittently for me. Sometimes when I start a task the expected prompt is not issued. I can get the prompt to display by launching the task manager (CNTL-ALT-DEL, start task manager). I'm not seeing any items in...
March 2nd 07 04:02 AM
by Paul Adare Go to last post
7 117
removing on screen keyboard by T5
how do I stop the on screen keyboard from appearing when os boots to desktop?
March 1st 07 07:25 PM
by Steve Go to last post
3 100
windows firewall in vista by aprillia2
can anyone help me. i have skype on my laptop but vista firewall keeps crashing the systym when i receive calls(blue screen). i have changed the security settings to allow skype but it keeps reverting back to blocking the proggramme. how can i get my preffered settings to remain on?
March 1st 07 04:41 PM
by Kirk Go to last post
3 179
Bitlocker doesn't encrypt my disk by NS
Hello, I have activated Bitlocker on my Vista Ultimate. The P.C. has restarted and then the "Encrypting..." dialog box has started. But the percent remains on "0%" and the hard disk is silent (doesn't work/write/encrypt). Hardware info: notebook, AMD Turion 64 with NVidia nForce(tm) RAID Class Controller. Two 7,200 rpm RAID 1 drivers.
March 1st 07 04:36 PM
by Jesper Go to last post
1 124
I can't get Windows Live Messenger to open by Phoukamare52
Hi, I just got this new compter with Vista and have been trying to load Windows Messenger. It has loaded and the icon is on my desktop, however, it won't open. A window comes up that says Messenger has stopped working and when I ask it to tell me what's wrong, it tells me it is the Data Execution Prevention stopping it. I tried to change the settings using the Windows help & support....
March 1st 07 02:33 PM
by Moonshadow Go to last post
4 165
EFS & full computer backups by Richard
Hi, If I have an external USB disk & create a full backup image on it, in Vista Ultimate (using the built in image software), can I encrypt it using the EFS & be able to restore it in the normal way via the repair option?
March 1st 07 12:11 AM
by Jesper Go to last post
4 150
RegAsm.exe on Vista by vovan
My VB6 application uses DLL developed in VB2005. It may be changed very often and everytime VB6 application unregisters an old version, replaces with a new one and registers a new version by using RegAsm.exe I'm doing it this way: Shell "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\RegAsm.exe " & """" & strAppPath & "\WorkorderXML.dll" & """" On Windows XP it works fine. On Vista the...
February 28th 07 11:37 PM
by patrick Go to last post
6 140
How to open a file for read/write access in Program Files directory by Michael Harvey
Hi, How should I open a file in the Program Files directory for read/write access? In Vista Business 32-bit as administrator with UAC turned on, the OpenFile API call fails when trying to open a file for read/write in the Program Files directory. The call is OpenFile(FileName, &OpenBuff, OF_READWRITE);
February 28th 07 10:10 PM
by Michael Harvey Go to last post
1 124
Security and booting by Rich M
Hello, I just deployed my first Windows Vista computer and the user I deployed to uses an external USB floppy drive and an external USB hard drive. This user also uses a KVM switch and a USB printer. When the USB floppy drive and USB hard drive are attached to the computer Windows Vista will not boot. When I remove these devices Windows Vista boots fine. So, is there a security setting...
February 28th 07 10:08 PM
by Rich M Go to last post
2 135
ATI CCC Catalyst Control Center - Allow ccc.exe by hellokeith
Is anyone else getting CCC.exe allow/deny prompt when starting Windows? Pretty irritating that it happens everytime at boot. How come ATI & Microsoft can't get it to automatically run w/o a user prompt?
February 28th 07 09:46 PM
by Jesper Go to last post
1 145
Why don't MSI Installers Run in Elevated Context??? (And other deployment related questions) by Joseph Geretz
Here's the situation. I have an installer which needs to install and register an ActiveX EXE as part of my product. (Yeah, it's me again. :-\ I'm getting awfully tired of this myself.) In order to do this, the executable needs to be launched with elevated permissions.
February 28th 07 09:45 PM
by Jesper Go to last post
1 127
Symantec Antivirus 9.x and Vista by SteveC
Is it required to upgrade to version 10.2 for Vista Support or will version 9 work? This is Symantec Enterprise Antivirus. Thanks.
February 28th 07 09:42 PM
by SteveC Go to last post
3 134
Why can my app write successfully to HKLM\Software under Vista? by Simon
Everything I read consistently tells me that if UAC is enabled under Vista (which it is on my PC) an ordinary application (post-install) which does not have any kind of manifest at all, cannot write to the HKLM\Software area of the registry. Instead, what is supposed to happen is that Virtualization is supposed to redirect the write...
February 28th 07 06:28 PM
by Jesper Go to last post
3 134
Can't install locally generated certificate .... by Art Billings
Hi all, I'm really frustrated, and it doesn't look like there is an answer in sight. I have a Vista Business laptop that is a member of a SBS 2003 domain. Everytime I attempt to access the Remote Web Workplace, IE7 gives me an the error "There is a problem with this website's security certificate". I click the "Continue to this website (not recommended)." link. When I get to the log in...
February 28th 07 05:32 PM
by Haitao Li Go to last post
6 125
Switch User Not Available in Ultimate by Paul Paintin
I hope this isn't something stoopid and I get to feel super foolish, but I don't have Switch User available on the shutdown menu of my Ultimate installation. Found notes online and in the help that say it relies on Fast User Switching, and that FSU is on by default, but I still got no option to Switch, and I can't find how to get it. Anyone?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
February 28th 07 05:18 PM
by Paul Paintin Go to last post
17 229
not able to install yahoo messenger by srinivas
Hi, This is srinivas. i have vista business OS. i am trying to install yahoo messenger, it is saying "unable to change the system configaration" message. i am not able to install any software. Please help me out.
February 28th 07 04:03 PM
by srinivas Go to last post
2 121
Bitlocker: The specified doman name either does not exist or... by DA
I am trying to turn on Bitlocker. I have setup the drive and manually changed the policies since I do not have TPM. Now I am getting the error message, "CANNOT RUN The specified name either does not exist or cannot be contacted." Can anyone help? I have searched the web and this site but cannot find any info. Thanks in advance, DA
February 28th 07 01:12 PM
by DA Go to last post
3 171
Overlapping Protection by Mike
I have Vista Ultimate 64 bit installed. I have read that 64 bit is more secure than 32 bit, but that Microsoft still recommends the use of antivirus software. I noticed that some antivirus vendors offer either an antivirus package, or an internet security package with more features. With all the improvements in Vista, I wonder
February 28th 07 12:27 PM
by Puppy Breath Go to last post
1 96
Static IP address disappears from IP4 settings box by Tech_vs_Life
I have the following problem with the "Use the following IP address:" setting in the IPv4 properties dialog box of my network card (under "manage network connections" in 32-bit Vista Ultimate): Everytime I enter my (local) static IP address, 192.168.0.124, and press OK, the address (and the subnet mask, 255.255.255.0) is blank when I re-enter the setup box. When I enter a different static...
February 28th 07 05:33 AM
by Tech_vs_Life Go to last post

From The