Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Windows Live OneCare by JerzyMarian
What do you think about this software? Now I use NOD 32 2.7. On may I am planning to buy a new computer with Ultimate or Home Premium and Office 2007 Ultimate. I have got Microsoft Money 2007 Delux too. Greetings -- JerzyMarian
March 20th 07 11:17 PM
by Mike Hall - MS MVP Go to last post
1 188
Firewall not allowing SSL/secure sites? by rypurdue
I just upgraded to Vista Business a few days ago. Today was the first time I tried to access secure sites such as my bank website, Paypal, etc. When I used IE7, the status bar would slowly creep until it was about 3/4 full and then stop. When I used Firefox 2.0, the status bar would just hang at 1/2 full. The browsers recognize the websites and sometimes I can even get the page title to...
March 20th 07 11:12 PM
by rypurdue Go to last post
0 147
"Run As" application by Or Tsemah
Hi. Can someone please tell me: If i'm an admin on the system, but wants to run the dsa.msc (For example) as a different user (One which has privileges on the domain), how can i do this without changing UAC ? 2. How can i run login scripts for now on if i can't use RunAs command without specifing a password (In other words, automatically) ? Thanks. --
March 20th 07 10:58 PM
by Trev Go to last post
8 210
Security Center not updating by sntholiday
I removed the McAfee 90 day trial software that came on my Vista computer, but the Security Center still shows it is running and is up-to-date. The McAfee software is a Security suite, so once removed I should be getting an update from the Security Center indicating there is no malware protection. If I install AVG it indicates there are two anti-virus programs installed. Any help would be...
March 20th 07 10:21 PM
by sntholiday Go to last post
0 150
Antispyware Question by Billy
Hello everyone, I have a question about AntiSpyware programs. If I bought such a program, would I still need to run MS Defender or should I run both at the same time? Thanks! Billy
March 20th 07 06:47 PM
by Billy Go to last post
4 191
Windows Defender Out of Date by Zenmota
Windows Security Center started telling me that Windows Defender is out of date. When I try to update Windows Defender I get the following error: The Program Can't Check for Definition Updates Error Found: 0x80240029 Definition version is 1.15.2227.3 created on 1/31/2007 at 8:19PM Using Windows Vista Home Premium OEM. Also using NOD32 anti-virus. Thanks for any help...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 20th 07 06:05 PM
by yvano Go to last post
12 333
app data in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE by Jens Müller
Hell, I write an app that stores data for all users into the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\... path. In Vista, somehow the data is stored but not visible in regedit under this path. What happens to it? Also, I used to let it run for all users with the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run entry. This seems not to work any more. What can I do here to start an app for...
March 20th 07 04:54 PM
by Jens Müller Go to last post
6 189
Defender by Robert Johnson
Hi Although i seem to have succeded in disabling defender in favour of counterspy,my security settings inform me that defender is still running,any suggestions please Robert
March 20th 07 03:35 PM
by Robert Johnson Go to last post
0 152
MS update setting by Mikeb
Ok, I'm getting ****ed at this crazy operating system. ... Windows update is erroring and unable to load a a update. I go to help for the error and it runs me all around and still no real answer. -error 20x101x12029x . In one of the non-helps it says to add 3 web sites to the firewall to allow access for the updating process. So, I go to the firewall setting, over to the exceptions tab and...
March 20th 07 03:30 PM
by Thunderdog51 Go to last post
9 137
Sending input to Vistas secure desktop by [email protected]
Hello NG, I am currently working on an application that can send mouse input to the Secure Desktop in Windows Vista. Therefore I have created a manifest with uiaccess=true and digital signature and copied it to \program files. (According to MS this should do the trick) Unfortunately when I now try to use SendInput nothing happens.
March 20th 07 11:33 AM
by [email protected] Go to last post
7 159
Outlook 2002 Forgets Pwd, Protected Storage System Provider, KB290 by Julian
I just used Windows Easy Transfer to move Office 2002 settings from my old XP SP2 machine to this new Windows Home Premium machine. Problem: Outlook forgets email account passwords at the end of eaech session (regardless of the "remember password" setting). KB290684 addresses this issue for OS's other than Vista, but I tried the XP Regedit fix anyway (both running RegEdit as Administrator...
March 20th 07 11:26 AM
by Alex Jamieson Go to last post
4 221
Bitlocker and PCI Compliance by RodW
I’m currently developing a .NET application to acquire and authorize transactions from Visa, Mastercard, ATMs and POS devices. I’m looking for advice on how to implement the PCI (Payment Card Industry) standards which requires data at rest be encrypted. Bitlocker maybe a solution but it is unclear how backups and shadow copy will work. I’d appreciate hearing from anyone who has some...
March 20th 07 07:41 AM
by Neil Pike Go to last post
4 194
My Vista product key can be easily dumped out? by zxli
Hello, Today I tried SiSoftware Sandra under my Vista. I find it can dump my product key out without any UAC warnings. Is it by design? Isn't it a security hole? I'm really embarrassed... Thanks! zxli
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 20th 07 02:41 AM
by Jupiter Jones [MVP] Go to last post
15 396
Best Virus Software for Windows Vista by Cameron
Anytime we get a computer we need virus protection. But with Windows Vista already using alot of system resources its hard to fine one that makes you computer run fine instead of acting likes it was made 1990. I've tested Avast , Mcafee , and Nortan on a laptop and desktop. Plus on a UMPC(the oqo) Here are the results for the laptop(Dual Core @ 2.0 GHz ; 2 GB Ram) Mcafee - Slows down way more...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 20th 07 02:35 AM
by -Draino- Go to last post
10 334
Win32/zlob by Adrian
When I got on my PC this morning I got a message from Windows Defender saying that it detected Win32/zlob on my system. I clicked remove and about a minute later I was instructed to restart for the removal to become permanent. After reboot I again got the message that it detected thw trojan. I then decided to scan with ny Trend Micro Antiviruus, but that software didn't detect it at all. The...
March 20th 07 01:42 AM
by Kirk Go to last post
1 186
aloha by aloha
/SPANP /SPAN/DIV/BODY/HTML table id="table2" dir="ltr" height="141" width="90%" bgColor="#c0c0c0" border="20" TBODYTRTD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 13pt; COLOR: #1cb081; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; FONT-VARIANT: normal" borderColorLight=#ffffff align=middle bgColor=#000000 ...
March 19th 07 08:35 PM
by aloha Go to last post
0 276
MSXML 4.0 SP2 Security Update (KB927978) - In a loop by Mike
Today I had one new update and it was the MSXML 4.0 SP2 Security Update (KB927978). This update was first installed successfully on 1/31/2007. I went ahead and ran the update again and it will again show as a new update available in a few minutes. I have rebooted and installed again but it still keeps coming back as a new update available. All of them show up in my update history as...
March 19th 07 07:42 PM
by JDLinn Go to last post
5 169
windows media player security question by gary
we currently only have two pcs or laptops with vista. when I logon to our companny network with my vista laptop I get a message stating that it has found the other vista machine and asks me to setup sharing for windows media player. does this mean that the other PC is not locked down securely? how would you disable that?
March 19th 07 02:03 PM
by gary Go to last post
0 161
Disabling IPv6 by CZ
FYI: To disable IPv6 in Vista: Use registry to access: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\tcpip6\Parameters\ Create key named: DisabledComponents
March 19th 07 11:27 AM
by looplocal Go to last post
6 179
The wonderful allow/deny message by Tickle
My girlfriend and I wanted to get new PC's this year and felt it would be a good way to try out Vista Home Premium. We get the machines home (Acer Aspire AMD 4200+ Geforce4 chipset machines), go thru the horribly arduous setup process, and start installing our programs. I soon find out that in order to run Lineage 2, A VERY popular Massive Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game, I have to give...
March 19th 07 01:39 AM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post

From The