Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
UAC asks for permission to run sbsclnt.exe by JohnB
Hi, just added a new Laptop which is the first machine in the company running Vista Business to our company domain which is running under Windows 2000 SBS, everytime it logs into the network I get the Permission to run request for sbsclnt.exe which it says is unsigned! I appreciate the extra security provided by the UAC but it appears from my reading as a Vista virgin that it is...
March 11th 07 01:32 PM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
3 207
UAC Tweaking by Mark Veldhuis
Hi, Is it possible to tweak UAC in a way that everything is disabled, *except* the protected mode in IE7? That is one feature I find useful, the others I can do without. Regards, Mark Veldhuis.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 11th 07 11:01 AM
by ndepal Go to last post
18 321
windows updates by Lawrence
I received several language packs via Windows Update, a total of about 2.4 GB. I however cancelled the installation but i cannot get rid of the space occupied by these updates. Hiding them is not giving me those 2Gbs back. How should i recover this space/remove those updates? -- Updating for better programs
March 11th 07 10:23 AM
by Lawrence Go to last post
0 158
User Account Control (UAC) Cautions - Public Information by DavFChap
For the public, in general: Discussion regarding limitations of turning off User Account Control in Windows Vista Basic & Home (all versions) Undocumented in KnowledgeBase articles, to date...architectural coverage exists within TechNet and addresses the following discussion Background: TechNet; I strongly suggest you perform your own research regarding the following discussion. Windows Vista...
March 10th 07 10:22 PM
by DavFChap Go to last post
0 163
How to download mp3 files by celless
I have Morpheus and Limewire on my computer. I am allowed to download all files except mp3 files. I was wondering if this had anything to do with the new Vista program?
March 10th 07 04:38 PM
by blondie4ev1 Go to last post
2 161
McAfee 8.0i and Vista by Another me
What exactly can I do/download to get this program loaded? I have to load it in order to have access to my intranet.
March 10th 07 04:30 PM
by Roscoe Go to last post
7 171
System retore problem by Dan
I am trying to create a restore point before installing some software but I am getting this message..."restore point creation disabled by group policy" I am running Vista Home Premium, I don't have gpedit. Something I did? And how do I correct it? Thanks in advance.
March 10th 07 02:31 PM
by Dan Go to last post
0 188
Uninstalling Norton 2006 by Alfred Kaufmann
I just went through a Windows XP Home - Vista Home Premium upgrade and it went fairly smoothly with the exception of Norton Anti-virus. The instructions said to update your anti-virus program and then disable it while you are upgrading to Vista. (It should have said uninstall the anti-virus program) After the Vista upgrade it complained about Norton Anti-Virus 2006 and it recommended...
March 10th 07 02:05 PM
by Donna Buenaventura Go to last post
5 226
OneCare by FireBlade41NL
Hello When i install Live OneCare on my Vista PC, security center start to alarm me that i have no virusscanner , no firewall and no defender. when i look in OneCare everything is turned on, but when i look in Windows Firewall it is of , when i look in defender , it is turned of and when i look in security center everything is turned of ? What's the problem and do i have protection ? Live...
March 10th 07 11:09 AM
by FireBlade41NL Go to last post
0 190
Is this a bug at Windows Vista? by MirzeK
Hello, I have a question about Micrososft Vindows Vista. (This link is documentation with screenshot this steps. Please look. http://rapidshare.com/files/18546146/Is_this_a_bug.doc.html ) I have two partitions in my computer (C: and E:). I create a folder in E: partition. This folder name is "Top_Secret". I create a file in this Top_Secret folder. This file name is "very_secret_file...
March 10th 07 01:09 AM
by Paul Adare Go to last post
8 225
How to Remove Shares C$ ADMIN$ ect. by Dominick
Hi: How can I remove shares (C$, ADMIN$) ? I remove them manually, but when I reboot they come back. I do not want them to come back, unless i specifically want to share them. I am running Windows Vista Ultimate Retail. Thanks.
March 9th 07 10:29 PM
by Jesper Go to last post
5 174
Installing a certificate on VISTA by Vance
I have a need to install a certificate from an installation program. I currently use a BAT file to install a certificate by issuing the following lines winhttpcertcfg.exe -i personal.pfx -c local_machine\My -a %computername% certmgr.exe -add -c rootcert.cer -s -r localMachine root This works on VISTA if I disable the UAC. However, it does not even prompt for proper access if I have the UAC...
March 9th 07 09:13 PM
by Vance Go to last post
4 162
Remote Assitance woes from Vista by Anthony Wieser
I've been tearing my hair out for the last week trying to characterize why I can't connect my Vista Laptop to another PC that requests remote assistance. Maybe someone here can elighten me (and anyone else with this problem). I have an internal network connected to a NetGear router. There's a couple of XP machines (XP1 and XP2) and a Vista Machine V1. Now, V1 can request remote assistance...
March 9th 07 08:40 PM
by Dominick Go to last post
1 143
Detect admin privilege due to elevation? by Frank S
What API can I use to distinguish between having administrator privilege normally, versus having administrator privilege due to elevation (where a user is prompted to enter an admin account and password)? -- Regards, Frank
March 9th 07 08:24 PM
by Larry Futrell Go to last post
2 126
McAfee, How to Clean Off, Install NOD32 by JimR
"Margaret" wrote in message ... Hello, I have a brand new Dell E1505 laptop that came with Vista HP32. Unfortunately it also came with a bunch of cr@p that I want to get rid off. The McAfee suite is one thing. It bombs periodically, and I've never liked it. I'd rather install NOD32, which has a...
March 9th 07 05:07 PM
by Margaret Go to last post
4 132
Request Certificate with MMC fails by ACA
hi, i try to request a new certificate with the MMC Snap-In and it fails with the message "RPC Server is unavailable". But i'm connected to the network and within the same domain like the CA. I can ping successfull the CA. Any ideas about that problem? Thanx
March 9th 07 04:56 PM
by Haitao Li Go to last post
3 174
Windows Live Messenger by Maki
hi, my windows live messenger doesn´t work on my Vista System. They open the messenger and than write: Program doesn´t work. And they open the support page and wrote in german: Was ist die Datenausführungsverhinderung?
March 9th 07 01:22 PM
by Rach Go to last post
7 172
Time Java script by T&V Seitz
With XP I was using a US gov sight that gave continuous accurate time, but can't get it to work with Vista. Keep getting an error message indicating it is an unrecognized site. Any help in resolving would be appeciated.
March 9th 07 12:15 PM
by T&V Seitz Go to last post
6 210
Norton Protection Center with Vista always call for full system scan by Vladek
After I upgraded to Vista and from Norton Antivirus 2006 to 2007, I see alert under Norton Protection Center to "Fix Now". It ask for full system scan. I already "full scan" 4 times and "Fix Now" is still displaying, pointed to Full System Scan.
March 9th 07 11:59 AM
by Daniel Côté Go to last post
4 136
Live Messenger port assignment by Rob
I want to restrict Messenger access to my daughter, and the firewall that I have, I can allow ports to be open and closed on a schedule. what port does Live Messenger use? Thanks
March 9th 07 06:23 AM
by QuidnuncSimcha Go to last post

From The