Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
  Rating Thread Reverse Sort Order / Thread Starter Last Post Replies Views
Detect "System Protection" status by [email protected]
Hi all there, I was wondering how one would be able to detect if "System protection" is enabled on a volume in Vista Ultimate. Is there a PSDK API that would give the status of a selected volume's "System protection" state. I would appreciate any help form you in this regard. Thanks
June 11th 07 07:34 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
0 168
Device Not Ready error 0x80070015 by CLK Group
Hello, I'm attempting to restore files from my external hard drive to my C drive using Vista Home Premium, Backup Status and Configuration Restore Files (Advanced). The process starts and I can see the files being restored, but after about 15 seconds the process stops and I receive the following error message: The Device Is Not Ready 0x80070015 Any suggestions?
August 15th 07 03:44 PM
by CLK Group Go to last post
0 457
DFS Replication by Bob
What is the purpose of DFS Replication? I use this on my Windows 2003 R2 server, but I don't see how this plays in Vista. KB930516 suggest that it can be used as follows: "Also, you can successfully use only the Windows Vista version of the DFS Replication service in peer-to-peer DFS Replication service groups". What does this mean?
January 17th 08 08:33 AM
by David Shen [MSFT] Go to last post
2 273
Didnt back up files before I upgrade to Vista from XP - HELP! by I need help!!!
Is there any way to go back or recovery the files on my hard drive?
February 18th 07 01:57 AM
by Dustin Harper Go to last post
2 250
difficulty saving word documents by aggierach
I recently purchased a dell computer that has vista home on it, and also purchased a laptop that has vista and student on it. I have used my installation disk from the student edition to add word, excel, powerpoint to my pc desktop. I prefer to use word when typing documents. I have recently typed a resume and saved it, but when I try to open it, it says "Windows cannot find...
November 13th 07 06:06 PM
by aggierach Go to last post
2 124
Digital Camera Videos Have Wrong Created Date by aznciv
I have changed to another Vista computer & now when I download my pictures & videos off my digital camera, only the videos have the wrong Created Date. My pictures luckily still have the original date taken but the videos all say today as the Created, Modified, & Accessed Date. My camera definitely has the right date since my pictures are fine but is there any setting I can go to so I can keep...
February 23rd 09 04:48 AM
by aznciv Go to last post
0 193
dinding things and installing stuff by smurfboy W.VA.
Vista is more difficult when it comes to finding things on your drive. I used to save downloaded programs in c:/program files, but vista will not allow me to do this, even as administrator. Any recommendations? Vista will not allow me to install hardly anything, like Nero 7, screensavers, webcam software, or my cellphone phonetools for my motorola cell phone, whick allows me to save pics I...
February 16th 07 07:26 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
1 158
DIR /s/-p by Howard Kaikow
According to the help for dir, I would expect the same behavior as in Widows 2000. But the "-' is being ignored.
June 9th 08 05:43 PM
by Howard Kaikow Go to last post
7 297
dir command vis-a-vis hidden files by ROD DAV4IS
Does DIR normally display hidden files? On my system it does, regardless of the setting in folder options. I have to use the /a-h option to stop that behavior. This seems different from what I remember on my old XP system, and seems to contradict the explanation of the DIR command, which says to use the /ah option to display hidden files. I tried to set the DIRCMD environment variable to...
October 4th 09 07:06 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post
6 329
dir command vis-a-vis hidden files by ROD DAV4IS
Does DIR normally display hidden files? On my system it does, regardless of the setting in folder options. I have to use the /a-h option to stop that behavior. This seems different from what I remember on my old XP system, and seems to contradict the explanation of the DIR command, which says to use the /ah option to display hidden files. I tried to set the DIRCMD environment variable to...
October 3rd 09 08:36 PM
by ROD DAV4IS Go to last post
0 212
directory locking by Lloyd Dupont
In our app we have a resource manager which used a temporariy directory in the temp folder to store data while the application is runnning. To preserve the integrity of our data we need to prevent the deletion of this folder while the application is running. How could I lock the directory? I'm thinking of win32 call like LockFile/LockFileEx, but I'm not sure what argument pass to these...
July 17th 07 05:07 AM
by Nathan Mates Go to last post
1 156
Directory Not Indexing by Richard Turnock
Whenever I search in my documents director C:/Users/username I get the message "... slow in non indexed locations". This happens no matter how many times I try to add the directory. I checked the indexing and the directory is not in the "excluded" list. It does seem not to be indexed because only search terms in the file names show up. I did a "dir /AI" and "JUNCTION Documents and...
February 15th 08 12:00 AM
by Richard Turnock Go to last post
0 308
Directory symbolic link not recognized as folder in open file dial by Bjorn
Hello everybody, The file dialogs of Vista do not recognize directory symbolic links as folders but as files. To demonstrate, run the following commands: 1. Start cmd as Administrator and execute the following commands: 2. cd \Users\Public 3. mkdir TestFolder 4. mkdir TestSubfolder
November 25th 07 05:55 PM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
3 221
Disable .zip same name files by ayogiaannz
Hey i have a .zip folder and inside are two files and have the same names.One file inside is a file folder and the other file is a APP file.I dont really need the APP file but when i extract all,windows tells me there is already a specific file under that name and it gave me 2 choices, to TRY AGAIN or to Skip.So everytime i click TRY AGAIN it keeps showing the same message and when i click...
August 14th 08 10:10 PM
by Jeff Richards Go to last post
1 287
Disable Driver Signature Enforcement by Gooder
In regards to: "Windows Vista supports the F8 Advanced Boot Option - "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement" - that disables load-time signature enforcement for a kernel-mode driver only for the current system session. This setting does not persist across system restarts." Is there any way to permanently disable driver signature enforcement or disable it on particular drivers that I need to...
February 9th 07 11:40 PM
by Uhlik Go to last post
2 382
disable file audit? by james
I was trying to rename a folder in my favorites and it kept telling me access denied, even though in the security setting I have full control. Finally I changed the folder's audit setting (forgot what I did exactly, was trying random things) and then was able to rename the folder. I didn't know about this audit feature until now. So it is supposed to log who's done what to a file. How does...
February 1st 09 06:21 AM
by james Go to last post
0 200
Disable folder thumbnails? by Yuuki_Minoru
Can anyone tell me if there is a way to disable the folder thumbnails, but keep the file thumbnails? -- Yuuki_Minoru Been with vista since BETA2.
May 27th 08 03:38 PM
by Yuuki_Minoru Go to last post
2 151
disable the UAC elevation prompts by Bob
Is there a way to do this without disabling UAC?
December 23rd 07 03:34 PM
by Bob Go to last post
0 265
Disabling auto arrange in Windows Explorer by Angelique
I am very, very annoyed with the automatic auto-arranging of files that the Vista version of Windows Explorer does. It's making my job very difficult and frustrating. In XP and previous versions the photos (or whatever) stayed in the same position after renaming until you manually refreshed the view. I can't find a way to turn it off the auto-arranging. Any suggestions?
July 23rd 07 04:36 PM
by Donald Lessau Go to last post
7 276
disabling explorer activity on folder selection by Wally
I believe explorer does a file scan when a folder is selected. it is normally indicated at the file location bar. this scan is quite intensive when the folder contains many multimedia files, and especially at 'Detail' view. can one turn this scanning or activity off? -- cOS
May 16th 07 11:51 AM
by Wally Go to last post

From The