Threads in Forum : General Vista Help and Support Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
35 Explorer.exe Processes in Task Manager by pbl[_2_]
I have been having huge file management problems with continued lockups once opened to the point that I cannot move or delete the file until I restart. I came across a little app called Unlocker that informs what process is locking the file and then allows you to 'unlock' or kill it. 99% of the time the culprit is explorer.exe. I have been keeping an eye on it through Task Manager and it is...
November 15th 08 12:55 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
2 224
How to clean windows vista wireless logon information? by John Wong
Hi all, I've joint a PEAP wireless network using CHAP-VS password with incorrect username and password. Now it logon unsucessfully with errors every time. I want to delete the stored incorrect information... Do you know how can I do that and where should I look for the records? Thanks! - John
November 15th 08 12:42 PM
by Peter Foldes Go to last post
1 227
Windows Installer by Brian[_16_]
When running any Office 2007 application, a box appears telling me to wait while Windows installer configures the application. The program eventually starts ok, but it's time consuming and irritating. I can remove this box with another program, then I have to install Office again. After a while, the box reappears, and I have to repeat the task again. Questions are, Why does it keep...
November 15th 08 12:28 PM
by Rick Rogers Go to last post
1 199
How to remove "Insert smart card" from UAC by Damjan Pipan
Hi, I installed Aladdin eToken (USB smart card) and now I get on every UAC elevation dialog option to insert smart card. The problem is that UAC needs now around 10 seconds to load. Can I remove support for using smart card on UAC? Damjan Pipan
November 15th 08 12:12 PM
by Alias[_38_] Go to last post
1 191
Delete OEM Partition by BChat
Can I use Disk Management in Ultimate 64 to delete the 1st partition on the drive - OEM Partition? Dell XPS Gen 5 computer - Western Digital 74 GB Raptor drive.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 15th 08 11:46 AM
by Rick Rogers Go to last post
10 368
Password Reset Disk by species8350
Hi, When I initially set up Vista I did not make a Password Reset Disk because I chose a password that I would not forget. But it occurs to me that if the password became corrupted by some means then a reset disk may be vital. Is my assumption correct.
November 15th 08 11:04 AM
by species8350 Go to last post
4 230
Netgear DG834N and Remote Vista by jimihieu
Hi, My systems: Netgear DG834N router Vista Ultimate PC. (host) I configured my Vista PC (host) as in this link: http://www.jakeludington.com/ask_jake/20051122_how_to_use_remote_desktop_connection_rdc.html I can access host PC from another PC on the same LAN.
November 15th 08 09:56 AM
by Synapse Syndrome[_2_] Go to last post
1 207
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA blue screen by Maryta
I am using Windows Vista Business SP1 to run an application that is running fine on Windows XP. On Vista, it crashes and gives a blue screen with the 'PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA' error. This problem only happens if my program runs from the 'Program files' folder. I would really like to keep it in the 'Program files' folder, so how can I avoid the crash? Thank you for your help
November 15th 08 09:52 AM
by Synapse Syndrome[_2_] Go to last post
7 250
Problem with Windows Media Player by capi[_2_]
Hey! I have had a problem lately with my Windows Media Player(version 11). Following is the description of the problem: About 20-15 seconds before any song that i play on Windows Media Player ends, the song gets a bit screwed, and it kinda stops and begins, kinda laggy music for 10 seconds or so. Then the end of the song plays, and when next song starts, same thing. The WMP is totally updated,...
November 15th 08 09:33 AM
by zachd [MSFT] Go to last post
5 211
How do I fix missing images in Windows Help? by Julian
Lots of my Windows Help result pages are missing the images (I just get the traditional broken link red cross and "show content" label). I looked at the source* for one on the "Reporting and resolving computer problems page" but I can't find or find out how to find the icon: the system seems to be broken because it doesn't matter whether I am including online help or not - all images are...
November 15th 08 05:23 AM
by Raghunath Go to last post
4 326
Lucky blundering with Vista, PerfectDisk, Secunia PSI and Windows Update by Doug[_9_]
I recently installed the defragger, PerfectDisk. After running this week's Windows Update I then ran the latest version of Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI) 0.9.0.6 (RC4) which showed that two copies of Microsoft's XML6 Driver "msxml6.dll" were out of date and buried away at: C:\Program Files\Raxco\PerfectDisk2008Install\x64\Program Files...
November 15th 08 05:16 AM
by Doug[_9_] Go to last post
2 183
Headphones won't work with Vista by Steve[_9_]
Hello, I have Vista Home and recently I tried to plug in headphone to listen to a you tube video. But, no sound! When I went to the control panel and ran a test that worked I could hear the test sounds. Is there some fix for this? I believe that I have all my drivers updated. I don't know what else to do.
November 15th 08 05:07 AM
by Steve[_9_] Go to last post
2 247
Backing up files by Hector
I am getting ready to move to Vista and since I have a 64bit processor I have pretty much decided to go Ultimate Vista 64 bit edition. I currrently have a Pavillion with an AMD 64 bit cpu at 2.41 GHz somewhat slow compared to current boxes. SOP is to back up my current files. When I do the installation I understand that I will have to reformat the hardrive and I was wondering what wil happen...
November 15th 08 04:22 AM
by Big D[_3_] Go to last post
1 198
Screen Saver won't work by Spider[_2_]
I have Vista on a desktop computer and the screen saver won't come on. Also, none of the power management works. To test, I set the time to 1 minute and it does not come on at all. I have a fairly recent flat panel monitor. Does this damage the monitor for the screen saver to not work? Thanks
November 15th 08 02:58 AM
by Mak213 Go to last post
4 243
Create an association in the set associations control panel by rhonaldo14
I've got a problem on my Windows vista, everytime i click the message envelop of my Yahoo! Messenger "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action.Create an association in the Set Associations control panel."... what should i do? this thing happens after i download Microsoft Offices 2007 including the Excel,One Note,Outlook,Power Point And Word... it's been a...
November 15th 08 01:52 AM
by Rick Rogers Go to last post
1 195
Add new file type icons displayed in Windows Explorer? by Hillbilly[_2_]
We get nice icons as visual feedback for a type of file such as a word document or an xml file for example but not for other file types. Is it possible to change the registry somewhere to display an icon for a specific file type like an .rss file for example?
November 15th 08 01:39 AM
by Hillbilly[_2_] Go to last post
4 211
Vista Home Basic restarts continuosly by Rick[_18_]
Hi guys, When i start my pc before login it shows a message "Windows is installing 3 updates, don't shutdown pc" when it finishes itself restart pc but again same screen, i've tried with F8 and all menus but always the same screen an i can't login, how can i fix it? Regards Rick
November 15th 08 01:17 AM
by Rick Rogers Go to last post
3 274
Vista's Aero by quicksupport
How to turn on/off vista's aero? -- quicksupport
November 15th 08 12:46 AM
by +Bob+[_2_] Go to last post
5 186
Vista & SP1 by Bob
I recently installed a Vist update (I believe it was SP1). Now my internet connection is usually VERY slow or other times non-existant. Is this an SP1 problem? Thanks... Bob
November 15th 08 12:31 AM
by +Bob+[_2_] Go to last post
4 215
Replacing Vista with Windows 7 by Rosemary[_3_]
I have just ordered a new PC which will have Vista. In fact it will arrive today. Now I discover that Windows 7 will be out soon, maybe Jan. 09. Is there any advantage to replacing Vista with the new Win 7? The hard drive is failing on my present PC so I couldn't wait for the new Win 7. -- Rosemary
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 15th 08 12:23 AM
by +Bob+[_2_] Go to last post

From The