Threads in Forum : Networking with Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Not being prompted for encryption key by 4hits
Dell XPS M1530, Vista Home, Linksys WRT54GS. For the past 2 years I have had my XP desktop and my XP notebook connected wirelessly - WEP encryption - to my Linksys router with zero problems. Last night I tried to connect my new Dell to my network - the computer sees my network so I click on it - but I am not being prompted to enter the WEP key. The message say it cannot connect.
August 13th 08 10:39 PM
by 4hits Go to last post
3 296
Windows Vista - Changing Share Name by 5MinutePhoto
Is there a way to create a share on a folder and change the name of the share to something other than the name of the folder in Vista (like I could in XP)? I don't see a place to change the name of the share - just gives the folder name as the share name. I have an application (on a different machine) that is trying to look for a specific share name, so I need to change the share name of a...
February 9th 07 06:37 PM
by Steve Winograd [MVP] Go to last post
1 238
Maximum number of Mapped Drives with Vista by 65gt
Does Vista have the same limitation of 10 maximum mapped drives?
August 2nd 07 04:10 PM
by 65gt Go to last post
0 241
XP Does not detect Vista-hosted LAN Games by 6inger|3read@ssassin
I've tried everything I can think of; disabling IPv6, LLTD, installing the LLTD patch on xp, turning off all firewalls, file sharing, etc.. Nothing seems to work. I'll start a listen game server on the vista computer because it's mine and it's much more powerful than the XP computer. When I try to find a server on the LAN browser, nothing come up. If I host from the XP machine, the Vista...
April 13th 08 01:31 AM
by Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)[_674_] Go to last post
4 319
Wireless Problems by 7337
I bought a new laptop yesterday Acer Aspire 5920G 4GB RAM Intel Dual Core. Yesterday afternoon my internet was working fine. In the evening however I was only getting a Local Only connection I could still ping my new laptop with the old one and ping the router with both. This morning I can't do a traceroute or ping the new laptop. It says reply from 192.168.0.3 (I'm pinging 0.2) destination...
November 21st 08 09:37 AM
by Steve Winograd Go to last post
1 354
Vista networking by 79-911SC
I have three Vista machines and 3 XP Pro machines in a peer-to-peer setting. The network function on a particular Vista machine will wrk fine and the then quit working while nothing is gin on. Sometimes a reoot will work, smetimes not. While trying to reestablish the network, the "dependency group failed to start" message appears.Most of the network service items in the services applet seem...
July 2nd 07 11:24 PM
by 79-911SC Go to last post
4 283
WPA on Vista not WPA Enterprise by 99XJ
I've narrowed my problem down to this: I have the D-Link DIR-625-C router set to "WPA Personal" - "WPA Only", My laptop with XP and a Linksys adaptor prompt for a passphrase as should be, (and my iPod-Touch) but my sons PC has Vista installed and a D-Link USB adaptor, It prompts for "additional credentials" and the log on screen as used for "WPA2 Enterprise" (see this link, scroll down...
April 16th 09 10:27 PM
by 99XJ Go to last post
2 348
Wireless problem on Vista by 99XJ
I'm re-posting this because it is only visible online at the MS website, not on NewsReaders so.... (I'll try again)... I just installed a D-Link DIR-625 router, before, we had a Linksys router with no issues whatsoever. (This is in secure WPA mode, there is no problem in "unsecure" mode) My sons PC has Vista installed. He has a D-Link wireless usb adaptor. Before, with the Linksys router,...
April 16th 09 01:22 PM
by Frankster Go to last post
6 311
wireless on VISTA problem by 99XJ[_2_]
"99XJ" wrote: I just installed a D-Link DIR-625 router, before, we had a Linksys router with no issues whatsoever. (This is in secure WPA mode, there is no problem in "unsecure" mode) My sons PC has Vista installed. He has a D-Link wireless usb adaptor. Before, with the Linksys router, hookup was as would be expected, find the SSID, click, a prompt for passphrase, sweet. Now...
April 15th 09 01:48 AM
by 99XJ[_2_] Go to last post
0 348
Networking / DSL / Internet Problems. Please Help! by =\(8\)
Hello, I am desperate need of some networking help. I recently purchased a Linksys WRT54G Wireless router to use with two desktop computers (One Windows Vista Ultimate and One Windows XP Home) I have both desktop systems connected to the router using wires. I have my notebook computer connected wirelessly as well as my AppleTV unit connected wirelessly. This is why I bought the wireless...
June 6th 07 10:21 PM
by =\(8\) Go to last post
2 201
Ad Hoc -iPod by >Chris
I managed to set up an ad hoc connection multiple amounts of times with an ad hoc connection to my iPod but lately it has stopped working ..The ip address that is coming up on the iPod is a 169.254.xxx.xxx I have read about this type of ip but I have no idea on how to fix it ,my suspicion is that this is causing my connection problem .Any help would be brilliant Thanks!
March 16th 08 09:58 PM
by >Chris Go to last post
0 228
incorrect function by A
Since upgrading to SP1, I can't turn on file sharing, network discovery, printer sharing, etc. Attempting to do so and pressing the Apply button returns this error message. How do I fix this? Thanks.
May 4th 08 04:53 AM
by A Go to last post
1 196
Vista can't see XP TabletPC by A
I have a Linksys wireless router, a wireless enabled TabletPC, and a desktop connected to the router via ethernet cable. The TabletPC can access the internet thru the router, and can see and access the Vista desktop. It can also use a printer connected to the Vista desktop. My Vista desktop can't see, or access, the TabletPC come hell or high water. I have matching user accounts on both...
March 20th 07 12:40 PM
by A Go to last post
4 268
Error code: 0x80070035 The network path was not found by A Baffled User
My HP Pavilion a6250t desktop computer running Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 is attached to an HP Pavilion ze4900 notebook computer running Windows XP SP3 via a Linksys WRT54G router. The desktop is attched via ethernet cable to port no. 1 on the router, and the notebook is attached to port no. 2. I have been set up the same way for over a year, and everything has always been fine. Last...
May 14th 09 04:57 PM
by athens71 Go to last post
4 367
wireless network connect/disconnect by A Call
For some reason my VISTA laptop, stopped connecting to my wireless lan. (Laptop was shut down inappropriately, which I'm thinking might have messed up some registry keys??? I don't know??) SO, now the laptop shows the wireless network(excellent strength) but disconnects instantly after attempting to connect. Any ideas??? (If I plug in the cable, can get right on the lan, but what's the use...
October 11th 07 05:46 AM
by A Call Go to last post
2 175
Vista Home Premium and XP PRO by A G
Like many here, I cannot get networking to work. XP ipconfig is 192.168.0.100 Vista ipconfig is IPv4 address 192.168.0.101 On a dlink router. So far I have tried my best to turn off all 3rd party firewall software (Norton or McAfee).
February 26th 07 03:33 AM
by Robert L [MVP - Networking] Go to last post
2 244
Networking is way too complicated by A G
This may appear as venting, but really its not. I read the network thread trying to get a network working between Vista and Xp machines. After many hours and frustration I found a software solution called Network Magic. It worked so fast it was ridiculous. I don't work for the vendor nor am I affiliated in any way.
March 5th 07 06:04 AM
by James Wilson Go to last post
2 264
Having problems getting into a windows 2000 network by A Teen
I am not a computer genius, so bare with me here. I just got a new computer at my workplace (which works basically like a home network would) and I am having problems accessing a windows 2000 based computer. My problem is that when I type in my username to get into the network, it adds my computer name. Like if I typed wma, it would say mikedesktop\wma. Does anybody know a way that I can...
March 2nd 07 09:15 AM
by Richard G. Harper Go to last post
1 205
Vista + Wireless = @!$%&* by A. Robinson
I have been literally trying for weeks to connect to a certain wireless network and have had ZERO luck....! There are three available networks within the realm of my house: NETWORK1, NETWORK2, and NETWORK3. NETWORK1 is a "local" wireless network (the wireless router and internet connection are in my house). NETWORK1 has WEP enabled. NETRWORK2 and NETWORK3 are not in my house. WEP is not...
September 13th 07 09:55 PM
by Chuck [MVP] Go to last post
5 201
Networking services blocking internet, eating 50% CPU by a.k.a.[_3_]
Hello everyone, Your help will be very valuable right now. I'm running Windows Server 2008 x64 as a laptop/client OS on a Lenovo ThinkPad T61p -- yet I'm certain that the same issue applies to Vista x64, so I would appreciate your assistance in this forum. I'm still very much a learner, so please break the troubleshooting down into simple walkthroughs if you can. As soon as I flip on the...
March 23rd 09 09:09 PM
by Bill Kearney Go to last post

From The