Threads in Forum : Networking with Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
With a Fresh Boot Vista Will Not See Network Shares by Zandor
With a Fresh Boot Vista Will Not See Network Shares. what i mean by this is sometimes when i boot vista it will see the network but it will not see the other computers or printers on the network. this is a problem carried over from windows xp it does not happen with every boot maybe every other boot it happens more than it did in xp though. the windows network diagnostic tools are useless...
August 8th 07 07:10 AM
by Greg Go to last post
2 153
Can no longer access Expert mode in Westell 2200 by Zan Mayo Glodich
Hi -- My new desktop has Vista Ultimate 32bit. For all the years that I have had the Westell 2200 modem, I have been able to access Expert mode to do port forwarding. Now when I click on Expert mode, I get the confirmation but then none of the options such as Configure, NAT, etc. appear at the left. How can I get this back? Thanks.
November 17th 08 02:48 PM
by tempgal Go to last post
3 310
File Sharing in Multi-Operating System Community by Zakhary
I have searched far and wide and not been able to find a way to fix my problem. I recently got a new Vista machine - not because of a desire, but because of it becoming necessary. Anyhow, I have taken the steps to establish a network and have assured that the same network ID is on all computers. The several operating systems include Windows 98, XP Home Edition, and Vista Home Premium. The...
May 1st 08 05:21 PM
by Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)[_761_] Go to last post
7 228
File Sharing in Multi-Operating System Enviornment by Zakhary
I have searched far and wide and not been able to find a way to fix my problem. I recently got a new Vista machine - not because of a desire, but because of it becoming necessary. Anyhow, I have taken the steps to establish a network and have assured that the same network ID is on all computers. The operating systems include XP Home Edition, and Vista Home Premium. The Vista Machine is...
April 6th 08 08:45 PM
by Mick Murphy Go to last post
1 182
Shrinking system partition by [email protected]
I have a dual-boot configuration with XP on my C partition, also the system partition, and Vista on my V partition. I also have several partitions in between including G immediately following C. What I'm trying to do is insert a new partition between C and G, shring either C or G or both. Although I have 5.37 GB free on C, Computer Management shows only 23 MB available shrink space, even though I...
December 10th 06 05:22 AM
by Bob Headrick Go to last post
1 169
Connecting to xbox live with internet sharing by Zak Webster
I have a laptop with vista premium. It is connected to the internet wirelessly through a linksys router that is connected to my comcast modem. I am able to media share with the xbox 360 with no problems. I am not able to sign on to xbox live however and the xbox fails any test for connecting. Can anyone help. I've tried the the procedures listed by microsoft. No success.
June 23rd 07 10:30 PM
by Zak Webster Go to last post
0 251
Can't open mapped network drive by zainladris
Hello, Well what happens is on My computer i have a mapped drive (P:/NAS) that is connected to another PC if i double click it it doesn't open says i don't have enough rights but if I right click it and press either open or explore it opens fine. what could it be? PS: I noticed that i have 2 opens when I right click the drive one is "Open (0)" and the other is normal "Open"
October 16th 08 12:42 PM
by zainladris Go to last post
0 278
Networking "self-destructs" after joining Windows 2003 Domain by ZackMan18
I realize that this has been posted before, but no solution seems to be found. This is a HUGE problem and will abosolutely prevent any rollout of Vista in my organization if there is no solution to this problem. Basically, the problem is this: - New Vista setup (new install or upgrade using RC1) works fine until joined to the Win2K3 domain. - After joining the Win2K3 domain, Vista still...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
June 5th 08 03:46 PM
by Steve Go to last post
13 446
Networking "self-destructs" after joining Windows 2003 Domain by ZackMan18
I realize that this has been posted before, but no solution seems to be found. This is a HUGE problem and will abosolutely prevent any rollout of Vista in my organization if there is no solution to this problem. Basically, the problem is this: - New Vista setup (new install or upgrade) works fine until joined to the Win2K3 domain. - After joining the Win2K3 domain, Vista still OK after...
October 18th 06 08:52 AM
by Nick Payne Go to last post
1 246
Net Send and Msg by zachlr
I understand that Net Send was replaced with Msg in Vista Business and Ultimate, but not Home. I am wondering if there is an application that will allow you to send and receive Net Send messages for Vista Home Premium. Surprisingly I am having a lot of trouble finding a program for this that works. I have tried Win Sent, but upon trying to send a message, I get an Access Violation message, and...
February 21st 09 04:54 PM
by Jack \(MVP-Networking\). Go to last post
3 272
Aargh - accessing Vista share from XP?? by zach
I'm getting really frustrated trying to access a Vista share from XP. Now, before you jump the gun with one of the standard suggestions, please read: 1) I CAN access a share on the XP Pro share from the Vista Home Premium machine. 2) I CAN access a Public share on Vista with no problem. 3) I CAN access a share on Vista that has Everyone permissions. 4) I CANNOT access an administrative share on...
December 18th 08 11:49 AM
by Zaphod Beeblebrox Go to last post
5 344
Backups over Network by Zach
When running the Vista Backups wizard, I select "Network" for the destination of the backups, I select the target folder (XP PC's shared folder), I get prompted for user ID and pswd and enter both (formatted user ID as XPCOMPUTERNAME\USER ID). I get message back "No mapping between account names and security IDs was done (0x80070534)". However, I have no problem just copying files using...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
February 17th 10 09:30 AM
by cafeolai Go to last post
11 672
Writing to an XP Folder by Zach
Running Windows/XP Professional and Vista on two PCs. I can write to a shared folders on the Vista PC from the XP PC but not the other way around. I am being prompted for a user ID and password and when I enter a valid XP User Account ID and password, it still does not work. Is there a way to write to shared XP folder from Vista the way it works from XP to Vista without having to enter...
December 10th 07 12:17 AM
by Jeffrey Randow Go to last post
6 190
Accessing Vista Resources from XP by Zach
In my Vista PC, have several folders defined as sharable and with full control. NETBIOS is enabled on both Vista and 2 XP PCs. I can access XP folders from Vista but not Vista folders from XP. Have turned-off Norton and still have the problem (Windows FW is off for both Vista and XP). No problem accessing shared XP folders from XP. Any ideas on what the problem is ? -- Zach
December 6th 07 06:36 PM
by Mick Murphy Go to last post
1 201
Network software question by z5o
Does anyone of a peace of software that you allow me to see exactly whats going on with my connection to the internet. Im looking for something that would alert me to questable traffic. Thanks
May 16th 08 07:08 AM
by john_cena Go to last post
1 232
XP does not see Windows 7 by Z.K.
I am trying to use my Windows 7 on my home network and I am having some trouble. I have two XP machines, one is professional and the other is home and I am using Windows 7 Professional. I shared a folder in Windows 7, but in XP Professional, in My Network Places, it does not even see the Windows 7 machine though I can ping the ip address. In Windows 7, I can see my XP Professional machine,...
March 7th 10 09:28 AM
by Z.K. Go to last post
2 538
XP does not see Windows 7 by Z.K.
I am trying to use my Windows 7 on my home network and I am having some trouble. I have two XP machines, one is professional and the other is home and I am using Windows 7 Professional. I shared a folder in Windows 7, but in XP Professional, in My Network Places, it does not even see the Windows 7 machine though I can ping the ip address. In Windows 7, I can see my XP Professional machine,...
March 7th 10 04:49 AM
by Z.K. Go to last post
0 375
How do I get dialup idle timeout to work with incoming network pro by yyj
My problem is that the idle disconnect feature does not work for me under Vista Premium. I get traffic every so often from the internet, and that seems to reset the timeout. If I go into the "network connections folder" - "properties" on my modem connection - "options tab" ... I can see a box labeled "idle threshold" but it is greyed out. Ideally I would like to find a idle timeout that...
October 4th 07 03:49 PM
by yyj Go to last post
0 155
WiFi and Internet by Yvette_T_64
I have a wireless network that Windows XP clients can connect to the Internet on. But this Vista machine cannot connect - the connection icon shows only Local, not Local and Internet. Have I missed a configuration setting
March 24th 07 12:45 AM
by Robert L [MVP - Networking] Go to last post
1 167
Password protected sharing by Yves Berquin
How can I turn on or off Vista's "Password protected sharing" option through an API? Tx Yves
April 17th 07 07:53 AM
by Yves Berquin Go to last post

From The