Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Boot up issues by Amanda
Everytime I try to start boot up my laptop, Vista will not display the logon screen. It just sits at a black screen. Any suggestions????
October 3rd 07 09:33 PM
by tugboat6 Go to last post
3 107
Is Vista really *using* those 800MB, or just reserving them? by [email protected]
On my laptop (2.5 GB RAM) the Task Manager says that memory usage is 800MB. Sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on other programs running. I'm aware that Vista is supposed to be caching things and such, but I haven't found a discussion about how much memory Vista needs all by itself. For example, an XP computer with similar configuration (same brand anti-virus, fairly clean of little...
October 3rd 07 11:25 PM
by Kurt Herman Go to last post
8 92
Windows Calendar by MehradSys
Hello, How can i subscribe windows calendar to iran calendar ? i can't find any services
October 4th 07 03:20 AM
by Dave T.[_2_] Go to last post
1 77
Disable theme modification (Aero to Basic) by Leonard
My laptop is VAIO SZ4 (Core 2 Duo T5500, 1GB RAM, Vista Home premium). The default theme is Windows Aero and I like it. The problem is, when the system memory is low after I open a lot of applications, esp. MATLAB 2007a with 60 figures), Vista will change Windows Aereo to Windows Vista Basic to boost system performance. This is not desirable. Is there a way to disable this theme downgrade?...
October 4th 07 04:16 AM
by Leonard Go to last post
0 89
Screensaver Issue; No Wireless Mouse or Keyboard by Alice
I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 with Windows Vista Home Basic. My screensaver doesn't come on at all -- I've checked all performance/energy options and when I press Preview for the screensaver, it flashes on quickly then disappears a moment later. I noticed another issue that seems to be related: When I use AOL Instant Messenger, I never go idle (hence, my screensaver never turns on). There has...
October 4th 07 05:59 AM
by Alice Go to last post
0 99
Annoying quirk... can you help? by anthrorob
When I right click in my browser (Maxthon classic and I also use Maxthon2) I scroll down and choose a function (like open in new window, etc.) and the thin strip of rightclick menu that has that function sticks around ontop of ANY app I run, even after I shut down the browsers. It stays ontop of the desktop, this fantom strip of menu (words included)...it is only the bit of the menu I...
October 4th 07 09:53 AM
by Rick Rogers Go to last post
1 88
How to disable "copy" Time Remaining by Marco
Hi. When I'm triyng to copy something, even if is very short in space, it take too long thinking about the time that it will take to copy or move the file(s). Is there a way to disable it? Copy a file in xp is easier. Regards, Marco
October 4th 07 12:21 PM
by Mike Hall - MVP[_2_] Go to last post
2 111
Startup by Jo
Can I have a list of programs that Vista needs running in the background? I want to disable some things, but I don't want to disable the wrong program.
October 4th 07 01:03 PM
by brink[_1371_] Go to last post
4 118
TRUE IMAGE 10/ NORTON GHOST 12 which is better? by [email protected]
I need a new imaging program to copy contents from a Windows XP hard drive to a new HP computer using Vista Home Edition Premium. Does anyone have an opinion as to whether TRUE IMAGE 10 or NORTON GHOST 12 is the better program for this use? best, Aaron
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 4th 07 01:36 PM
by VISTA_BOY Go to last post
19 219
Can't install new programs by Hugeknot
My vista premium is running very badly. I can't open IE. I can't install anything new on the machine! If I try to install a new program, it always stops around 95%. I have AVG fre edition and every day it tries to update the virus database... every time it gets stuck at 95% -- icelandaurora.com
October 4th 07 02:16 PM
by Hugeknot Go to last post
1 115
New Creative X-Fi Drivers -- Vista Driver 2.15.0003 -- 1 October 2007 by Cal Bear '66
New Creative X-Fi Drivers -- Vista Driver 2.15.0003 (51.85 MB) -- 1 October 2007: http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/ I Bleed Blue and Gold GO BEARS!
October 4th 07 02:46 PM
by Grae Go to last post
3 97
CPU and Memory Allocation by Miles Emerson[_2_]
I keep suffering random reboots and have noticed that my CPU is running at about 95% when the reboot occurs while my RAM (2GB) is only at 56% utilization. Is there a way to correct this within Windows? Can I reallocate how much RAM is used vs CPU processing. I am currently unable to do any video editing due to this problem. Thanks, Miles
October 4th 07 03:28 PM
by Miles Emerson[_2_] Go to last post
1 105
Spaces in typing by Sofia Freenote[_2_]
As I type, spaces are inserted into words and sometimes the cursor just runs to the right and a "morse code" chattering sound comes from the hard drive. It oftens happens in the little search window at the bottom of the Start menu. I've turned down the sensitiving of the keyboard and track pad and also disabled tapping while typing. This doesn't happen always but regularly, especially in...
October 4th 07 03:58 PM
by Sofia Freenote[_2_] Go to last post
0 107
Deleted Printer but icon still there & printer wont auto install & wont print by tim
Hello, I deleted the printer but the icon in the control panel/printers wont go away,and when i try to print,it says the pritner has been deleted. But it looks like because the deleted printer icon is still in the control panel/printers,the printer does not auto install at all,whether i switch it off,unplug it from the pc etc thanks
October 4th 07 06:31 PM
by tim Go to last post
0 4
disc d is full by P_MAYNARD
I need to run a back up but I cannot seem to get it to follow through. Not enough space on drive d. It is in the red. I have not run a back up bacause it keeps crashing.
October 4th 07 07:06 PM
by clffourmo61 Go to last post
2 91
Hard Drive - losing vital gb by Ashley
I seem to be losing lots of memory with every application i open, does anyone else have the same problem? I started with 104gb and after only installing programs worth about 5 at most, i am down to 78gb and dropping fast. can anyone help me?
October 4th 07 07:10 PM
by Giml1s Go to last post
4 98
i can't dowload anything form microsoft. by juan
when itry to down load a window pop up. says error, but on the main window say download succeded
October 4th 07 08:42 PM
by juan Go to last post
0 71
The difference between Windows Vista 32-bit and 64-bit by TheMusicBoy
What's the difference between Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit and Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit? What should I choose?
October 4th 07 10:01 PM
by BENAGLIA Go to last post
6 91
Power mangement not working by wal
My computer used to go to sleep automatically but has now stopped doing so. It will only sleep on manually
October 4th 07 10:33 PM
by wal Go to last post
0 67
Low Memory on Recovery Drive by clffourmo61
My recovery drive is running out of memory and I have no idea why. I am running Windows Vista Home Basic and have alot of memory on my hard drive. can anyone tell me how to free up space on the Recovery Drive? Disk cleanup does not help. Thank you.
October 5th 07 12:09 AM
by Rick Rogers Go to last post

From The