Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Queries, comments and issues relating to the administration of Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Security Issues after upgrading to Vista by ...
I have 2 Hard Drives connected to my PC. Everything was working fine with Windows XP Pro. Upon upgrading to Vista Ult. I had formatted my first drive. The second drive I didn't touch since I have transferred all my backup files(docs, images, mp3, etc). During Windows XP Pro, I had setup permissions that ONLY myself would have access to the drive. So the only username in the security...
July 16th 07 10:16 AM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
1 191
Inventory Scan: gpinventory vs Application Compatibility Toolkit by donut26
Hi there, I'm searching for possibilities to do an inventory scan (aim is to make an application consolidation) for a bigger number of PC's that are not all part of a software distribution system. So far I found the tool gpinventory and the application compatibility Toolkit. Can anybody tell me which applications these tools will find on the client. When I scanned my own PC with gpinventory I...
July 16th 07 07:28 AM
by donut26 Go to last post
0 175
Not Enough Privileges; by ADH
Attempting to run a program and signed on as Administrator. D clicked on shortcut and got a dialog box saying, "E000101F4: Not enough privileges. You do not have enough privileges to start program. -- Please advise. ADH
July 16th 07 03:33 AM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
8 159
windows Activation Key ? by ads
I have recently upgraded my system and my windows activateiny key wont work.I have got a new hard drive and board.it says that i have used this .Yes i have but on my old harddrive that i dont use no more ?Hope you guys can help ?.
July 16th 07 03:32 AM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
2 161
CKDDSK C: by JLC
Try and execute this command as an Administrator and get a message: "Access denied as you do not have sufficient privilidges. You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode" Please advice what I need to do to have the right 'priviledge' to execute this command
July 16th 07 03:30 AM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
1 180
Visa administration queston. by winquisitive
Hi, I got a new computer with Vista pre-installed. I have a few administration-related questons. 1. I have an admin account with a password. Can a user set up a password? How? 2. I wish to install programs in the computer that only some users need. I dont want to clutter the desktop of other users with the icons of these programs. Ideally, I would like to install the program as the...
July 16th 07 03:27 AM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
9 161
Installation of MS Office 2007 on Vista. by Michael B.
Hi Im trying to install Microsoft Office 2007 on windows Vista on my new Packard Bell Notebook/Laptop. I place the disk in Drive D and then click, it then comes up with the message: " Can't Run You must be an administrator to install Office 2007"
July 16th 07 01:29 AM
by huwyngr Go to last post
5 175
Right click menu and submenu problems with display by oshvision
Hi there I have a problem with vista, at first i didnt have this problem but after a restart once, the menus changed do they went to the left rather than the usual right. When I Right click in the middle of the screen on the my documents folder, the right click menu appers, but not from the right of the cursor, but from the left, not usally the windows default, when i do this in Windows 98,...
July 15th 07 09:59 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
2 133
lost my easy transfer password by Jean
I do an easy tranfer password archive what can I do to open that archive
July 15th 07 04:50 PM
by Jean Go to last post
0 122
Anti-virus scans for other user accounts by ALP
When I run anti-virus scans in the adminitrator account (like McAfee, Spybot, Ad-Aware), will it scan the other user accounts that I created? Or do I have to open up each user account and run a new scan in each one?
July 15th 07 01:17 PM
by GTS Go to last post
4 219
Need help with iTunes by Gilligan
Everytime I try to sync my new and old ipod I get the following error message: --Attempting to copy to the disk "NANO" falied. You do not have enough access privileges for this operation. iTunes could not save to your music folder because you do not have write access. Check the permissions on your music folder and folders in your music folder, then try copying this file again.--
July 15th 07 03:44 AM
by JMM Go to last post
4 150
Delete parental control summary by ALP
I have my computer (Windows Vista) set up to track and record all activity in the guest account. However, after reviewing the summary I don't know how to delete the information. Over time it will keep building up. Please let me know hot to delete the summary. Thank you!
July 15th 07 03:24 AM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP Go to last post
4 148
Are Windows Vista Accounts and Passwords Safe? by Potential Windows Vista User
I was told by some of my friends that the password login system in Windows Vista is not secure and that anyone could hack in and take remote control of my PC. Is this true? They also told me that this is impossible in this new product they call Linux or something. These guys have a web site at www.lobby4linux.com. I'm thinking about using Vista but I'm not sure.
July 15th 07 12:52 AM
by Potential Windows Vista User Go to last post
6 131
Image Backup Deletion by Simon Leigh UK
I use the vista ultimate complete drive image backup but wish to delete some of the old archives so I only have a choice of the last few images to restore from, Does anyone know if I can selectivly delete images form certain dates?
July 14th 07 06:46 PM
by Simon Leigh UK Go to last post
0 141
Logon error by kimmer
I have only had my new computer for about a week, and now when I boot up it gives me the message automatically "the user name or password is incorrect" BEFORE I even attempt to type in a user name or password. Then, I am able to logon by entering my user name and password. Is there any way to get rid of this annoying error message when I first boot up? It automatically seems to be trying...
July 14th 07 06:28 PM
by Ella May Tolbert Go to last post
3 155
Task scheduler pop up error message. by peter c.a.hawkins
When i open task scheduler i get this message pop up on screen:- An error has occured for task reminders-Peter c.a.Hawkins.Error message:The specified account name is not valid. Any-one any ideas why this should come up and a fix to stop it happening,yes i am the admins and yes that is my admin name.
July 14th 07 03:42 PM
by peter c.a.hawkins Go to last post
0 146
Programs Requiring Admin rights by daliankapil
When I try to play music online, some songs doesnt play and give the error message, "this action requires the administrator rights". Now what is this uppose to mean? I am the only user on my Laptop, and I m the one who logs in as Administrator.
July 14th 07 02:03 AM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
2 163
How do I tell User control to allow my program to run without aski by King300
My email program runs a program several times a day to retrieve email messages. Each time User Control asks for permission to run it. How can I avoid this?
July 14th 07 01:50 AM
by PaulB Go to last post
3 231
Vista won't allow app install even though user accout is administr by Robert
I am having permission problems with Vista Business. My user account clearly shows me as an administrator but I am not able to install programs. I get messages such as "You must be an administrator of this comnputer to install "program name." I have also gotten messages saying I don't have write permissions to a certain folder. This is carrying over to Internet explorer as I can't get IE to...
July 14th 07 12:12 AM
by Robert Go to last post
3 162
Restore a user profile. by Alex
Hi all i am trying to find out if i can restore a user profile i have deleted by mistake any helpw would be great as i have alot of files within that user. thanks
July 13th 07 11:57 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post

From The