Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Queries, comments and issues relating to the administration of Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
runas.exe - basic concept by Chris[_20_]
Hi, I'm running Vista Ultimate 64. I am trying to leverage some of the power of group permissions by setting up a directory that only a certain group can modify (for a Visual Source Safe code repository). The problem is: when I run Visual Source Safe, it doesn't inherit my group privileges and therefore cannot access the database. I am looking into runas.exe. That would accomplish...
November 12th 08 05:53 PM
by Chris[_20_] Go to last post
1 232
User Account by ericf10
I changed the original administrator user account. However, there are still references on a command line, some folders and in Remote Desktop of the former user name. I already modified the registered owner in the registry by modifying HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\RegisteredOwner. What else do I need to do to rid myself of this old user?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 12th 08 05:51 PM
by Chris[_20_] Go to last post
10 437
I cant remove programs. by Nathan
I cant remove or uninstall programs. It says you need to log in as an administrator but I am already an administrator and my hard drive is almost full because of too many programs that I don't use. How do I fix this problem?
November 8th 08 10:51 AM
by Lars Grefer Go to last post
1 255
Back up / easy transfter problem by Mario2667
::I have been using PC on VISTA for over a year now, at one point i erased programe file that corupted VISTA and i could not use scaner, anyway only way of fixing this was to reinstal VISTA.:: ::So i did back up all files from my pc to external drive + i did easy transfter as well to external drive.:: ::After reinstaling Windows, VISTA has kept old Windows in programe file as Windows.old – all my...
November 8th 08 09:45 AM
by Mario2667 Go to last post
0 236
administrative privilages by jaytee
mine is the only account on my computer running vista home premium when I try to do some things on computer it tels me I need administrative privilages I am the adminstrator and checking my account details comfirms this one of the things I try to run is cmd but get the following message error you do not have the correct permission to run this command
November 6th 08 04:31 PM
by Need''''''''s Help Go to last post
8 282
MS dumps Vista. by news.microsoft.com[_10_]
MS dumps Vista. No surprise there. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/29/technology/business-computing/29soft.html?_r=1&ref=business&oref=slogin
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
November 5th 08 05:57 AM
by Bill McCarthy Go to last post
28 1,065
Denying a user permission to install programs by JBarker[_2_]
Can I deny a user permission to install programs?
November 5th 08 04:09 AM
by Louie[_5_] Go to last post
1 262
Even the hidden admin account won't work by [email protected]
I had my VIsta Home Premium system freeze on me about a week ago so I had no choice but to switch off to reboot. So far so good, everything seemed fine. Then I got some very unexpected results from a piece of trading software and have discovered that: a) I can't access User Account Control and many other admin tasks b) activating the hidden admin account hasn't helped - I am still
November 2nd 08 02:49 PM
by Flavius Go to last post
1 239
User Profile by Strongarm
Hello, When I start my computer it loads up to the logon portion which has my user name. When I enter my correct password, checking that the caps is not on I receive the following message: "The User Profile Service serivce failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded." I have tried looking up what to do and I am told to go to the start button, but I can not get pass the password portion to...
November 2nd 08 09:23 AM
by Brink Go to last post
4 238
Parental controls suddenly blocking all internet access by GPO
Hi For some reason my kids' accounts can no longer access the internet, where previously the parental controls on their accounts would allow access. Nothing has changed about the accounts. Web restictions are (and always have been) listed as medium. To make matters worse IE just says "Internet Explorer cannot display the web page" When I turn parental controls off, they can connect fine.
November 2nd 08 04:36 AM
by Emorog Go to last post
3 252
Made and error and need help by TAK
Background info: Laptop running Vista Home Premium, pre-installed with no backup disc. One account, had admin privileges but UAC is still on. Here's the problem I have run into, and hopefully you all may be able to help me. I accidentally set my \Users\ permissions to deny all access to my C drive, or at least that's what I think has happened. I have been searching for a possible work...
October 31st 08 07:01 PM
by TAK Go to last post
2 194
Redirect "Documents" via GPO by Morph
Been searching for this unsuccessfully. We are merging (2) domains, and within this process of moving our domain into the other we are trying to figure out how to change the "Documents" path via GPO. In the past 6 months we've migrated about 20 users to Vista. We've found that the Documents folder is a bit picky in that when we redirect it... have the target folder named Documents... or Vista...
October 31st 08 05:45 PM
by Morph Go to last post
0 211
Locked Partition by steam03
Hello, I'm new to this board and currently trying to look for a solution to my problem Hope experts/anyone can shed me some light. - My computer has multiple partitions - C: contains VISTA 32bit - D: contains XP (on another HDD) - E F G are just documents and files - Under VISTA, there are user accounts for me and my roommate
October 30th 08 07:09 AM
by Salvador Manaois III Go to last post
1 197
Only user account on Vista Ultimate says password is expired butaccess denied when changing. by zarraza2k
i read this post http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords/browse_thread/thread/28de7309071a4a14/21c409ca13516339?lnk=st&q=vista+access+is+denied+at+logon&rnum=16&hl=en#21c409ca13516339 and that sounds like a great idea, but the problem I am having now is that I have a user that has a fully encrypted HDD (Guardian Edge Encryption Plus) so...
October 29th 08 05:26 PM
by zarraza2k Go to last post
0 187
Locked Out Of Windows Vista Home Premium by smithj0195
:( Oh I hope someone can help us. My question is in regards to a desktop purchased about six months ago through Dell and is running Windows Vista Home Premium. This is my mother's computer and she passed away unexpectedly last month. We had access to her computer after she passed, but not realizing that this would happen, during what must have been some automatic updates the computer restarted...
October 28th 08 11:29 PM
by John Barnett MVP[_3_] Go to last post
1 217
Redirect User Folders in Vista by Pat Garard
G'Day All, I will be installing Vista HP on a new PC next week. During installation, I will create the Administrator account as required (can't really do much else!). Next, I would like to redirect ALL user data folders/files (Documents, Pictures ....) to drive D:.
October 28th 08 01:44 AM
by Harvey Brydon Go to last post
9 176
User Profile Service Failed the Login by MrsLiv
I have tried many times to access my account. I know my password because we just bought the computer a month ago and I use it all the time. It says... *User Profile Service Failed the Login* I have read the threads online regarding going into the user profile changing/deleting etc but that only seems to change when I am in safe mode. Once I switch back to the regular start up the new...
October 27th 08 03:05 PM
by Brink Go to last post
8 233
Error Code 0X8007002 by Fiji Flyer
My Acer 4220 Vista Home Basic doesn't allow me to access my Administrator Account. It displays Logon service failed. Iam also getting a request to activate my windows product number. I've tried lots of times to remedy this but to no avail. It now tells me the version of windows I now have is counterfeit. What do I do now? Please help me.
October 27th 08 01:30 PM
by Flavius Go to last post
1 231
vispa no users by sigmatron99
I used vispa on the mom's computer. It deleted all users. :0 need help bring any back. Its loads to log in, but no users.I used vispa on the mom's computer. It deleted all users. :0 need help bring any back. Its loads to log in, but no users. thx -- sigmatron99
October 26th 08 05:46 PM
by Brink Go to last post
1 286
Disk Management by Boblink
Hi, I created a few Partition on my Vista Home Premium system and inadvertently Partitioned an External Hard Drive and now have 18.06GB titled Healthy EISA Configuration. My question is, how do I Merge / Combine this unwanted partition back with the 65.86BG External Drive? Thanks, Bob
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 26th 08 12:37 AM
by Boblink[_2_] Go to last post
56 1,795