Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Search Behavior not Understood by John Hanley
When I search for instances of .mswmm files (from Windows Movie Maker) using a normal search in Indexed Locations, no files are reported; however if I check the "Include non-indexed, hidden, and system files", the .mswmm files do show up in the search results. The same thing happens with .msdvd (from Windows DVD Maker). It is as if these two types of media files are not indexed. I am not...
July 21st 07 12:51 PM
by Puppy Breath Go to last post
1 136
Vista Search Returns Deleted Files by John Hanley
A search in Vista often returns files that have been previously deleted & recycle bin emptied. However, if I choose the option to "Include non-indexed, hidden, and system files", these 'phantom' files do not show up. What could be causing this behavior?
June 3rd 08 01:03 AM
by mpersico[_2_] Go to last post
5 151
Windows Contacts by John Kelly
In Windows Contacts The only menu items I have are "Organiz3", Views" and "Burn". Where are the other buttons (eg Organise Contacts) and how do I get them back? Other explorer windows have buttons specific to their content (eg those containg images have "Slide Show"). If it's of use, the contents of the desktop.ini a
February 5th 07 04:29 AM
by Keith Miller MVP Go to last post
3 199
problem when using dvd data backup disk made with XP in Vista by John L.
When I put in a DVD Data Disk that I made in Windows XP into my Vista laptop, I noticed that when using Windows Explorer in Vista 90% of the files were not showing on the DVD disk !!! What am I doing wrong? Why can't I see the rest of the files? None of these files are hidden in XP. I have Vista set to show all files. There were no error messages when using the DVD Disk. I even tried turning...
October 2nd 07 11:05 PM
by hlwenger Go to last post
1 146
trouble finding Word 2007 docs by John Myers
I have a problem finding Word 2007 files from the Search field in Windows Explorer. Example: I have a file named "test.docx" in "My Documents", and I can see that file right in the Windows Explorer window. However, if I type, say ".docx", or "test", in the Search field in the top right-hand corner of Explorer, the search comes up empty. I can, however, get the search function to find the...
March 5th 08 11:01 AM
by John Myers Go to last post
4 354
Corrupted Pictures Folder in VISTA HOME SP1 by John Randle[_2_]
The C:\users\name\pictures folder has become corrupted and now shows 0 files. A search for *.jpg files in C: still shows all the files as existing under the path c:\users\name\pictures and its previous subfolders .. but attempts to drag & drop them from the search results pane to another c:\users\name folder fail. Running chkdsk as a user (read only) shows 3 corrupted files. Running chkdsk...
July 2nd 08 11:55 AM
by John Randle[_2_] Go to last post
0 172
Take ownership by John Reid
Running Vista Home Premium, 32 Bit, on an Acer Laptop with 2 mg memory. I went to the Petri web site http://www.petri.co.il/add-take-ownership-context-menu-vista.htm and copied the programme into Notepad as directed. I did make one change; where the first line says :Windows Registry Editor Version 5" I changed it to Version 6" because the error message on the second screen said that "there...
March 11th 08 09:04 PM
by Bob Go to last post
2 306
Too Many Users! by John Reid
After I became more familiar with Vista, I decided to add myself as a regular user and only use the Administrator user as required. However, I was unable to transfer my programmes, files, etc to the new ordinary user so I simply made my old Administrator User my regular user and made my new User the Administrator.This appears to work well. However, while doing this I accidently created...
March 11th 08 07:08 PM
by John Reid Go to last post
0 253
Desktop Icons by John Reid
I put the shortcut icon of a programme on my desktop. When the time came to eliminate the file, I removed it in the usual way. However, I did not remove the icon and the removal process did not remove the icon. Now, I cannot remove the icon as I can all others, by selecting it and then deleting it. Is there a process to get rid of these orphan icons?
February 2nd 08 09:30 PM
by John Reid Go to last post
4 355
Locked Out Of Folders by John Reid
I went in to check my music in my Vista Music folder but I found a new MY MUSIC Folder. There was a new icon beside it, a musical note, but it would not let me in to view the files. It returned a message saying that "it was not accessible: Access Denied." I then noticed that two other folders had new icons beside them, MY PICTURES and MY VIDEOS. Further down was another folder MY DOCUMENTS. I...
July 30th 09 09:07 PM
by John Reid Go to last post
2 240
Starts itself from Sleep & Hibernate by John Sisker
For some reason, both Sleep and Hibernate, while still working, will take themselves out of that mode every 10 to 30 minutes. It never did that before. What happened and how do I fix? John
July 13th 08 07:33 PM
by Brink Go to last post
1 222
Windows Explorer by John Smith
Hi, I have been receiving error (not all the time) when I try to open Windows Explorer. An appcrash has been happened on application name explorer.exe. Does anyone know how to solve it? Thanks.
February 22nd 07 06:18 AM
by John Smith Go to last post
0 179
Not enough memory to complete this operation by John Smith
Hi, I am using Windos Vista Ultimate and a laptop Pentium M 1.8GHz, 2 GB RAM and 60GB HDD. After installing Windos Vista, I needed to restore the files (backup) using copy/paste or drag-and-drog facility. However, whenever I do it, after few minutes, the message - not enough memory to complete this operation - appears and the process is aborted. I dont know if Vista changed the way to...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
February 27th 07 03:23 PM
by maxnorris Go to last post
10 458
deleting hidden files by john sterne
bought my pc back in march and a couple of months later I added vista basic from a disc given free . I've now sold the pc as I have a mac powerbook but there seems to be still around 40gb of files on the hard drive .I've searched everywhere but cannot find them to delete them , please someone help me as I've got to hand the pc over tomorrow eveing
October 16th 07 05:24 AM
by brink[_1453_] Go to last post
1 124
Repeated file & file moving by John T
Hi, I am using Windows Vista RC1 64-bit edition. I am trying to move my personal files to where they are stored on a non-boot hard drive (I know that this can be done in XP) somewhere allong the line I really goofed up and so I decided to get things back the way they were. I have everything back now exept that the "Desktop" folder is reapeated (there are two of the same folder) and when I...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
February 7th 07 06:49 PM
by Keith Miller MVP Go to last post
16 301
reapeated desktop file by John T
Hi, I am using Windows Vista RC1 64-bit edition. I am trying to move my personal files to where they are stored on a non-boot hard drive (I know that this can be done in XP) somewhere allong the line I really goofed up and so I decided to get things back the way they were. I have everything back now exept that the "Desktop" folder is reapeated (there are two of the same folder) and when I...
January 17th 07 12:06 PM
by John T Go to last post
0 179
pdf and vista by JohnA
When accessing a link to a web site that has a pdf file, I click on the link, a new window opens, and finally at the bottom of the window the work done appears. Screen stays blank. On another computer everything works well. Both computers are vista and IE 8. Is there some setting that would cause this or another newsgroup I need to see?
February 26th 10 12:52 AM
by Bruce Chambers Go to last post
2 585
Cant save file with HTML by JohnA
Using XP machine, I create a text file containing HTML code and save with extension of .html. Then can double click and the file opens in IE. I can then change the file using notepad, save file, refresh the IE page and see the changes. Doing the same thing on Vista machine, when trying to save changes, error message that something is wrong with file name or path. I need help, thanks.
May 8th 10 09:36 AM
by bradsmokes Go to last post
4 765
pdf and vista by JohnA
When accessing a link to a web site that has a pdf file, I click on the link, a new window opens, and finally at the bottom of the window the work done appears. Screen stays blank. On another computer everything works well. Both computers are vista and IE 8. Is there some setting that would cause this or another newsgroup I need to see?
February 25th 10 02:44 PM
by JohnA Go to last post
0 446
Redirect the "my documents folder" which is now my username by Johnathonm
All, I know before it was very easy to change the targeting of the "my documents" shortcut on the desktop. Now, there doesn't seem to be a right click option. When I open the folder it takes me to what I can only call my user root. I want to redirect it to "documents". Any suggestions or ideas?
December 16th 06 03:57 PM
by Kerry Brown Go to last post

From The