Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Massive Memory Loss by Aardvark300
After thinking I had some sort of Viruses I downloaded some anti-virus software. One was something that was part of Macafee called Stinger, another was called Nod32, and the other was Webroot. After downloading these 3 I went to turn off System Restore in my C Drive to use Stinger according to the directions on the site. At that time I had 448G free and afterward I had 418G. I am unsure of...
February 8th 09 10:22 PM
by Frank Holman[_2_] Go to last post
1 189
explorer - "computer" by AardvarksRUs
Couple questions about explorer.exe and what it shows as "Computer". Is there a way to configure "Windows Explorer", which I think is still invoked by "explorer.exe", to open by default in the quasi/pseudo-directory shown in explorer and on desktop as "computer", what previously I think had been shown as "My Computer"? How would I call this up from the command line, including as an/the...
January 12th 08 05:36 PM
by Bob Go to last post
3 154
system restore keeps stopping with disk IO error by Aaron
I used to have issues with my disk months ago from the whole nvidia 680i sata error but I haven't had issues since. Every time I try to enable system restore on a drive an hour later it will come back and have the following in the event log. The shadow copies of volume C: were aborted because of an IO failure on volume C:. Hoe can I troubleshoot this? Are there logs of information...
June 22nd 07 10:18 PM
by Aaron Go to last post
1 162
how to re-order or delete Program Menu? by Aaron B[_2_]
We are using Vista Ultimate in my Dell computer. We have set all my Vista to run in Classic menu. Can you tell us how to re-order the appearance of programs Menu? I can drag the program menu folders and shortcuts into the order I want. But after re-boot, the program menu order goes back to alphabet descending order. I click the customized program menu (advance), but I cannot removed the sort...
December 27th 07 10:29 AM
by Hannes Schmiderer Go to last post
8 230
ANS: "What's the deal with UAC (Windows Needs Your Permission scre by Aaron Martinez
Well i want to know , not if I should turn the (A program needs your permission to continue) message. but how to turn it off. I tried running the program as administrator but its still not working. i want to avoid going to the process of having that message that always end up making programs that use the same message (A program needs your permission to continue) ran. I want to turn it off so...
June 28th 08 07:22 AM
by Steve Thackery[_2_] Go to last post
2 284
Folder Size in Size Column by AaronSchell
While browsing files and folders I've noticed something extreemly annoying. You can see the size of individual files in the Size column but you cant see the folder's contents size. This extreemly frustrating and I cant seem to find where I can enable that function. I know you can scroll your mouse over folders one at a time and a window will apear and you can see the size then, but thats...
February 5th 08 09:51 PM
by AaronSchell[_3_] Go to last post
5 284
I miss XP's 'Move To' and 'Copy To' buttons - any fixes? by Aaron[_7_]
I realize I can can 'drag & drop' or use the Edit menu items, or any of the myriad methods available since Win3.0; but those buttons were much easier to use. Is there any easy way in Vista to have those buttons (no manual registry hacks)? Any solutions from Microsoft? Or any third party solutions?
September 6th 08 04:03 AM
by Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP Go to last post
1 354
Windows Explorer Columns by AATech
Hi, The 'Date Modified' column doesn't appear on any of my folders. I add it, and when i browse away from that folder and return to it, it's disappeared again. How do i get every folder to show that column by default? Thanks, Albert
January 6th 10 05:39 PM
by Bill Yanaire, ESQ[_5_] Go to last post
4 564
Windows Explorer Columns by AATech
Hi, The 'Date Modified' column doesn't appear on any of my folders. I add it, and when i browse away from that folder and return to it, it's disappeared again. How do i get every folder to show that column by default? Thanks, Albert
January 6th 10 04:17 AM
by AATech Go to last post
0 394
Customize folder - Apply to all sub folders does NOT work. by Ab
If I open up windows explorer and go to the folder I keep all my photos in, "D:\1 PICS" and I right click on it and choose properties, then customize, I choose the "Pictures and Videos" template. Then I click the checkbox that says "Also apply this template to all subfolders" Then I hit ok. I open the folder and there I have many different folders containing photos. Now if I open up the...
September 8th 07 12:35 PM
by brink[_836_] Go to last post
6 1,520
Bug Reporting? by Abbe
Hey, found a bug in Vistas explorer, but i am completely unable to actually find the place where i can report the bug. So, link to bugreport page? PS. Actually make it possible to find that page without having to resort to asking on a forum?
June 12th 07 03:58 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
8 402
File System - XP,Vista - File Redirector - Download by abc[_4_]
Hi, I read a year or so ago or perhaps longer,that there was a microsoft update that could make some of the programs made for XP work on Vista.It was supposed to redirect access to a restricted folder in the windows file system to another one that would allow the software to work. Could any tell me where to find that? or What number update was it? Thanks in Advance
March 3rd 10 03:58 AM
by No Name Go to last post
2 572
File System - XP,Vista - File Redirector - Download by abc[_4_]
Hi, I read a year or so ago or perhaps longer,that there was a microsoft update that could make some of the programs made for XP work on Vista.It was supposed to redirect access to a restricted folder in the windows file system to another one that would allow the software to work. Could any tell me where to find that? or What number update was it? Thanks in Advance
January 8th 10 06:06 AM
by abc[_4_] Go to last post
0 424
where does download files gone by abdullah
Im running windows vista now & I want to download some files from internet frist I selct where I want to seve the file then the file is getting download but after the download complited a sound pops & download screan goes off without asking me to run or close the pops??? even in the path which I give to be save in it I did not get any downloaded file where does the downloaded file gone ???
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 29th 09 11:50 AM
by Stevieboy Go to last post
13 591
How to make Vista display same details for all folders? by Abe
How to make Vista display same details for all folders? In XP it was simple, disable remember each folders view settings, set the view options, then apply to all folders. In vista, how do I make vista display the same details view regardless of the folder's contents? Thanks
June 7th 07 02:20 PM
by Abe Go to last post
3 310
How do I get Explorer to open to a specific folder? by Abe Klagsbrun
In Win XP, I used the /e parameter to open Explorer to C:\. This doesn't work in Vista. How do I do the same thing in Vista?
August 4th 07 12:00 AM
by mbscjohnp Go to last post
7 174
How to select backup folder on the desktop by abintoms
Hi, I have Windows vista home basic edition. My PC recently crashed. So I tried to get the PC back to the factory settings.. When I tried to do it, it asked me whether i want to create a backup. I did so and created a backup of all the videos and other options that were given.. I backed it up on a hard disk. After getting the PC all up and running, now i moved the backup folder from that...
September 20th 07 05:52 AM
by abintoms Go to last post
0 174
Change a Saved Search by Access Joe
Using Windows Vista Enterprise I've created a 'Saved Search' in Windows Explorer. How do I a) SEE the search criteria without physically running the search and opening the Search Pane, and b) modify the criteria? Thanks so much!
October 29th 08 03:52 PM
by Access Joe Go to last post
2 325
Color heading in Windows Vista by Access Joe
What does the new COLOR Heading in Windows Explorer (Vista Enterprise - have to manually add it from the customize box) do? It's easy to turn on, but I don't see a physical way to color-code the files and folders. Can anyone help?
February 18th 09 02:05 PM
by Jonathan Harker Go to last post
3 216
Explorer Default Window Size by acdx
How do I define the default size at which new Explorer windows open? I am tired of having to resize my explorer window every time I open a folder that I haven't opened before, eg. by typing a path into the start menu search box and hitting enter or by choosing "view extracted files" after extracting zip files. I'm currently resorting to always opening explorer windows by hitting Win+E or...
May 10th 08 07:45 PM
by Brink Go to last post

From The