Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
No removeable drive F by akaash
hi, i have Windows Vista and my removeable drive f has dissappeared from under 'my computer' - this has never happened before with XP. Anybody know how to get it back? Thanks.
September 22nd 08 02:53 PM
by Dwarf Go to last post
2 298
Gah!! cant delete stupid desktop icon?? help?? by Akarithor
I tried to download something a few weeks ago, i cant remember what it was, but i decided to cancel half way, but an icon had already been created, and now, i cant delete it. I use the delete button and it says i need permission cause im not user administrator, BUT I AM!! theres no other account but mine on my laptop, and then i click i agree, and it says it cant. Now normally i wouldnt be too...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 6th 09 07:19 PM
by elixir Go to last post
13 593
Virus or problem with windows vista? by Akarithor
Just over the past few days, my poor laptop hasnt been very well. I was using internet/msn one night and the screen went completely blank except for my desktop background, and my clock/stickynotes/calendar thing on the far right. Not knowing how to fix it i waited a while, then switched off my laptop. I switched it back on again and thats where the problems started, just to get on the internet...
January 25th 09 11:46 AM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
2 220
Vista (SP1) loses the search index by akita
Since a few days Vista inexplicably loses my search index – and I have no idea what causes this! This is soooooooooo annoying!! Every time I want the index to help me search for files, I find it has reverted to its default options (which do not include my folders), and I need to again manually add the folders that I want in the index. This causes Vista to rebuild its search index, taking...
February 22nd 08 06:00 PM
by Steve[_34_] Go to last post
1 331
Interesting Problem with Netfiles in Vista by akm
I managed to find other threads on using WebDAV on Vista, but none offered a clear answer. My particular problem is when I attempt to map an https folder system to a drive letter using Vista's built-in wizard (available from the computer folder). I am trying to integrate a folder system that uses WebDAV (called "netfiles" by the university of minnesota) so I can access files as if it were a...
September 24th 07 09:44 PM
by akm Go to last post
0 207
Cannot delete file !! Help by akshatm
im working on vista home premium 32bit. i downloaded a flv file which seems to be corrupt. now a cannot delete the file.. i tried deleteing it from the command prompt, tried using the software 'eraser'. i cant even move the file, or rename it or view the file properties. wat shud i do in order to delete it.. any suggestion is welcome. Pls help me ppl !! Thanks.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 21st 11 10:47 AM
by fernando liary Go to last post
13 2,468
Searching for names with parenthesis in them by Al
1. Quite wonderfully when I drag the JPG's out of my temp internet folder into a permanent location it asks me how to handle the duplicates. I save them and let Vista name them. They end up with (2).jpg at the end of the name. 2. What I haven't figured out how to do is search for just those files. (2) doesn't hack it because ( and ) have a special meaning. It gets any file with 2 in it. ...
October 15th 06 09:43 AM
by Roberto Baggio Go to last post
1 477
Infinit retry loop in renaming a root folder under certain circumstances. by Al
I'm not sure who should be taken out to the woodshed - the architect that decided the following is a good idea, or the coder who did such a horrible job. It will cause all sorts of grief, IMHO. What's worse now I can't reproduce the problem even though it has happened several times! Essentially what has happened is that I try to rename a folder that I some how had open with another window....
November 25th 06 05:34 PM
by Al Go to last post
0 490
Zip File by Alan
How do I find the Zip Files? I stored a file and can not find the zip files. I have MS windows -- Alan
January 14th 08 02:47 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post
2 243
20gb file but where by Alan
Hi everyone Im using a samsung NP-R40 laptop with C drive 50gb and a D drive with 50gb. My computer is running very slow and when it comes to using internet it seen's to just stop halfway through loading a page. Someone told me that if my C drive is full or has a lot of data on it that could cause the problem. So i set about reducing the files i have on my C drive by deleting...
October 19th 07 01:08 PM
by peter Go to last post
1 155
20gb on hard drive but where? by Alan
I have two 50gb drives on my laptop one is empty and one has 47gb showing. My documents has about 24gb there are a couple of gb on all the other files but there is over 20gb i cant find. Any ideas anyone Regards Alan
October 2nd 07 07:55 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post
3 174
Crosslinked directories by Alan Biddle
I seem to have "cross linked" directories. For example: C:\Documents and Settings\Alan\AppData\Roaming\SatPC32\Kepler C:\Users\Alan\AppData\Roaming\SatPC32\Kepler However, they reference the same contents. That is, if you copy a file to one, it appears in both, and if you delete a file in one, it disappears from both. There are literally dozens of them, similar to the above except for
October 22nd 09 05:09 PM
by Ken Blake, MVP Go to last post
6 347
Crosslinked directories by Alan Biddle
I seem to have "cross linked" directories. For example: C:\Documents and Settings\Alan\AppData\Roaming\SatPC32\Kepler C:\Users\Alan\AppData\Roaming\SatPC32\Kepler However, they reference the same contents. That is, if you copy a file to one, it appears in both, and if you delete a file in one, it disappears from both. There are literally dozens of them, similar to the above except for
October 22nd 09 03:25 PM
by Alan Biddle Go to last post
0 290
Windows mail Back-up by Alan Calderon
How do I back up my Email folders to an external hard drive? Where are they?
November 20th 07 07:22 PM
by Wandering[_2_] Go to last post
3 192
File Open dialog box default size by Alan Roy
Whenever one goes to open or save a file, I always find the dialog box to small, and like to resize to make it easier to look through the hundreds of folders i have. Is there any way to alter the default opening size of the file management dialog boxes?
September 15th 09 05:07 AM
by seanos Go to last post
5 218
Biondi font missing on Vista by Alana1385
Hi I have Windows Vista on my Dell laptop and I frequently used the Biondi font that came with vista. Just the other day the font seems to have gone missing and all the programs I use, such as Adobe Photoshop say that the font is missing and has been replaced. Does anyone know of a way I can get the font back without having to totally reinstall Vista? Thanks! Alana
September 8th 08 06:56 PM
by AFrey Go to last post
5 428
Common/Public File Location by Alan_Burchill
I am running Vista RC1.... How do i change the location of my Public / Common folders. eg Pictures, Documents, Videos & Music... When i go into the properties of the Public Pictures Folder it says i can change it but it does no have the same buttons as my personal Pictures folder.... I have even changes the registery key at HKLM\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\exporere\Shell Folders and...
September 18th 06 07:33 AM
by Thomas Go to last post
2 535
Cannot access offline folders in different domains by Alberto Di Meglio
Hi, I have a laptop running Windows Vista RTM. The laptop is part of Domain A. The Documents folder is redirected on a share in the same domain and set to be always available. I can access it online and offline without any problem. I also use the laptop in a different network where Domain B is present. I have a share mapped with valid credentials in Domain B. The share is set to be always...
January 12th 07 04:20 PM
by Jill Zoeller [MSFT] Go to last post
2 209
Sort start menu by Alcazar
Hi all, I am using Vista for a while now and I was wondering why it is not possibe to sort the start menu while right clicking. The options I was used to on XP seems to be dissapeared. I have tried to disable "Read Only" but that won't work either. If someone has the solution I would be glad thnx
December 17th 07 08:37 PM
by brink[_2372_] Go to last post
3 177
File name size limit? by Alejandro
Hi, I posted this question some time ago with no luck, so I would like to give a try again in case there are new info about this. I would like to know the file name size limit in windows vista (or windows server 2003 if better). For NTFS the limit is 256 characters and this includes the whole path like c:\folder1\folder2\folder3....\folderN. I know Microsoft was working in a new file system...
March 11th 07 04:30 AM
by Alejandro Go to last post

From The