Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
  Rating Thread Reverse Sort Order / Thread Starter Last Post Replies Views
Error When Moving or Copying Files by Matt Ellis
Vista Home Premium When I move or copy a file(s) I get the error message: Windows Host Process (Rundll32) has stopped working - sometimes several times. The files do move or copy ok. Any suggestions as to how to correct?
August 20th 08 09:59 PM
by Matt Ellis Go to last post
0 186
Excel file handling under Vista Ultimate by Piotr Wozniacki
I'm running Office 2007 Enterprise under Vista Ultimate; when working on a rather large Excel spreadsheet I've noticed that sometimes when I save it, Vista complains that it managed to save, but could reopen due to access share violation (the file is still open, but becomes read-only). I'm advised to close and reopen it in order to enable editing; even than it happens that the file is...
September 23rd 07 06:49 PM
by Piotr Wozniacki Go to last post
0 159
Excel XLSX files fail to synchronize by Bob
Hi, My Documents folder is a redirected folder and therefore by default, it is always available offline. Why is it that if I edit my Excel file is in 2003 (xls) format, it almost always goes offline and needs to be synchronized manually? (Note that the file really isn't synchronizing as I do not see it change on the server until I do a manual sync).
January 14th 08 09:29 AM
by Morgan che Go to last post
4 347
Exclude AppData from Indexing by Yehia A.Salam
Hello, how can I exclude the AppData folder from indexing, it contains thousands of files I never need to search for, and I have to hear the hard disk spinning for an hour after installing any program to index its new files in Local and Roaming folders. I tried removing the checkmark besides the folder in the indexing options but somehow it's not active, I can exclude all other folder...
December 22nd 07 11:12 PM
by Michael Walraven[_3_] Go to last post
5 175
exclude removable drives from indexing by acryl
Hi all, is there a way to generally prevent USB drives from indexing? I know how to de/select drives and folders in the advanced properties of the indexing settings. But what i'm missing is a general "Don't" for all possible USB drives, USB-Sticks, CDs, DVDs. In the group policies at "Computer Configuration/Administartive Templates/Windows Components/Search" i couldn't find anything...
September 19th 08 10:30 PM
by telwat Go to last post
2 312
Excluding AppData stuff from indexed searches by Skip Bremer
It seems that the Users\username\AppData folder, and its subfolders, cannot be removed from the index search options. I wonder if that is only because it is a hidden folder or whether MS had some other reason to determine that that, a,.., junk, just had to be indexed. Certainly there is nothing in there that I would want to find from the Start button search. I mean I use Firefox for...
June 4th 07 11:06 PM
by Ilia Sacson [MS] Go to last post
1 187
excluding copy directories in robocopy by Nicholas Hall
I have posted before on how to use Robocopy, but I am now getting some where with it. I have one last short question though When copying I want to exclude $RECYCLE.BIN and RECYCLER should I use: robocopy /mir k:\ \\Mybookworld\public\ /XD dirs $RECYCLE.BIN /XD dirs RECYCLER /XN /XO
March 13th 08 04:16 AM
by Nicholas Hall Go to last post
0 298
Excluding locations from a backup by Georgios Kasselakis
Im trying to setup a backup in Vista, but I don't want the system to monitor certain locations, such as my download folder and others such as where I have subversion repositories and change too fast and too often. Is that even possible ? -- -- Georgios Kasselakis http://www.kcorax.net
July 24th 08 12:59 AM
by Nonny Go to last post
3 338
Expand folders on single-click by Carl Ahlqvist
Hi, Is there a way to configure the Vista Explorer (i.e. file explorer) so that when I single-click a folder in the navigation pane (left-most folder tree) it automatically expands one level down? This is the normal behaviour in Win XP but not in Vista. As it is configured now I have to click the little triangle to the left of the folder in order for the folder to expand.
May 23rd 08 12:49 PM
by HappyAndyK[_3_] Go to last post
1 165
Expanding folders & files command - gonzo? by Maria MS
Hi all, earlier we used to have a command such as C:\Windows\explorer.exe /n,/e, and when clicked it would show in the left pane a fully expanded folder, and in the righthand pane all containing files. Also the expanded folder would begin to open just under the roof of the Explorerframe, remember?
August 6th 07 09:51 AM
by Maria MS Go to last post
2 124
Explore path question by Bob Weber
When I right click the start Orb and select Explore it opens to C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs. How can I make it just come up in C:\? Bob
December 18th 08 02:44 AM
by R. C. White Go to last post
1 324
Explore replacement? by Wannabe Cowboy
Does anyone know of a good Freeware Program for file management that would replace Windows Explore? -- This Email is From: DOUG YARNOLD SASS #63314
February 15th 08 06:20 PM
by Donald Lessau Go to last post
2 232
Explore to Open Folder Too Slow by niladri
I use VISTA Business. When I use My Computer - Explore - C:, (from left panel), the folders under C:\ does not show up immediately like XP. It takes long time for the folders to appear on the left panel. How to make the folders appear immediately?
January 19th 09 09:15 PM
by Frank Holman Go to last post
6 349
Explorer "searches might be slow" by Ray[_6_]
I've turned off the Windows Search service, since I rarely do big searches and don't need to index file content. But when it's turned off, every time I do a search a message appears telling me that "Your searches might be slow because the index is not running". After seeing it a few dozen times, I get the message! Is there any way to disable this annoying feature, short of making it happy...
March 20th 08 06:53 PM
by Ray[_6_] Go to last post
0 277
explorer - "computer" by AardvarksRUs
Couple questions about explorer.exe and what it shows as "Computer". Is there a way to configure "Windows Explorer", which I think is still invoked by "explorer.exe", to open by default in the quasi/pseudo-directory shown in explorer and on desktop as "computer", what previously I think had been shown as "My Computer"? How would I call this up from the command line, including as an/the...
January 12th 08 05:36 PM
by Bob Go to last post
3 154
explorer and folders created by other programs by KB
I created a download folder for gigatribe. From gigatribe I can find the folder and its contents, but not through explorer. A similar issue happened with VuePrint, the photo editing/managing software that I use. If I move something to an existing folder I can find the file. If I create a file with VuePrint then it and its contents remain hidden. Any ideas?
May 18th 08 01:23 AM
by Justin Martin [MSFT][_2_] Go to last post
4 235
Explorer bug by Marco Almenta
I found the following bug in Vista Explorer: I opened a folder with three subfolders holding some video-files. I selected and cut a subfolder and pasted it to another partition on my HDD. While the moving was in progress I selected and cut another subfolder. This subfolder was dimmed and I waited for the first process to complete. When finished the first subfolder disappeared, the second one...
March 26th 07 02:37 PM
by Marco Almenta Go to last post
0 160
explorer bug by Marco Almenta
I found the following bug in Vista Explorer: I opened a folder with three subfolders holding some video-files. I selected and cut a subfolder and pasted it to another partition on my HDD. While the moving was in progress I selected and cut another subfolder. This subfolder was dimmed and I waited for the first process to complete. When finished the first subfolder disappeared, the second one...
March 26th 07 03:00 PM
by Marco Almenta Go to last post
0 138
explorer bug by Marco Almenta
I found the following bug in Vista Explorer: I opened a folder with three subfolders holding some video-files. I selected and cut a subfolder and pasted it to another partition on my HDD. While the moving was in progress I selected and cut another subfolder. This subfolder was dimmed and I waited for the first process to complete. When finished the first subfolder disappeared, the second one...
March 26th 07 03:02 PM
by Marco Almenta Go to last post
0 135
explorer bug by Marco Almenta
I found the following bug in Vista Explorer: I opened a folder with three subfolders holding some video-files. I selected and cut a subfolder and pasted it to another partition on my HDD. While the moving was in progress I selected and cut another subfolder. This subfolder was dimmed and I waited for the first process to complete. When finished the first subfolder disappeared, the second one...
March 28th 07 07:31 AM
by cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) Go to last post

From The