Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Computer and C:\ share same view settings by ACiD GRiM
When I set C:\ to only show list view, the "Computer" changes to be the same. The same hapens if i change Computer to tiles, C:\ changes to tiles. Is there something that I can fix? I've tried copying a desktop.ini to C:\ and resetting the folder views to no avail. -- ACiD GRiM
August 10th 08 12:17 AM
by ACiD GRiM Go to last post
0 412
can you have an idea about this? by gixykings
hi gents, after vista sp1, a very strange situation has been occured in windows explorer in vista hp: the root folder of my external hdd (wd mybook 500gb connected with usb 2.0) looks awful! there are big folder icons but no titles under each of them. here is the art of the bug:
August 9th 08 02:38 PM
by roy69[_196_] Go to last post
1 433
What am I doing wrong in organzing folder contents? by manhattan123
Hi guys, hope someone can help. What am I doing wrong in not being able to store the contents of folders (documents or pictures) by Date Acquired instead of alphabetically. I go into View-Sort By-More and make sure Date Acquired is checked, then back to View-Date Acquired...and NOTHING. The content stays in alphabetical order. What am I missing or doing wrong? Any help would be much appreciated....
August 9th 08 10:56 AM
by Apache -=CW=- Go to last post
1 277
"programs" folder inside "all programs" by fme008 via WindowsKB.com
hi there, i have vista home premium. Recently i installed magic video converter. after i installed the program, i went to "start" - "all programs, " i see this "programs" folder. I clicked on that, all it shows is the list of softwares/programs installed in this computer (same list of stuff from "all programs" ) Is there anyway to get rid of this? i like the video program but hate "programs"...
August 9th 08 03:54 AM
by fme008 via WindowsKB.com Go to last post
0 318
Can't Save To Root Directory by BoydM
Windows Vista Ultimate single user system. Trying to edit and save a simple text file on the C drive root directory. I get message saying I "don't have permission to save in this location". All permissions look right. Help
August 9th 08 12:46 AM
by Sisyphus Go to last post
8 443
where is IE7's Address box history by JimW[_3_]
I've noticed that the history that one sees in IE7 by clicking on the dropdown arrow of the address box is not the same as what one gets when looking at the history in the Favorites center, i.e. the pane that runs down the left side of the IE window. I know where Vista stores the history that appears in the Favorite center. But, I would like to know where it is storing the history that...
August 7th 08 11:12 PM
by JimW[_3_] Go to last post
2 295
file copy/move "more information" shown as default by Delwin
Greetings, It seems that every time I copy or move some files I have to click the "more information" button on the copy window. This is the small chevron which is pointing down. I like to see the speed of the file transfer and get an idea of how much longer it will be. Does any one know a way to make this open by default? __ delwin
August 7th 08 06:25 PM
by Delwin Go to last post
0 307
Problem with MP3 info in VISTA folders by tomcat[_2_]
Help! When viewing MP3 (tag) info, only the "Name", "Size" and "Date Modified" show data in their column. I have NOTHING in the "Bit Rate", "Artist", "Album Year" columns. I have tried about everything I know. Thanks!
August 7th 08 07:20 AM
by Paul Montgomery Go to last post
8 262
OK to delete "Downloaded Programs files?" by ELW[_2_]
Vista Clean-up utility often advises me that it wishes to delete the files (in subject line). These files are Java update files, and other important programs that I must have. So..... is it really OK to delete these (since the programs may already have been installed and the files are no longer needed?) I'm a newbie -- please comment! Finally, Vista always tells me that I don't need to...
August 7th 08 03:57 AM
by HappyAndyK[_48_] Go to last post
7 336
Full Diskette On File Replace by Joel[_4_]
I am an advanced user (been using PCs since the IBM annoucement in 1981 - actually used Apple II+'s before that... LOL). So what I am trying to confirm here is whether this is 'expected behavior' for Vista or perhaps something specific to this Dell XPS 420 (desktop). I am up to date on all SPs and fixes. Dell support says this is an MS issue. Now I may one of the few people still backing up...
August 6th 08 02:43 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post
7 265
Suddenly name change (localized) in Start Menu by sarkazme
Hello, I've got a problem with my 'Start Menu'. Suddenly the name of my 'Ontspanning' -folder, named in dutch, is changed in 'Games'. How can I change this back, so I have the original dutch name called? Thanks
August 6th 08 08:40 AM
by sarkazme Go to last post
0 293
Deleting previous file names dialog box when saving files in Vista by ithoulos
Not sure if Ive described this correctly but I would like to clear the previous file names dialog box when Im saving files, its almost like autocomplete, but it picks up on any previous file names and tries to use them again, how do i remove this. So if I start with the letter "a" it will show all the previous file names I saved as with the letter "a" and so on, how do I clear it, or remove...
August 6th 08 08:19 AM
by ithoulos Go to last post
0 223
open program by iMarriedMyself
I'd like to know where are the opened program links located ? when we click Start, we see opened program list. Any help please ?
August 6th 08 02:38 AM
by iMarriedMyself Go to last post
0 216
Video thumbnails not generating automaticly. by chieftain20
Hello i just recently signed up for this site and now I need some desperate help. I have searched just about everything that i can think of and none of it is just working out. Here's my dilemma: I've just recently installed a fresh brand new copy of Vista 64-bit Premium (and after many hours of dealing with dynamic discs and backing up and else) and now noticed that my video thumbnails are not...
August 5th 08 07:25 PM
by chieftain20 Go to last post
1 230
File comments from XP by rescueball
In XP file/properties/details/comments allows comments which can be included in a directory listing. Vista uses a different method *but* when networking to an XP drive the comments that were added in XP no longer show. When the file is copied to Vista there is still no comments. Any comments?? -- rescueball
August 5th 08 10:31 AM
by rescueball Go to last post
0 287
Deleted Icons re-appear on Desktop by KiwiHawk
Hi I'm a newbie her, so apologies if someone has already asked. I'm Vista Ultimate on a Core 2 Duo PC, 2GB RAM , 350GB Hdd. I have a problem where periodically any deleted icons or files from either my desktop or quick launch bar re-appear. For example I have a bunch of PDF files on my desktop I don't need anymore, I dragged the files into the recycle bin, then emptied the recycle bin,...
August 5th 08 12:38 AM
by KiwiHawk Go to last post
0 313
(Save as) Download Window by Zardoc
When you download a file, most of the time the (save as) window has a new feature in Vista that hides the folder view. You can click a button on the lower left hand side to show folders. My question, Did you find a way to have this window show folders all the time as default and is there a way to have the size of that window stay to the size that you adjusted (bigger)?? :confused:
August 4th 08 06:17 PM
by Zardoc Go to last post
2 303
Flash Drive issues by George W. Barrowcliff
I bought a 2 gb Minnie Mouse Flash Drive. When I plug it in to the usb port two drives are shown as mounted. A 1 Gb drive is shown as "CD Drive (G:)Minnie" and the second 1 Gb is shown as a normal "Removable Disk (F:)" and operates as I would expect. The Minnie volume has two files, one an autorun.inf and the other is Minnie.exe, a 1 mb flash file that displays a screen full of Minnie mouse...
August 4th 08 04:37 PM
by George W. Barrowcliff Go to last post
4 364
Lost choices at the Search Pane’s Context Menu by AIR_STAR
Hi all, I’m really glad having found this forum! – It seems to be a perfectly wonderful platform. With my first post I want to describe a relatively small problem, but I would be happy, if someone could help me out with this: In the (advanced) Search Pane, with a right click on a file folder I miss the two choice options ‘*Open*’ and ‘*Open folder...
August 4th 08 02:36 PM
by AIR_STAR Go to last post
0 276
Thumbnails for QuickTime movies by esieens
Hello, I have been unable to create thumbnails for .mov (quicktime) movies. Works fine for jpg or mpg files. Do you know how to get this working? Thanks.
August 4th 08 08:15 AM
by Hank Arnold (MVP) Go to last post

From The