Email and Windows Vista All issues relating to email and email software using Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)

Unsent messages in outbox

Old March 18th 07, 01:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Michelle

Default Unsent messages in outbox

I have unsent messages in my outbox. I get an error message regarding the
POP3 or something like that. What could the problem be?
--
Michelle Maust
Old March 18th 07, 03:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Patsy Dalton

"Michelle" wrote:

I have unsent messages in my outbox. I get an error message regarding the
POP3 or something like that. What could the problem be?
--
Michelle Maust

have the same problem I don't think I'm opening my account properly do I
sign in with my msn account e-mail address. and follow throught as if I were
getting mail in and out through msn?

Old March 18th 07, 11:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
bjr

I had this problem (cannot connect to smtp...- the ISP email computer)
occur on my wife's machine yesterday when the comcast highspeed went
out for a while. I copies the contents of the message, deleted the
message in the outbox, and then had her recreate the message for
sending. Message then was sent .

Old March 18th 07, 06:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Cecil

When I try to delete the 1st message in the OUTBOX that seems to be holding
up the sending of subsequent messages, I get a message "Unknown error has
occurred". Then another box drops down with the message "Deleting messages"
but none get deleted.

Old March 18th 07, 10:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Gary VanderMolen

Welcome to the club!

There are a few workarounds floating around, but several people
have reported severe corruption of their message store afterwards,
so I don't recommend the current crop of workarounds.

If you really can't send with Windows Mail due to the stuck message
in the Outbox, then either send that message with web mail, or else
install another email program like Thunderbird or Microsoft Outlook.

Gary VanderMolen

Old March 18th 07, 10:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Trick

Michelle - Did your WinMail ever send any messages at all?

If not, contacting your internet service provider (ISP) is likely needed to
get their account settings worked out. They are too arcane & specific to
discuss here. I've spent a lot of time doing that with some installations,
once it works you're good to go.

If so, then as Gary replied, there are workarounds here to fix a known
symptom for an issue that MS/Vista installations have where randomly a
message suddenly gets stuck in a WinMail box for no apparent reason. If it
is the outbox, it blocks sending more mail. You have to be a little more
than novice to implement the corrective steps though. See what you can find
in other threads around here. Search on "outbox" or "stuck".

I think Gary is referring to not recommending the threads that talk about
deleting only a certain 'MessageStor' file because there are posts pointing
out trouble & no fix is experienced with that but I'm not knowledgeable
enough. MS had me delete the whole WinMail email storage folder named 'Local
Folder' and have the system regenerate it. So far that has not caused me any
trouble & fixed my sending issue.

Old March 26th 07, 07:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
R. C. White, MVP

Hi, Michelle.

If you get that error message again, please copy it and post it here
verbatim. Even if it is confusing to you (and maybe to me), it will mean a
lot to the folks here who can help you. (POP3 is the current version of
Post Office Protocol, or something like that.)

Your mail server name may not be correctly entered in Tools | Accounts, on
the Server tab in Properties for your server. News servers don't always
require passwords, but Mail servers usually do, and some of them require
other security features, too, like SPA. And some mail servers will refuse
to send mail unless you are logged on to them directly, rather than through
another portal, even though they might download incoming mail for you.

If you are still having the problem, please post back with more details.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP
(Running Windows Mail in Vista Ultimate x64)

Old March 28th 07, 12:52 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
can't delete outbox message.

when i try to delete the message in the outbox i get this messa

An unknown error has occured. (with an OK box)

If i let it sit for severan seconds, a new box comes up:

Deleting Message.

this sits there for ever, never deleting the message.

this message was sent out ok i beleave, if i go back and look at the message
it says:

Message could not be displayed
Windows Mail encountered an unexpected problem while displaying this
message. Check your computer for low memory or low disk space and try again.

this is getting annoining... please help to delete this.
thanks.
paul.............

Old March 28th 07, 02:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Steve Cochran

The only clear solution to this at the moment is to go to the Windows Mail
directory (Tools | Options | Maintenance | Store Folder) and move everything
from that directory to another directory. Then WinMail will start fresh.
You can then use File | Import | Messages and point to the directory to
which you moved the message store to recover the messages.

steve

Old March 28th 07, 03:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Gary VanderMolen

For now, forget about deleting that stuck message, and ignore it.
Hopefully MS will come out with a fix soon.

Gary VanderMolen