Threads in Forum : General Vista Help and Support Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
DVD/CD media content not recognized by Hapkido
I have a client who is having a problem with her Toshiba Laptop DVD/CD drive. The machine came with Vista Home Premium installed. It has all updates, no spyware nor viruses, etc., when scanned with Malwarebytes and Kaspersky AV 8.0.0.506. When a burned or pressed disk is inserted into the drive, it spins up but no content is recognized. Right-clicking on the drive in Computer and choosing...
June 5th 10 10:02 AM
by CDcopiers Go to last post
3 279
multi-user system by KRK
Hello Vista is a multi-user system. My PC is used by me, my wife, children, etc etc, we all have out own logon ids & passwords. I am the only Administrator. My son downloads a useful program from the www. He wants me & everyone else to use it. He has a shortcut to the program on his desktop.
June 4th 10 04:01 PM
by Bruce Chambers Go to last post
3 342
How to remove AOL uninstaller by Stephen Ford
I have uninstalled all the AOL apps from my Vista PC but the Uninstaller remains. The system bar also contains an AOL connection icon. How do I remove the unistaller and the icon?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
June 4th 10 02:30 PM
by Stephen Ford Go to last post
11 576
Installer by cooperman
Help! I'm running Vista Home Premium and theres a glitch of somekind, whenever I try to download a programme and try and run it my installer seems to pop up in the way and says opening installer and then times out with an error...whats happening ?
June 4th 10 02:01 PM
by cooperman Go to last post
3 279
Displaying chinese characters by gummybear852
Hi All: I have Vista home premium installed. I have some songs that are in chinese, what can I download to make the song titles etc display properly in WMA? I don't understand why at the moment some characters are displayed perfectly fine while others are a whole bunch of symbols. Can anyone help? Many thanks in advance!
June 4th 10 10:50 AM
by saladice[_2_] Go to last post
4 380
DVD drive spinning up by Linea Recta
How can I prevent the DVD drive pinning up each time when NOT in use?? In configuration I have already disabled all auto run options! Or is the only remedy taking out the disk each time? -- regards, |\ /| | \/ |@rk
June 3rd 10 11:43 PM
by TheDuck[_2_] Go to last post
5 363
Windows Defender not loading at startup by Billericay Pete
It's ticked in msconfig - Startup, but never loads Alert each time loaded manually and 'Turned-On' but never loads on reboot any ideas? Thanks in advance Pete
June 3rd 10 09:20 PM
by Billericay Pete Go to last post
4 326
Problems sending a link from a web page to email by silverfox52009
People I recently purchased a used hp laptop running windows vista buisiness when i go to a web page and want to send it to some one else with xp I used to right click it and click send to ,when I do that now I get windows office 2007 enter oroduct key to activate outlook . I use hotmail not outlook express is there something I need to change somewhere? Thanx in advance , Post Originated from...
June 3rd 10 08:37 PM
by silverfox52009 Go to last post
0 235
The Decline and Fall of the Windows Newsgroup by Jon
So what's the key difference between these groups now and a few years ago? For me it's simply the fact that the academic level has markedly dropped. This group as a place for the intelligent exchange of ideas has become essentially worthless. I first encountered the Internet / Usenet in the mid 1990s during postgraduate studies at University. The general calibre of person encountered...
June 3rd 10 08:19 PM
by Epsom F. Shagnasty Go to last post
5 366
DID YOU KNOW YOUR LAPTOP PROCESSOR CAN BE UPGRADED? by Mark Levitski[_3_]
Bill, CORRECTION: I don’t mean to say you’re a moron for posting another lame follow up to Stan's excellent articles. Stan is OK. But you - apparently suffer from Jealousy Syndrome. I just wanted you to experience being called a moron – because if you have open comments on your Newgroups post, you will inevitably receive negative comments in response to your posts – some directed at you...
June 3rd 10 02:31 AM
by Mark Levitski[_3_] Go to last post
1 230
Mail searches by Robert Aldwinckle
(cross-post added to Vista General) "BRowley7" wrote in message ... Hi, IF I enter the search keywords in the space provided @ Start Start search, then all the email I am looking for will show up. Since your OS is Vista, is that finding messages which were stored by WinMail, your OS native mail...
June 3rd 10 02:01 AM
by Bob Go to last post
5 261
vista on old laptop to w7 on new laptop by Paul H
If someone buys a new laptop with w7, can she move her installed applications from her old vista laptop to her new w7 laptop? TIA, Paul
June 3rd 10 01:10 AM
by Paul H Go to last post
5 272
Backing Up Files by Gene L.[_2_]
Shenan: Thanks for not only reading my inquiry about file back up but for reading it carefully enough to sense my fear of tackling something over my head. I can move around pretty well between folders and programs. I have used spreadsheets for years but before I retired we always had Data Processing personnel to recover lost data. I have set up the peripherals on my computer many times so I...
June 2nd 10 10:32 PM
by Gene L.[_2_] Go to last post
0 290
Speech Recognition in Word 2003 on Vista by QuantumGood
I have used Microsoft Office's built-in speech recognition successfully with Word 2003 on XP. Now I am trying to use Vista's speech recognition with Word 2003. The training program recognizes voice properly, as evidenced by saying a training phrase improperly: it won't let you advance to the next screen until you say it properly. So it is hearing and understanding voice. But no words EVER...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
June 2nd 10 10:28 PM
by Mark Conrad[_6_] Go to last post
18 790
Backing Up Files by Gene L.[_2_]
I have just finished a back-up of my files as of June 30th, It took 5 DVD's to complete using the "Back Up Program" on my Vista Home Premium, 32 bit start menu. Does this sound reasonable? If it became necessary to restore my files following a hard disc problem, would all my spreadsheets, letters, programs, registry, desk top, etc. be restored to the condition they are now? If not, what...
June 2nd 10 09:42 PM
by Shenan Stanley Go to last post
6 374
System freeze since SP1 update by Franz Schenk
Have updated my Dell Vostro 1700 with Vista SP1. Since then, the computer sometimes freezes completely. The mouse pointer disappears, ctrl alt del has no effect. Have waited onetime for two hours, the system is still freezed. Have then to press for 8 seconds the power button, and the system restarts. This happened 4 times since the SP1 installation There is absolutely nothing logged appart...
June 2nd 10 05:34 PM
by Nil[_3_] Go to last post
6 332
Error while synchronizing with net time server by Ken Isaacson
Vista Ultimate SP2 I just noticed that my machine will not synchronize with any of the Internet time servers. It's set to do so automatically, but I see an error saying "An error occurred while Windows was synchronizing with . This happens is I try to sync manually, and it happens with all server (i.e. time.windows.com, time.nist.gov, time-a.nist.gov, time-b.nist.gov, time-nw.nist.gov).
June 2nd 10 12:41 PM
by Shenan Stanley Go to last post
6 312
A SUGGESTION 4 MICROSOFT: SHUT THIS NEWS GROUP DOWN A.S.A.P.! by Tecknomage
Comment on subject... Microsoft does NOT control Newsgroups (thank God). No one entity controls Newsgroups in general. The only control is IF a Newsgroup is monitored, even then if the monitor goes away the Newsgroup still persists, and the vast majority of Newsgroups are unmonitored. The only way a specific Newsgroup gets deleted is IF EVERY Usenet provider deletes it from their NNTP Server....
June 2nd 10 01:40 AM
by Brent Go to last post
2 316
scared to edit registry!! by jarsek
Hi, I once had software called Winamp installed. I no longer wanted it so went through the proper uninstall process and it all went smoothly. However now when I boot up and log into Vista I get a little error message saying there's a problem with winamp and that I should re-install to rectify it! it has an OK button that gets rid of the message. It's not causing any problems but it's...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
May 31st 10 11:39 PM
by Gene E. Bloch Go to last post
12 556
How do I create a Manufactures Restore Partition? on a new HDD? by Artreid[_2_]
I have a Gateway Desktop 1tb hdd and would like to create restore partition the way Gateway would have created it when it left the shop. I believe the create a 5-10 Gg partition with a picture of what the machine look like (vanilla). Can any one tell me how to do this myself or point me to instructions? My think it that it might be as simple as using say, Acropolis to create a full backup...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
May 31st 10 11:16 PM
by Gene E. Bloch Go to last post

From The