Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Queries, comments and issues relating to the administration of Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Cannot use Remote Assistance from 2003\XP by Or Tsemah
How can i connect to a Vista computer using Remote Assistance from an XP\2003 Client. When i try to use this using the SMS Console i get an "Server cannot create automation objects" Is there an update to the XP RA ? like the RDP Ver. 6 ? Thanks. Or
November 12th 06 09:52 AM
by Or Tsemah Go to last post
0 432
Automatic Log-out / Lock by Jay
Yes, oh GOD, PLEASE, SOMEONE! What's the whole damn idea!? Vista, the best system my eyes have ever seen, decided to lock my computer every time I leave it. This even means that my wireless connection gets severed every time the system does that, which seriously p****s me off, since I have a habit of leaving the machine to do its downloading for me. There is absolutely NO option anywhere to...
November 14th 06 04:25 AM
by Arianna Go to last post
5 466
What would the effect be of taking ownership of a drive? by jd
I have 3 drives: 20gb for the os, 160 gb for my documents, and a 250 for video/music etc. After a clean install, all the files on the second and third drives have an Unknown owner, and I keep getting administrator prompts when i move/delete/etc. What would happen if I went into the properties of D: for example, and set the the owner to myself? (Instead of doing so for each folder on the...
November 15th 06 02:01 AM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
3 453
Is this right? New activation required for each Vista upgrade by Spirefm
I downloaded 5536 from the Microsoft site, then 5600 and am now downloading 5278. Each upgrade has needed to be activated (which I've done vocally over the phone without trouble). I just thought that, having activated it once, upgrades would not require re-activation. Colin
November 15th 06 11:30 AM
by Keith Go to last post
3 426
HTA's in Vista by Pete Gomersall
Hi, Does anyone know why HTA code that previously worked in XP doesn't in Vista? For example this code taken from the HTA Developers Center on Script Center works fine in XP and also on Vista if called within a .vbs file however it doesn't work in Vista when used in a HTA: Sub GetOSVersion strComputer = "." Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer &...
November 18th 06 03:16 AM
by Slim Go to last post
3 524
Domain User Names Listed on Login Screen? by CyberiaTech
Is there a way to make domain usernames "sticky" so that they will always appear on the login screen? This is intended for use in a small office with few users. I just thought it would be easier to click on the name, type password, and you're in. The best I can do so far is login as one user, go to switch user, and log in as another. Then, both domain users are listed on the login screen.
November 20th 06 03:48 AM
by CyberiaTech Go to last post
2 460
Firewalls that work with Vista by Adil Hindistan
Anyone aware of Personal Firewalls that work with Vista? I tried McAfee Antivirus Plus but caused Vista to crush after I got a message which said it was incompatible. I had to log in safe mode and remove it. I know Vista has a better firewall now but it does not block outgoing traffic by default and I would really want something that would warn me when an application wants to access internet...
November 20th 06 01:02 PM
by Josh Go to last post
5 470
problems starting a msi file from an application: security message does not appear! by Christoph Guentner
Hello, On: Vista Home Basic, User with restricted rights I want to start an msi file from an appplication (done with VB6). Here is my line of code: shell "%windir%\system32\msiexec.exe /i ""c:\Program files\mypath\mysetup.msi"" /passive", vbNormalFocus The line is executed and the msi file is started.
November 20th 06 03:19 PM
by Christoph Guentner Go to last post
0 391
You need permission to perform this action !!!! by PierreDa
Hi, Vista RTM. New install. I become a little bit crazy when trying to do "simple things" ! I have administrator rigths ans I disabled UAC directly after finishing installing Vista. Everything is installing perfectly ... right now ;-)
November 20th 06 05:20 PM
by PierreDa Go to last post
0 382
Vista RTM Activation by Adrian
I was a Windows Vista beta tester and have received Windows Vista Ultimate edition as my complimentary copy by Microsoft for beta testing the beta versions of Vista. Anyways, I couldn't activate my Windows Vista using the product key provided by Microsoft in an e-mail sent shortly after filling an online survey. Can I get a new product key for my Windows Vista Ultimate edition? Please help...
November 21st 06 10:19 AM
by barchstein Go to last post
3 385
Question related to UAC by Hyung-Dong
Hi, I have question about UAC What I understand is that any software program is excuted in User Mode in Windows Vista even though the user loged in as Admin To execute software program in Admin Mode as in previouse OS, I should mark XML using the executing software program's manifest and get the user prove in the middle of program execution, then the mode will be changed to Admin mode
November 21st 06 12:49 PM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
2 366
Windows Server 2003 SP1 Admin Tools? by Stuart [MVP]
I see that support for "installing" the W2K3 SP1 admin pak has been added in RTM but I can't get many of the tools to work. All I get is "MMC failed to load snap-in". Anyone have a solution or a different experience to share? Regards, Stuart.
November 21st 06 07:16 PM
by Josh Go to last post
5 447
Can I move Users folder to another partition by Robert
I want to move my Users folder or my users folder to another partition on my harddrive, is that possible ? Best regards, Robert!
November 22nd 06 05:10 AM
by Adil Hindistan Go to last post
1 407
Administration Control by Petey T
I am the only user on my pc and have an administrator account, but I tried to install some software and I was told I needed to be an administrator or a power user, another piece of software- Tune Up Utilities- did this on part of its program but i simply right clicked and set it up to run as an administrator but doing this on the download I have (AdFlex) does nothing. I can also not access...
November 22nd 06 06:05 AM
by Timu CHEN Go to last post
7 412
Not able to logon by Trevor Tinsman
I have been using Vista 5600 RC1 since it came out. No problems whatsoever with it unti last night. I had a second hard drive that I installed last night and Vista picked it right up and allowed me to format the drive. I was doing this for a friend, so all I did was install thye drive (windows picked it up) formatted it, then uninstalled it. When I started the machine up it came to the...
November 22nd 06 06:30 AM
by Timu CHEN Go to last post
2 387
UAC starts minimized by Christoph Guentner
I have an executable zipped to a selfextracting exe. When the exe inside that zip file is started the UAC appears. When I run the selfextracting exe, it extracts the exe inside to the temp folder and runs it. When in this case the UAC is started minimized. So many users won't see this. How to make the UAC appear? Any idea
November 22nd 06 05:26 PM
by Kristan Kenney Go to last post
1 422
unable to access cd by John
My Computer keeps displaying the message 'Administrator has prohibited accss to CD/DVD ROM drives.' asthe administrator of my computer i do not remember setting this, how do i remove this so that i can access my drives ? John
November 22nd 06 08:56 PM
by Jerry P Go to last post
2 412
Fast user switching - please help by Michael
In XP pressing windows key + L would return you to the main screen with available accounts. In vista in returns you to an "account locked" screen. From there you have to press "switch user" to get to the main screen with accounts. How can one skip this annoying "account locked" screen and make windows key + L return directly to main logon screen, just as in XP?? Any help would be greatly...
November 23rd 06 01:45 AM
by RajKohli Go to last post
3 480
Password by Sam
I would like to recover from hibernation without having to use a password, anyone know if this is possible? Thanks.
November 23rd 06 01:55 AM
by RajKohli Go to last post
3 494
Vista Pricing by RobertLane
Amazon is listing Vista Ultimate DVD upgrade at $259. It is currently not available but you can sign up to be notified when they will be accepting orders.
November 23rd 06 03:29 PM
by RobertLane Go to last post

From The