Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
  Rating Thread / Thread Starter Last Post Replies Reverse Sort Order Views
Can't select multiple files in my computer by Eran
Hi, I can't select multiple files in "my computer (explorer)" using the ctrl and shift keys. I can't even multiple select with the mouse. Any ideas how to fix this? Thanks,
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
May 9th 07 06:16 AM
by Xiaoyang Go to last post
16 350
WinSxS by Fuzz-666
its taken up 12 gigs on my harddrive, how do i safely remove it without hurting the system or make it smaller. -- Fuzz-666
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 29th 09 06:07 AM
by No Name Go to last post
16 853
Moving the Vista equiv. of "My Docs" to "F" drive by six-h
I've just been instructed on how to move the XP "My Docs/Pics/etc." to a different drive, away from the OS, whilst maintaining their special properties. Having Vista Ultimate on my Main PC, I've struggled for a year with the set-up that was installed, and every time I want to file something, I have to painfully navigate to my "F" (data) drive, and the required folders. I don't know anyone...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
August 20th 09 08:43 PM
by Gordon[_9_] Go to last post
16 346
Create Disk Partition / Dual boot? by Lee[_14_]
Question: How do you create a disk partition in Vista Home premium if the disk is not dynamic? I would like to install a trial version of Windows 7 to see if business apps will run.... and would much prefer to keep all of that on a seperate partition with option to boot either Win7 or Vista... articles or professional advice on pros and cons desired...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 22nd 09 01:58 PM
by Brink Go to last post
16 382
Windows Search 4 - Wildcard in file content by Ken-T
Hi, firstly, apologies if this post lands in the wrong groups. Have Windows Search 4 in use under XP pro. Works rather nicely - but - although I can use wildcards such as "*" for file names - use of wildcards for words contained in file content does not work for the word begining. So, in a content search, bana* will find banana but
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 24th 09 07:18 AM
by Ken-T Go to last post
16 432
Missing torrent files by Zilius
I recently torrent a file which seems to be missing from my pc. One of the solution proposed by some of the older forum thread includes selecting compatibility files. I'm not sure what they meant by compatibility files? I'm using vista x64 and I checked everywhere but I can't seem to find what they are talking about. some sources says it might be in the temporary internet folders. my folder...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 31st 09 02:37 AM
by R. C. White Go to last post
16 595
Are my files arranged as they should be? by browniebodrum
When I got my Vista Business laptop in spring I had a lot of problems accessing folders which I'd transferred over from my previous laptop which was running XP, and I kept getting messages to say I did not have permission to open the folder (or something like that) even though I am the only user of the Vista machine (as I was on the XP machine) and I have administrator rights in Vista. I'd...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 22nd 09 01:33 AM
by browniebodrum Go to last post
16 692
Is Vista updates recommandable before upgrading to Windows 7? by MAT
Is Windows Vista updates recommandable before upgrading to Windows 7? Should I just upgrade directly from Windows Vista in the original edition (after a recovery) and without all the other updates to Windows 7 (saving a lot of time), or is it better to do all Vista updates before upgrading to Windows 7?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 20th 09 06:07 PM
by MAT Go to last post
16 974
File Encrytion by Gene L.
Is there a way to encrypt all the files on my hard drive? I know my word processing and spreadsheet files have a Microsoft Office option but how about e-mails and other non-Microsoft applications? If not, what is the best way to wipe my hard drive completely clean? Many thanks for your suggestions. Gene L.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 5th 09 05:20 PM
by Kerry Brown Go to last post
16 673
Task scheduler doesn't wake computer by Dave T.[_2_]
Vista Home Premium x86... I've set Task Scheduler to wake up my computer at a specified time, but it fails to do so. I checked out the following kb article, and adhered to it as well as possible; http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929463/en-us The log reports state that it failed and timed out. It terminates the task with an error code 329 (Timed out) when I wake the computer in the morning....
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
July 29th 08 05:26 AM
by Brink Go to last post
16 527
"Could not find this item" again by Vman
Hey everybody, this is the second time I can't delete a 0 kb file off my desktop. Vista tells me that it doesn't exist, but it's there on my desktop. I've tried several things, restarting, deleting in safe mode, deleting via cmd (as administrator), deleting as another user and lots more. And unfortunately Unlocker doesn't support Vista 64. Last time it happened I successfully deleted it in the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 2nd 09 04:42 PM
by Jamesinator5[_2_] Go to last post
16 1,049
Vista not indexing folders that are selected for indexing by [email protected]
I have search indexing turned on, and several folders selected for indexing including the "documents" folder (which I have moved to the location "D:\documents"). However, some of the sub-folders in "documents" are not being indexed. I search for "*.*" or any other search term in a folder with hundreds of files, and nothing is returned. I must use the advanced search function and select...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 13th 07 11:11 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
16 318
Search files by content by Paddy
I have a directory with a large number of subdirectories and files. I wish to find all files that contain a certain search phrase (i.e. the search phrase is not in the file name, but in the contents of the file). Most of the files are plain ASCII text with assorted extensions. In Windows XP, this was easy and quick; there was a place in the search options to search on the contents. In Vista...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 6th 08 02:13 AM
by thuse Go to last post
16 339
Move Outlook .pst files from old XP computer to new Vista computer by Crausch
Let's start by saying I'm not a techie, and I work out of my home, so please explain things SIMPLY to me, because I've got no one to ask. I have been working for two Days to figure out how to move my outlook mail files, contacts and calendar from my old XP, Office 2003 computer to my new Vista, Office 2007 computer . The Microsoft help page says to backup your outlook.pst files to an...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
July 14th 09 11:47 PM
by Peter Foldes Go to last post
16 540
Why is the Vista Folder Customization/Templating so FUBAR???? by Keith Hill [MVP][_2_]
Riddle me this, why does Vista think this folder is of type "Pictures and Videos"? Whoever implemented this feature needs to be made aware of the annoyance they are causing a lot of people. Where is the button for that "we share your pain electric shock buzzer" cause I want to press it (a lot). Come'on how hard can this be? How about this as an idea. Don't mess with the view of any of...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 3rd 08 09:00 PM
by Charles Go to last post
16 493
preview pane by malcp
does anyone know how to make preview pane preview office docs . I have office 2003 professional and vista ultimate. Preview pane in explorer previews pictures music and even adobe pdf files but willl not do office docs from word or excel. microsoft support says it does not do them but why. So I am hoping that someone out there knows how to fix the problem as I cant see the point of preview...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
July 25th 08 04:12 PM
by Dave Wood [MSFT] Go to last post
16 388
Mapping MY Documents and My Pictures to e:\ by GW
Hi, Every time I want to attach a file, Vista goes to c:\. I want to save my files somewhere else and have Vista know about it. Is this possible?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 11th 07 06:53 PM
by amonra[_4_] Go to last post
16 340
Open with - files associations - don't work by Hasta-la-Vista
:cry: I have a serious problem which makes Vista practically unusable on my amd64 machine. Here is an example of it: Having changed my default browser, the .html and .htm file associations had been set to "unknown". Don't ask me why. Trying to set them via the usual mechanisms: "open with" or "file associations" menus does not work because they are populated only with MS programs. All attempts...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 22nd 09 05:12 AM
by aprilia1k Go to last post
16 399
Resize 32-bit XP partition from 64-bit Vista by Zack Barresse
I have a partition on my laptop with Vista 64-bit as my main OS. The second partition is an XP build (32-bit). I want to resize the XP partition but the built in Vista disk management controls keep bringing back an error. I'm thinking about reformatting and putting on a 32-bit Vista. Any pointers or know how I can resize w/o formatting? Any help would be appreciated. -- Zack...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 30th 08 02:36 PM
by Zack Barresse Go to last post
16 641
Single folder disappeared from desktop! by TeamReg
Hi guys, Im new to the forums, Ive browsed here before & think its great! I would really appreciate some help with a problem I have... Yesterday a folder on my desktop completely vanished, it contained some important photos, and after trying quite a few different ways of locating it Ive had no luck as of yet... The folder on my desktop was called 'Mannequin', containing about 30
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 2nd 10 02:54 PM
by No Name Go to last post
16 1,107