Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Moved 'documents', now all my files are gone.. by Paul van der Heu
I just installed Vista ultimate and (as I did with XP) I kept my 'my documents'filder on a separate drive. When I assigned the 'documents'folder of Vista to that folder (in my case E:\_my Documents_) all files in that folder were gone, just the subfolders remain.. Now I put the 'documents'assignement back to its original place, but the old folder is still gone and still called 'documents'. I...
February 28th 07 07:15 AM
by ceece Go to last post
7 265
Windows Explorer crashes during cut and paste by Eric Roberts
Whenever I try to do a cut and paste, windows explorer crashes. It doesn't matter if I am doing it between 2 windows or copy, then navigate to the new location, and paste. This is Vista Ultimate...AthalonXP 2200+, 2 gig ddr ram, 300gig hd Eric
February 28th 07 06:55 AM
by ceece Go to last post
2 259
Cannot open folders by Naht
All folders on my computer containing music will not open without me manually clicking "explore". If I try a simple double-click, a pop-up appears informing me that there is no program "associated" with this file type, and directing me to the Set Associations control panel. Obviously, since folders are neither applications nor file types, they didn't appear in the list. I've rummaged...
February 28th 07 04:25 AM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP Go to last post
3 244
Searches by esseye
Every time I try to search the message says SEARCH DID NOT INITIALIZE. What does this mean and how can I fix it?
February 28th 07 03:11 AM
by esseye Go to last post
0 268
Row selection in Windows Explorer by PKnost
Anyone know how to get Explorer to not select the entire row in Detail View? I just want to select the Name column. Thanks!
February 27th 07 10:45 PM
by Puppy Breath Go to last post
5 300
Annoying Delete Shortcut Confirmation by nLinked
If you delete a shortcut of a program into the Recycle Bin, it always give an annoying confirmation saying that deleting the shortcut is not the same as uninstalling the program. But I already know this! This was such an annoyance in XP and it's still here in Vista. Is there a tweak or registry edit that will remove this confirmation and let me send program shortcuts into the Recycle Bin...
February 27th 07 09:37 PM
by nLinked Go to last post
2 249
Vista Command Line by rshol
I am running the final release version of Vista as a regular user (not admin). In Explorer I see a folder with the path c:\Users\Me\Documents where I have stored all of my documents. However, when I open a command prompt and cd c:\Users\Me\Documents the folder cannot be found. What gives? In C:\Users\Me dir /A:H produces the following line: 02/18/2007 06:41 PM My Documents Thanks.
February 27th 07 08:32 PM
by rshol Go to last post
3 256
Lost data files and favorites in Vista Beta 2 by SteveH
I upgraded my XP Pro machine to Windows Vista beta 2. It ran well for about 1 week and I attempted to install Symantec Antivirus 10.2 for Vista. It installed fine and initially ran fine but when I rebooted all I got was blue screens. I performed a System Restore and the system booted fine but then I found that all of my documents in the "My Documents" folder and on my desktop were gone. The...
February 27th 07 07:06 PM
by SteveH Go to last post
0 220
how do you find all videos or pdfs with the new search tool by Frustrated
Where did that ability go. Or files by size. what is ms doing? this is a horrible search engine compared to xp and 2003 svr. -- help
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
February 27th 07 06:52 PM
by Keith Miller MVP Go to last post
10 360
word and excel and microsoft publisher by Oscar
Hi there, I just got my new lap top with windows vista. I don't know much about vista, so where do I get the microsoft word, excel and publisher for vista? Do I need to purchase ?
February 27th 07 06:32 PM
by Puppy Breath Go to last post
2 229
Downloaded files are nowhere by Esmee
When I download files, I download them to a folder. But when I look in that folder, it's empty. I'm sure I did it right. What can I do?
February 27th 07 04:37 PM
by Peter Johnson Go to last post
2 314
Not enough memory to complete this operation by John Smith
Hi, I am using Windos Vista Ultimate and a laptop Pentium M 1.8GHz, 2 GB RAM and 60GB HDD. After installing Windos Vista, I needed to restore the files (backup) using copy/paste or drag-and-drog facility. However, whenever I do it, after few minutes, the message - not enough memory to complete this operation - appears and the process is aborted. I dont know if Vista changed the way to...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
February 27th 07 03:23 PM
by maxnorris Go to last post
10 458
File duplication by Paul Williams, Argyll, Scotland
Vista appears to be copying all my files with a number added ie "filename" is copied as "filename(1)". Sometimes there are several copies, in one case going as far as filename (13). Whta's going on? These don't appear to be shadow copies and they're cluttering up my disc. Thanks
February 27th 07 12:25 PM
by Paul Williams, Argyll, Scotland Go to last post
0 212
Restoring/fixing file? by scotty
I was cleaning up my hard drice and somehow lost the C:/windows/system32/config/systemprofile/Desktop file. I still have everything hidden in my drive, but my desktop is pretty much cleared up, except for the recycle bin and computer icons. How do I fix this problem? Thanks in advance!
February 27th 07 12:44 AM
by scotty Go to last post
2 189
Blank Pager Icons in My Computer by Danny
I am getting some strange icons when I open My Computer. They are blank page icons that have the top right corner turned down. Sometimes I get 3 of these icons, other times there are up to 7. They are not editable or selectable in any way (IE Right click, properties does nothing, double click does nothing). Here is a...
February 26th 07 08:13 PM
by Keith Miller MVP Go to last post
5 225
Redirected folders don't make avaliable offline? by nickname
I am using Windows Vista on a SBS 2003 domain. I have set the folder redirection via group policy and also set "User ConfigurationAdministrative TemplatesSystemFolder Redirection'Do not automatically make redirected folders availaible offline'" to enabled. However windows vista still insists on making these folders avaliable offline and will not allow me to change it. How can i resolve...
February 26th 07 08:19 AM
by Ken Zhao [MSFT] Go to last post
1 230
windows navigation panel error by dr de-one
i think navigation panel may have a bug. one of the programs i was using wrote the data to a comma delimited generic word and spreedsheet file in the that specfic program file. when i used the navigation panel to find them they were not there. when i used microsoftword or spreedsheet program they were there when i changed the name in the search panel of the word program by right clicking and...
February 26th 07 02:57 AM
by dr de-one Go to last post
0 199
Deleted files re-appear in VISTA by will f
Hi. I've encountered some very strange behavior while troubleshooting an app, and would like some help. I did a complete uninstall of the program. The uninstall removed the programs directory structure - as it should have. It deleted the C:\Program Files\My Company\My App Name folder. I then manually re-created the directory structure, C:\Program Files\My
February 26th 07 12:02 AM
by cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) Go to last post
7 239
Outlook 2000 Messages by Fred Myers
I am unable to import Outlook messages in Windows Mail. I get the message: "Messages cannot be imported from the MAPI client. An error has occurred." How do I import these messages?
February 25th 07 11:23 PM
by Peter Foldes Go to last post
2 215
Folder tip text by Viervlek
In Windows 2000 I could enter extra text in a desktop.ini-file as Infotip=Example, which was displayed as Infotip when moving the cursor over the folder. Does anyone know how to do this in Vista?
February 25th 07 04:02 PM
by Keith Miller MVP Go to last post

From The