Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
How to make all the folders into medium sized icons by harish9999
Hi, How to make all the folders into medium sized icons. i mean i don't want windows to remember folder settings separately. and i have tried removing this (remember each folder view setting) like in XP but it didnt help. and also if i reset everything in views\ reset folder. all icons turns into detailed view but i want them to be medium sized.. is there any possibility to turn all into medium...
June 4th 08 08:29 PM
by Brink Go to last post
5 219
Document Details (Summary) by KathyNeedsHelp
In the old XP days I could select a file's property then the Summary tab to add a comment about a document. Under Vista it's the Details tab but the comment doesn't show up when I hover the mouse over the file name. What am I doing wrong? How do I see the comment for the file? All I get is the Type, Size, Date and Page count. No comments, title or tags. I use this feature frequently and am...
June 4th 08 06:21 PM
by KathyNeedsHelp Go to last post
0 179
unable to rename network folders with windows Vista by Ed
This is also mentioned he http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=522208&SiteID=17 I am unable to rename a new file or folder on a network share with Windows Vista Business Edition. When I try, it pulls up a "Copy Folder" dialog box. This is what the box says: The U:\Drivers folder does not exist. The file may have been moved or deleted. Do you want to create it?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
June 4th 08 03:27 PM
by hupp_ssi Go to last post
11 517
After 10 generations of Windows, how to search for files in Vista? by David F[_4_]
I want to search for file (in this case of type .DOC or .DOCX) by its content. For generations of Windows this was a trivial task. I could even qualify the file by type, dates, size, which path to look for, etc. I didn't believe my eyes when I could not do it in Vista. What am I missing? David
June 4th 08 02:34 PM
by On Request Go to last post
2 233
List files in folder with subfolders at top? by Steve Blake
I want to be able to list a folder's contents, newest at top, but have the existing subfolders listed first. If I select 'details' in view, then arrange in date order, I get the files listed with newest first, but the subfolders are way down at the bottom of the listing, requiring an annoying scroll down. Does anyone know a way to get what I want? Steve
June 4th 08 01:16 PM
by Donald Lessau Go to last post
1 185
Windows Explorer freeze on rename, delete, etc. by Dave
Whenever I am in Windows Explorer and I try to rename or delete a file, I can modify the file name but when I hit return the Explorer freezes up. When I try to delete, it says "calculating time remaining" but that never goes away. If I try a Search, again the Explorer freezes up. I have to go into the Task Manager and cancel the Explorer window every single time. The changes are made, but...
June 4th 08 12:17 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
3 280
cant find the jpeg files in my temp internet files by Dazed427
seem to have lost viewing of the temp jpeg files...only files that are showing now are tmp and wmp files that do not open to view..I have changed the settings to view hidden folders and so forth....
June 3rd 08 11:40 PM
by Malu Menezes [MSFT] Go to last post
1 202
installed wrong by ron
i tryied to install service pk1 for vista all languages but it would not install.what happened to that file does it just go away? i downloaded a large file over over 700mb what happens to it when it wont install?thanks ron -- ron lanzilotta
June 3rd 08 11:36 PM
by Malu Menezes [MSFT] Go to last post
1 214
Folder icon change by Avery Tom Deacon Harry[_2_]
I have a load of cd's stored on the pc with a jpg of the album cover. Now, how do I get the the icon for the folder with the cd contents in windows explorer to display the jpg of the album cover?
June 3rd 08 11:33 PM
by Malu Menezes [MSFT] Go to last post
1 212
Explorer.exe keeps crashing. by Jacen Obscura
Yesterday, I ran into a big problem. When I started my laptop, My Windows Explorer started as normal, then turned itself off. When I restarted it using Task Manager, it started, turned off, started, turned off, then stayed off again. I had only three recent installs: AntiVir, SUPERAntiSpyware (Just uninstalled last night, thinking it was the problem, but it wasn't), and Steam. Can Anyone...
June 3rd 08 11:26 PM
by Malu Menezes [MSFT] Go to last post
1 238
Unable to use previoius back up by Zydecokid
I recently purchased a new PC (Gateway w/Phenom Quad Core Processor). I am having some issues with software and network, so at Gateway's recommendation, I had to reinstall the system from factory recovery. Before I did the reinstall, I backed up my music, documents, photos, etc. After the reinstall, it will not locate the back up files, even when I direct it to the drive on which they...
June 3rd 08 10:50 PM
by Zydecokid Go to last post
0 230
finding my recycle bin by dasventes
hi i was trying to clean up my computer and i deleted a program i didn't recognize. unfortunately my skype and messenger calling programs haven't worked since. i tried to reinstall the program but i think i accidentally deleted my recycle bin and can't find it or the program anywhere. i am now unable to log onto skype and think this is related. if anyone can help me i'd be very...
June 3rd 08 08:17 PM
by Roy_ricky Go to last post
3 206
UAC & file permissions flaw? by Stelinson
I'm going to be taking my Vista Home Premium laptop abroad with & I decided to test denying access to a partition on my hard drive. It was simple enough,just right click on the drive ,open properties & make changes on the security tab. By mistake I denied access to 'Everyone'.In one swift move every file on the drive no matter how small was now inaccessible. No problem I thought & I was happy...
June 3rd 08 05:57 PM
by Stelinson Go to last post
0 183
Folder disappeared when saving a file in Windows Vista by Angie
I'm running Windows Vista. I'm trying to save a file in my c:\user\documents\ folder. The file is an Excel (2000) .xls file. Under the mentioned c:\user\documents\ I have the standard Vista folders and some othes of my own creation. If I select the folder via "desktop", then the last ones (the new folders created by myself) aren't visible under de "save file" dialog , nevertheless they...
June 3rd 08 05:28 PM
by Angie Go to last post
2 190
the files take up space but can't be found by Superdutt
ok, here's a wierd one. I have a different partition for the recovery. i was doing a windows re-install for another back-up I stuck some of my files in the recovery partition side of the hard drive. When you explored that partition, they would be there like on the normal hard drive. Once i re-installed windows i went in to find the files and they are gone. But, they are still taking up the...
June 3rd 08 05:11 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post
6 220
"Copy to" in Windows Explorer by Chufflebean
In XP, I could customize the toolbar in all my folders to have a "copy to" button that would allow me to copy (or move files) to any folder I selected. I can't find a way to customize the toolbar in Vista. I don't want to have to open a new folder to drag and drop the files, and I don't want to have to navigate to a new one to copy and paste them. Does anyone know a quick and easy way to...
June 3rd 08 04:45 PM
by Brink Go to last post
1 239
can't get my programs to uninstall by chris g
hi ive just started using vist and here is my problem. i uninstalled a program and then reinstalled it but now it comes up with 2 copies. when i try to uninstall (remove) the second copy it tells me that this option is only for installed programs i have removed all aspects of the program (or so it would seem) , so it isnt on the programs list. but as soon as i download the program again...
June 3rd 08 02:56 PM
by Stuart[_6_] Go to last post
2 179
windows explorer standard toolbar missing the UP button by tritonsenior
A simple thing that's very aggrivating with vista Windows explorer is the new toolbar (or lack of a toolbar) The XP toolbar had an UP button as well as BACK and FWD but vista has no UP button to jump up the folder tree. When you have multiple (15 or 20) network drives on the tree, it is really cumbersome to scroll the tree to point and click, when the UP button could take you up the tree in...
June 3rd 08 09:30 AM
by blueskip Go to last post
3 221
Search doesn't return any results after adding location to Index by Alert101
I have a separate HDD to which I make daily backups of my C drive. I wanted to try out a couple things with the backups to which I needed all the ZIP files that Backup & Restore has created. I first selected the folder X:\backup directory in Windows Explorer and then entered *.zip in the search box in the top right hand corner. All zip files were listed. The search took a while because of...
June 3rd 08 06:31 AM
by Alert101 Go to last post
0 212
Mouse Behaivor In "My Computer". by therock[_11_]
Guys this is painfully aggravating. When I am in mycomputer and have two panes up. File tree on left and folder view on right, I have to click in the window the mouse pointer is in to get the list to scroll. If I move my mouse to another pane and move the wheel the previous pane scrolls. Vista is the only OS I have had this behavior. Now, some 3rd party stuff will scroll the pane the mouse is...
June 3rd 08 01:16 AM
by therock[_11_] Go to last post

From The