Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Recuperar archivos eliminados definitivamente by Leonardo
Por error eliminé una carpeta que contenÃ*a muhas fotografias y pequeños videos. Cuando di la instruccion de eliminar, el softwre me advirtió que era muy grande lo que queria eliminar y que en consecuencia no habia espacio suficiente en la carpeta de eliminados, razón por la cual los archivos serian eliminados definitivamente. Confundio de carpeta -como estaba- dije que si y ahora me doy...
June 17th 08 10:47 PM
by Leonardo Go to last post
0 151
continuous creation of temp files by MATT
Hi, Something is continuously creating temp files in my C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Local\Temp directory. About every minute, a zip file is created named something like Temp1_040528.zip. It contains a bunch of files named something like IM031130.DAT or CD045432.DAT, along with two directories, SUMMARY and LISTS. After a week, my drive fills up. I was running Trend. Removed that and installed...
June 17th 08 10:26 PM
by MATT Go to last post
0 151
Unable to open files of different type at the same time by jj14
Hi - I've been using Vista x64 Ultimate for several months and yesterday, upgraded to SP1 (windows update offered it). Now, I've noticed a problem where I cannot open multiple files (using explorer) at the same time if they are of different type. Example 1 : I select a .txt file and a .doc file at the same time (using mouse and ctrl key) - and I hit the enter key. Nothing happens. (if I select...
June 17th 08 10:16 PM
by ssemadeni Go to last post
4 244
How to set default search results columns? by Sean S
Hi all, When performing a search in Vista the results show the (thoroughly confusing and useless) "Folder" column. How can I *permanently* set this to the "Folder path" column. It would also be nice to get rid of the 'Author' and 'Tags' columns. Sean.
June 17th 08 09:41 PM
by Gerry[_6_] Go to last post
4 179
my documents folders by stevemalee
In XP when you clicked on a folder, at the bottom of the left folder list column you would see how many files are in that folder -- ie: "74 objects" I cannot find out how to do this in Vista. Thanks so much for your help --
June 17th 08 04:48 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
3 174
Properties for multiple files by Snowman
Back in good 'ol XP, when you right-click after selecting multiple files, you could go down to "Properties" and see how much space those selected files and folders were taking up. This isn't possible with vista. And there shouldn't be "oh but you need this version of vista" because I have vista ultimate. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the...
June 17th 08 10:35 AM
by Snowman Go to last post
3 207
Cannot find files? by Ernst Guckel
Hello, I have Vista installed on my laptop and when I copy and paste files they vanish?? If I have the same file in a folder it will ask to overwrite and if I say yes it copies the file but then it is gone. It does not happen all the time but quite often. There are no error messages displayed. Its like the file just vanishes... Any ideas??
June 17th 08 12:04 AM
by Dave Go to last post
1 188
Vista Windows Explorer - invalid sorting by Axel Dahmen
Hi, has anyone noticed that Windows 2008/Vista Windows Explorer doesn't sort file entries correctly? This is how it shows 5 entries, sorted by name: 03001A36.HTM 03001A39.HTM 030014D2.HTM 030017F1.HTM 030017F4.HTM
June 16th 08 10:19 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post
5 170
AutoExpand Folder shortcut with 100 files in Folder by rickle
If I right click and drag a folder to the desktop and create a shortcut, when I click on the shortcut the folder will open with folder selected and expanded in the folder pane. but as soon as I get more than 101 files/directories in the folder it will only be selected, not expanded. Where can I change the number of entries allowed before it decides not expand it?
June 16th 08 02:26 PM
by rickle Go to last post
0 146
how to change the image shown on my folder icons? by modu03
you know the images that show up on the folder icon itself. i had a picture showing up on my desktop folder icon, that i don't want displayed on my desktop. so , what i want to know is, how do i specify which image it uses?
June 16th 08 12:23 AM
by modu03 Go to last post
0 157
how to unblock 'encrypt contents to secure data' by trevster20
i want to encrypt a folder but the 'encrypt contents to secure data' isnt highlighted available to select the tick box. Any suggestions on how to be able to select it?
June 15th 08 01:11 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
2 215
Moving User Files to New Drive - Help Please. by Seeks Answers
I have found that moving User Files to my D:\ is a simple process if everything works as expected: "Start - Computer - Right Click documents Folder - Properties - Select Locations Tab, Insert a new location etc." This works fine when it works. What do I do if there is No "Locations Tab"? I have moved many files such as a Users Documents, Pictures, Music etc. However, the odd file will not...
June 14th 08 08:07 PM
by Donald L McDaniel[_5_] Go to last post
3 227
What on earth did you do to windows explorer? by IanInLangley
I've had Vista a few days and I'm shocked at how tough it is to organize files. MS is poor in general at keeping things that work in one piece but this is ridiculous. I've spent hours trying to put program shortcuts into a folder I created in the start menu. To make matters worse explorer doesn't even display a fraction of the shortcuts and folders in the start menu. Why???. Even worse I'm...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
June 14th 08 07:51 PM
by Donald L McDaniel[_5_] Go to last post
18 481
Moving folders with thumbs.db or other system files by Jim Combs
When I move a folder(s) in Vista (Ultimate 32bit and x64) that contains system files such as thumbs.db and choose to have these files moved to the new location along with the other files in the folder, the source folder is not deleted as it should be. An empty folder remains. This occurs as well for any subfolders I might be moving that also contain system files. For example, I move folder...
June 14th 08 10:14 AM
by Jim Combs Go to last post
0 132
Windows Search doesn't work! by tvds
It just doesn't work. I have a simple text file with a certain word in it. I try to find this text file, but vista won't find it. Windows 2000, linked by network, finds it within a second. I have tried all available options. "include non-indexed" "always search file names and contents" "find partial matches" "include subfolders" etc
June 14th 08 03:57 AM
by neuronstorm[_3_] Go to last post
9 230
Deleting files - seems to staul, or get stuck by Argamedius
I have been trying to delete these two files and the one file is like 882 kb, but it shouldn't take that long to get it from the desktop to the garbage bin!! I tried right-mouse clicking and selecting 'delete', I've used the 'delete' button, and even clicking and dragging the damn file over to the bin, but it doesn't work. I don't like files that are 'there' that cannot be deleted! When I do...
June 13th 08 11:16 PM
by Gerry[_6_] Go to last post
1 199
freeing space on my recovery partition and back up answers by Cynthia
Please someone help me. I have tried and tried to back up my files in my recovery partiton for several weeks now every week I back up but I keep getting this ballon that the by disk is full and never freeing any space I can access my recovery to manually remve them every back is sucessfull. I have the knife on my wrist -- Cynthia, Chicago,IL
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
June 13th 08 08:37 AM
by lone star Go to last post
12 388
Windows explorer stopped working by kc
When I try to copy to a folder or move files from one folder to another, I get a message "windows stopped working" followed by "windows is restarting" My step as follows: step1- highlight file, step2 - click "edit", step3 - click "copy to foder" or "move to folder", step4 - select folder to copy or move to. This is when I get the message and windows explorer shuts down and restarts. I've...
June 12th 08 08:33 PM
by kc Go to last post
0 198
Vista Won't Let Me Create XP-Style Directory Tree for Old Template Files by Michael Wyland
To all: I recently upgraded from Windows XP to Vista SP1. I have many years of WP documents using the "Image on Disk" feature to create my company's stationery on the fly without having to store a copy of the logo & graphics in each document. I used WP's default directory structure when storing the images and documents. Under Vista, it appears to be impossible to create the XP-style...
June 12th 08 08:18 PM
by Pete Stavrakoglou Go to last post
6 179
OUTLOOK 2007 LOST FILES AFTER EASY TRANSFER by CharlesO
Hi There, Can anyone assist me? I have just completed the easy transfer of the default files from my old PC to my new PC and I seem to have lost all the new folders and emails in my outlook. These were on the new PC prior to the transfer. Thanks Charles
June 12th 08 03:51 PM
by DL Go to last post

From The