Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Opening word document from Internet Explorer 8 - UAC by Scott Trick
If I click a button on a website that downloads and opens a word document, the word document flashes and does not open. I found that if I turn off UAC this does not happen. My preference would be to change a setting that will fix this and leave UAC on. Please help!
September 3rd 09 02:29 PM
by Scott Trick Go to last post
0 177
Cannot decrypt files when copying them to another location by sunorain
On my PC's HDD I have some files encrypted. Used "folder encryption" that is in one of folder properties selected "Encrypt data..." Folder is shown in green in explorer respectively. In the beginning, when I copied any files from this folder to another location (e.g. USB HDD) files became automatically decrypted, i.e. I could read those files from USB HDD on any other PC. But now something...
September 3rd 09 10:06 AM
by sunorain Go to last post
0 109
local admin on vista by nico[_2_]
How can i grant admin-rights to all my domain users that access vista machine's? For xp i used the restricted group policy, but that doesn't seem to work for vista. Tx N.
September 2nd 09 10:53 AM
by nico[_2_] Go to last post
4 174
formidable malware -- PC_AntiSpyware2010 by NetLink_Blue
Yesterday I managed to infect my Vista Ultimate with a very virulent ( new?) strain of PC_AntiSpyware2010. The battle for control of my computer lasted 5 hours last evening, and a few more hours this morning. I finally threw in the towel today, and re-imaged my Vista partition with a backup (a bit old - but oh well). Thank goodness Acronis 10 came thru for me. The pucker factor was pretty...
September 1st 09 09:47 PM
by NetLink_Blue Go to last post
0 133
local admin on vista by nico[_2_]
How can i grant admin-rights to all my domain users that access vista machine's? For xp i used the restricted group policy, but that doesn't seem to work for vista. Tx N.
September 1st 09 09:43 AM
by nico[_2_] Go to last post
0 147
Parental Controls by Willy
On my PC with Vista Basic I have 2 accounts, 1 being mine as Administrator & the other being for the kids. Both accounts have Password to enter them. In the kids account I go into Control PanelInternet OptionsContentParental Controls, however they show as being off and I can't click none of the options on left side to set them. Do I need to do this under my Admin. account or what? -- Thanks,...
September 1st 09 04:20 AM
by Willy Go to last post
4 192
Time for Microsoft Windows PC's to be blocked from Internet Access by Wintrolls Lie
Following the recent DDOS attacks against twitter, facebook and google from Microsoft Windows botnets isn't it time for Windows to be blocked from any Internet access? Microsoft Windows botnets also spew billions of SPAM email every day. Why should everyone suffer because Microsoft are unable to produce a secure operating system?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
August 29th 09 03:47 PM
by John Slade[_4_] Go to last post
29 507
DEP Turning off for a particular program by Shashi
Greetings and Best wishes, This is my first post in this forum. I use Vista Home premium. my DEP setting is Turn on for all programs except those I select. My querry is-Whenever I go to the folder of a program in "Program Files" folder, I notice that it has numerous folders, and each of these folders have numerous .exe files. Moreover, it is not possible to "Batch Select" all the .exe files in a...
August 29th 09 07:00 AM
by Shashi Go to last post
0 143
Little red x by Ed Ahern
I've been running Vista for about a year. At various times I will open something and it seems that there are "boxes" with red x's and a description. I imagine it is a security thing. Is there someway to shut it off or am I better off leaving it alone. As an example, if I hit the start button and then "help and support" I will get these x's. Ed
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
August 29th 09 02:33 AM
by FromTheRafters[_3_] Go to last post
30 578
spontaneous blue screen/restart/failure cycle by BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH
Sometimes my Windows Vista (home premium) computer suddenly gives me the blue screen and tells me that it is "dumping physical memory" (as well as to run diagnostics). Then, it neither goes back to the normal mode nor restarts. So I am forced to manually shut down the computer (by pushing the power button for five seconds). Of course, I cannot run the diagnostics that the blue screen has...
August 28th 09 07:47 PM
by kr247 Go to last post
2 165
secpol.msc by jake
I know secpol.msc doesn't exist in vista home. My question is, will it work if I copy from vista business to vista home edition. thanks
August 28th 09 01:48 AM
by ArcyQwerty[_2_] Go to last post
6 342
Windows Defender 0x800106ba by Sven Pran
My daughter suddenly experiences: Windows Defender: "Error Code 0x800106ba Application failed to initialize" This is a fairly new machine (running Vista Home Premium) and it was delivered with McAfee virus protection installed. The initial McAfee license is about to expire so she renewed that license for a permanent licence today. There may of course be a connection here, but I fail to see...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
August 27th 09 07:03 PM
by MowGreen Go to last post
42 1,377
little red x's by Ed Ahern
I have been running Vista for a while and I cannot solve this problem. I will open something and get little boxes with red x's and a description. It is probably a security setting somewhere, but where? As an example if I hit the start button, then "help and support" I get boxes with little red x's. I am sorry if my description is too amateurish but that is what I am Ed
August 27th 09 03:30 AM
by Ed Ahern Go to last post
4 246
little red x's by Ed Ahern
I have been running Vista for a while and I cannot solve this problem. I will open something and get little boxes with red x's and a description. It is probably a security setting somewhere, but where? As an example if I hit the start button, then "help and support" I get boxes with little red x's. I am sorry if my description is too amateurish but that is what I am Ed
August 27th 09 02:37 AM
by Ed Ahern Go to last post
0 123
Little red x by Ed Ahern
I've been running Vista for about a year. At various times I will open something and it seems that there are "boxes" with red x's and a description. I imagine it is a security thing. Is there someway to shut it off or am I better off leaving it alone. As an example, if I hit the start button and then "help and support" I will get these x's. Ed
August 27th 09 02:29 AM
by Ed Ahern Go to last post
0 120
Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 10.1 client and server for vista by duongthienson
Hello everybody, I have a problem about NAV in my company about symantect, Please help me solute it. Many thanks Now our system using Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 10.2 client and server. NAV Server setup in to Window Sever 2003. And nearly all of client using windows XP. Untill now the symantec run ok, But now we have some client setup window vista ultimate. I setup Symantec AntiVirus...
August 26th 09 12:21 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
1 116
Elevated process can't write to %temp% - access denied ? by Vilius Mockûnas
Hi, If I try to copy file to %temp% using elevated command prompt I get "access denied".(UAC is on) What exactly is happening ? What part of UAC prevents writing there ? thanks Vilius
August 25th 09 10:14 PM
by Badger[_3_] Go to last post
2 179
Stripped attachments by chico905
attachments from a specific computer email address (XP using Outlook) into another computer using windows mail (vista) are stripped. Same attachment from same specific computer using another email address (such as gmail)is received correctly. Also attachment sent from and to same vista computer are received ok. I cannot find which security switch may be causing the problem .... -- chico905
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
August 25th 09 06:55 AM
by Gordon[_9_] Go to last post
10 334
Elevated process can't write to %temp% - access denied ? by Vilius Mockûnas
Hi, If I try to copy file to %temp% using elevated command prompt I get "access denied".(UAC is on) What exactly is happening ? What part of UAC prevents writing there ? thanks Vilius
August 25th 09 04:48 AM
by Vilius Mockûnas Go to last post
0 191
Avast/AVG Free plus Defender adequate? by kplumm
I am considering uninstalling the 90-day Norton trial that came with my new Vista-equipped Toshiba laptop. I had AVG, the free one, on my XP machine, and have heard about Avast. I don't want to be more worried than I need to be about viruses; would the free version of AVG, or Avast Home Edition and, if necessary, the Windows Defender and/ or Firewall be enough, or more than enough, in place of...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
August 23rd 09 10:47 PM
by Bill Daggett Go to last post
22 1,296