A quick movie for Vista users! So funny!

Old February 12th 07, 05:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Ted Landry

Default A quick movie for Vista users! So funny!

Adam Albright wrote:

Its pretty obvious from all the moronic posts from Mac freaks that
obviously few if any of you do any serious work on your computer or
you wouldn't have time to troll a Windows help newsgroup.

I did a quick check in my field of interest, video editing.

OSX offers Final Cut Pro and a few Mickey Mouse offerings. Adobe
announced recently it no longer will support the Mac platform with its
popular video editor.

Adobe video products were pushed off the Mac platform years ago. They
just couldn't compete against Final Cut Pro. If Apple released a Windows
version of FCP, Adobe would extract themselves from that market as well.

Windows offers many professional level applications including what
most of the big boys in Hollywood use; AVID*

Yes, AVID is a large "expensive" player, but AVID has been struggling
for years as well, Final Cut Pro owns most of the Hollywood market now,
so AVID has become an increasing bit player, relegated to broadcast and
other minor markets.

*Avid Technology, Inc. is the world leader in digital nonlinear media
creation, management and distribution solutions, enabling film, video,
audio, animation, games, and broadcast news professionals.

Another popular offering from Sony, called Vegas, is also only
available on the Windows platform.

Yes, but Vegas is Mickey Mouse compared to Final Cut Pro.

So your claim there are 14,000 apps, seems bogus, unless you count
games. LOL!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...iting_software

Apple has fewer, but better software, so you can live a mediocre life,
or enjoy the best, it's your choice.

Now just to rub your nose in the dirt I looked on the Mac page. Their
top of the line "system" seems to be the Quad Core which would set me
back $2500 plus shipping and tax, no monitor! It shows it has a "big"
hard drive of 250GB. LOL! Well, I have 2 TB.

2TB is tiny for video in this day and age... the Mac Pro supports 3TB
internally without breaking a sweat. Apple provides a 250GB boot drive
but they don't try and dictate what you "should have", so they give you
a starter drive and allow you to easily add as much as you want. Plus it
has several firewire ports, allowing petabytes if you want.

Shipping is free... and you are looking at "full retail", not what it
actually costs. Currently they go for $2299, free ship, no tax.

Then there is Final Cut
Pro. I'd need that at minimum to replace just Vegas, that cost another
$1,300

No, no, no... don't be dumb. Final Cut goes for around $480, but that's
too much horse power for you if you are still using Vegas. You would be
hard pressed to max out Final Cut Express which goes for around $240.

and I didn't even replace my 24 inch 1920x1200 HD monitor from
Dell that cost about $800

Use the Dell monitor, nothing is stopping you...

and the Apple version costs more or just to
add a convertor to use my current monitor would set me back another
$100.

You don't need a converter... what dell monitor do you have? If it's VGA
or DVI it will work fine with the MacPro.

Even if I got the cheaper Mac "Pro" that TOY only comes with a
17 inch monitor as a "system" that runs at maximum at a lower
resolution then I already have and comes with a toy drive of just
160GB yet it costs $2800 or nearly three times what my PC system does

Yes, but your PC is not a high end device. It's a kludge. I ask you, is
your PC silent? Nope! Does your PC have has as much expansion? Nope! As
many features as the MacPro? Nope. Does it hold it's value as well 4-7
years from now? Nope!

You are using a Ford, and trying to explain why it's not as expensive as
a Volvo. You are simply not understanding you get more with a Mac, much
more, but since you only know PCs you don't understand the high end of
the PC market.

that has both far more hard drive capacity

Nope, it has 1TB less internally... and FAR FAR less externally.

and a more beefy video
card.

Doesn't really matter for video now does it? If you are a game player
yes, but for Video, no.

In the present configuration I can add a 1 TB hard drive to the
IDE channel, I have six more SATA channels that's another 6 TB, plus I
could add another SATA controller as a external card or another IDE
car and expand way beyond that. Can a Mac? No, apparently it tops out
at 3 TB.

Yes, and you can do that with the MacPro as well.

Can you Mac Freaks do simple math? You're really taking a DOWNGRADE
and paying triple the price!

No. You are just poorly educated about computing, you don't understand
what "professionals" use. You are coming from the angle of an amateur.
Now, I don't fault you for that, but the MacPro is a "professional"
level machine, your PC running "Vegas", is not.

Just to switch I would need to spend upwards of $6,000 to "replace" a
system I build for $830 which includes the MB, 1 GB memory and
graphics card + $800 for the monitor and another $700 for the drives
plus toss out thousands of dollars worth of Windows software. I used a
case, keyboard, power supply and trackball I had. So even adding that
in, I'm still way ahead of the game in out of pocket expenses. So you
idiots screaming get a Mac are basically full of it since it isn't a
practical solution for a lot of people. Why don't you get a life?

Your numbers are way off, to Switch it would cost you around $2,600 AND
you'd have a much faster machine, better compatibility with Video
professionals, have better resell value in 4-7 years, plus you'd enjoy
computing a lot more.

But sorry, it doesn't appear you are of the caliber to own a Mac quite
yet. Maybe someday, but not yet.
Old February 12th 07, 05:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Ted Landry

"Richard Urban" wrote:

I top post. You don't like it - don't read it.

and you are posting incorrectly on Usenet. everyone is laughing at you
for top posting, but you just don't know it... the classic illustration
of what you are doing wrong is he can you figure it out?

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
Old February 12th 07, 05:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Richard Urban

Now, why would I want to post your crap again - on top of mine? You're the
interloper here, remember.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

"Ted Landry" wrote in message
"Richard Urban" wrote:

I top post. You don't like it - don't read it.

and you are posting incorrectly on Usenet. everyone is laughing at you
for top posting, but you just don't know it... the classic illustration
of what you are doing wrong is he can you figure it out?

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old February 12th 07, 06:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Ted Landry

Scott wrote:

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

that's a classic insider quote. love it!

just hope the newbies that still top-post, and then get upset if you try
and correct them will figure it out... probably not.

"oldbies" in the microsoft* newsgroups do it constantly and many get
****ed off when they read my sig.....

yeah, much of it is because they are still clinging to outlook as their
email program and microsoft choose the wrong default behavior for
newsgroups in outlook so they don't understand they are doing it wrong.

it's just another inept mistake by microsoft that ruins how a system
should work. for "email" top posting makes sense... since you are
usually dealing with only one author... but when you get into "groups",
you have to bottom post or it doesn't work.

so sad, ms is making fools of these newbies
Old February 12th 07, 06:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Michael Jennings

"Ted Landry" wrote in message ...
"Shane Nokes" wrote:

Actually Jim didn't state that, but that's ok because Mac users can't
actually read

Perhaps if you did your research you would find out what he actually said
and how that was only part of a sentence pulled out of context

Trust me I know Jim personally and that's not his view.

Yes, Jim did state that, the "direct quote" from the transcript is:

"I would buy a Mac today if I was not working at Microsoft."

the full transcript is he

At least he is retiring, so he'll finally be able to move up to a Mac
once he leaves. (probably one of the main reasons TO retire

The "direct quote" from the transcript is Richard Hagstrom, counsel for
plaintiff, making a statement about Exhibit 7264 - the Allchin email.
What is at your link is not the email, but the words of a lawyer arguing
against Microsoft - his selective quoting from Allchin's email.

At the link you furnished, Allchin *is* quoted directly as saying this:
"Taken out of context, this comment could be confusing. Let me set
the record straight: This email is nearly 3 years old, and I was being
purposefully dramatic in order to drive home a point. The point being
that we needed to change and change quickly. We did."

In order to appear to be truthful, I think you should try harder to avoid
loose speech in your evangelizing - if there is no full transcript you should
not state, "the full transcript is he" People might check.

Old February 12th 07, 07:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Ted Landry

"Michael Jennings" wrote:

At least he is retiring, so he'll finally be able to move up to a Mac
once he leaves. (probably one of the main reasons TO retire

The "direct quote" from the transcript is Richard Hagstrom, counsel for
plaintiff, making a statement about Exhibit 7264 - the Allchin email.
What is at your link is not the email, but the words of a lawyer arguing
against Microsoft - his selective quoting from Allchin's email.

Don't try and twist things. the ACTUAL quote is:

"I would buy a Mac today if I was not working at Microsoft"

read it again, right from the transcript if you are unable to decipher
the original link.

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/m...ves/110354.asp

At the link you furnished, Allchin *is* quoted directly as saying this:
"Taken out of context, this comment could be confusing. Let me set
the record straight: This email is nearly 3 years old, and I was being
purposefully dramatic in order to drive home a point. The point being
that we needed to change and change quickly. We did."

yes, and in that 3 years, Apple has become even stronger in comparison
to Window's Vista. MS is at a standstill, so everything in the OS world
points more and more to OSX as being the one Jim Allchin would purchase
today. MS has become the IBM of the late 70's, they are gridlocked and
cannot produce winning products for marketplace.

In order to appear to be truthful, I think you should try harder to avoid
loose speech in your evangelizing - if there is no full transcript you should
not state, "the full transcript is he" People might check.

I just use Facts, while you seem to be unable to state your case without
understanding what was actually said. So sad.
Old February 12th 07, 08:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Hertz_Donut

"Ted Landry" wrote in message
A classic clip showing what Vista users must deal with...

http://snipurl.com/19r0y

If they would just wisen up and get a Mac, the world would be a happier
place!

http://www.apple.com/hardware/
http://www.apple.com/software/

At this point, it's clear Microsoft will never catch up with OSX.

MACS are for elitist brain-dead snobs that can't figure out that they are
using a platform with barely no support from anyone but Apple.

If everyone used a MAC, we'd still be stuck in 1979.

Honu

Old February 12th 07, 08:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Hertz_Donut

"Ted Landry" wrote in message
"Tom Willett" wrote:

Macs are glorified Fisher-Price activity centers for adults; computers
for
scaredy cats too nervous to learn how proper computers work; computers
for
people who earnestly believe in feng shui.

In actually, it's the tool heavy computer users use. It's the power
house of Personal Computing, only the uneducated use Windows at this
point in the game. Unix is where all the smart people go when they want
the best, that's why OSX is the most popular Unix worldwide.

People like Bill Joy, who created Java, use Macs exclusively. Tim
Berners Lee that created the World Wide Web, another Mac only person.
Larry Ellison, CEO of the 2nd largest software firm has over 16 Macs in
daily use.

Even the Number 3 man at Microsoft, Jim Allchin recently stated:

"I'd buy a Mac if i didn't work for Microsoft" ///

Quoted out of context...he was joking, but then MAC users have no sense of
humor and therefore cannot discern when someone is telling a joke.

MACs are for adolescent snobs that like to claim they are better than anyone
else because they use a glorified etch-a-sketch.

Honu

Old February 12th 07, 09:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Roy Coorne

"Hertz_Donut" wrote in message

"Ted Landry" wrote in message
A classic clip showing what Vista users must deal with...

http://snipurl.com/19r0y

If they would just wisen up and get a Mac, the world would be a
happier
place!

http://www.apple.com/hardware/
http://www.apple.com/software/

At this point, it's clear Microsoft will never catch up with OSX.

MACS are for elitist brain-dead snobs that can't figure out that
they are using a platform with barely no support from anyone but
Apple.

If everyone used a MAC, we'd still be stuck in 1979.

Honu

Wake up, Honu!

The situation has changed fundamentally since SJ switched to Intel,
see, e. g.

http://screen-online.de/blog/archives/000475.php

Roy

Old February 12th 07, 09:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Peter Hayes

Ted Landry wrote:

"Shane Nokes" wrote:

Actually Jim didn't state that, but that's ok because Mac users can't
actually read

Perhaps if you did your research you would find out what he actually said
and how that was only part of a sentence pulled out of context

Trust me I know Jim personally and that's not his view.

Yes, Jim did state that, the "direct quote" from the transcript is:

"I would buy a Mac today if I was not working at Microsoft."

the full transcript is he

"Top Microsoft executives Brian Valentine and Jim Allchin in January of
2000 issue the following order to employees to delete all E-mail from
their computers after 30 days."

This could well explain much of why Microsoft is such a shambles
organisationally, and which is reflected in their products.

--

Immunity is better than innoculation.

Peter