Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
WindowsSearch.exe by Nick72d
Hi! I'm using build 5600 (RC1) and have a huge problem with the WindowsSearch process (Windows Desktop Search Tool Try Admin). The thing is that it continues reloading it self every 3. second, so it's impossible to work normally on the computer (the keyboard and the mouse loses focus). I have tried several things like to disable the Windows Search service and the indexing of the filesystem,...
October 24th 06 05:19 PM
by inafix Go to last post
4 411
Unexpected AC Power Loss by Ryan Carmichael
Hello - At random times during my computers opperation, my whole computer suddenly seems to loose its AC Power. This only started occuring after installing Vista. It then has much trouble turning back on - as it keeps doing the same thing many times, until finnally it boots correctly, also showing the "safe mode" options. Can anyone please help? Thankyou, Ryan
October 23rd 06 10:22 PM
by Franky Go to last post
4 399
All Exe files are associated with Windows Media Center by C2Ranches
Got one here for everyone to puzzle on. All my executable files are associated with Windows Media center. And I mean all. I try to personalize my settings, windows media center opens, I try to go to windows updates and recieve this prompt: A website wants to open web content using this program on you computer. Media Center Allow or do not allow. The only thing that I can do is Internet...
October 23rd 06 06:16 PM
by C2Ranches Go to last post
0 404
Indexing flashing (versiion RC1 build 5600) by inafix
My indexing icon in the start menu is flashing and it affects everything. I cannot type or run most programs. It says it is idling. I cant change it when I right click it because it turns the option bos off before i can get to it. I turned off in the control panel and it still flashes on and off. Please help! Thank you
October 23rd 06 03:12 PM
by inafix Go to last post
1 378
Control Click When Highlighting by Pol
When using IE 6 it was possible to have a web page opened and with the use of the control key, to highlight ramdom text and then copy elsewhere. Now, when trying to do this it simply opens another tab. I have looked at the tab options but this does not get round the above problem. I think that users will find this very confusing when firstly using Vista and also when simply trying to find...
October 23rd 06 11:22 AM
by Pol Go to last post
0 380
Expert Backup interface? by Testin 1,2,3
How do you get to the File and Folder Backup Wiazrd they talk about in HELP "Mark D. VandenBerg" wrote: You can probably use the "File and Folder Backup Wizard" to back up the contents of any additional drive you may have in your computer. -- Mark
October 23rd 06 09:29 AM
by x-ray Go to last post
2 379
Google Earth by Goop9
Someone please help! I'm running Vista build 5744 and trying to run Google Earth. Every time I try to start it, it gives me a message, "Google Earth has encountered a problem and must close" or something like that. If anyone has gotten it to work, PLEASE tell me how and what to do!
October 23rd 06 05:13 AM
by Goop9 Go to last post
4 364
Fastest performance, best value? by Brossyg
I am currently running XP Pro 32-bit with a 3 gig Pentium 4 with 1 gig of RAM in a SOHO environment. My most taxing app is MS Access running a 250 meg database with lots of bells & whistles. The database regularly uses 100+% of my CPU. The rest of the apps are pretty standard Office apps. I rip CDs often with Win Media Player 11, which uses 100+% of my CPU. I would describe myself as a...
October 23rd 06 04:09 AM
by skon Go to last post
6 344
PROBLEM SOVED - Runtime Error 217 by elinden111
All, Here's one we can scratch off the list... The Runtime Error 217 at XXXXX error received when closing IE7 was caused by an incompatible add-on, specifically the Shockwave browser object. Disabling that in the Manage Add-Ons menu solved my problem. Of course now, pages do not display Shockwave content...but 1 thing at a
October 23rd 06 02:08 AM
by elinden111 Go to last post
0 357
Complete PC Restore by Linear2202
Anyone tried to use this? I did a successful complete PC backup. I then tried to restore by pressing F8 before boot, but I saw no menu item that allowed me to enter the system restore menu. Three boot choices of safe mode, and then other choices that didn't help me at all. I'm using RC2. Any thoughts anyone? Thank you.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 22nd 06 07:44 PM
by Gene Fitz Go to last post
11 516
Vista IE7 RC2 Query? by David
Hi I have just installed Vista RC2 and unlike previous releases/builds including RC1, when I launch IE7, it opens in the 'minimized' window and with previous builds, once I 'maximized' it, then next time IE7 would open maximized, but it now always opens 'minimized'. Why? Is there a way to get IE7 to start 'maximized' or is it a bug in RC2?
October 22nd 06 03:02 AM
by PaulB Go to last post
1 394
Two SATA drive optimal configuration by Dave Nuttall
I've been trying to figure out the optimal way to use the two drives in my system (currently one for XP and one for Vista ) after I make the move to Vista full-time. The main interactive use of the system is video editing and DVD production. The rest of the time it is a file and print server to the household (three laptops and three TiVo's). The mix of files on the system is video (average...
October 21st 06 11:19 PM
by Mills Architect Go to last post
1 397
Can't install latest Excel 2003 security update on Vista by Nick Payne
I can't get the latest security update for Excel 2003 (KB923088) to install on Vista RC2. All the other patches that were just released for Office 2003 install fine, but not this one. After it failed the first time I rebooted and tried again as the first action after logging in, but got the same error. An XP/Office2003 workstation getting its updates off the same WSUS server can install the...
October 21st 06 11:08 PM
by JJ Go to last post
3 322
Slow by Stuart Nathan
Vista RC1 Build 5600 4 hours 43mins to finish unzipping WPFSamples.zip??? I have a 2.4GHz Celeron and 1.25Gb Ram 54GB free on hard drive
October 21st 06 06:57 PM
by Keith Go to last post
1 517
4 1/2 minute boot by dale
Long boot delay.TCPIP.sys and USBSTOR.sys. System takes 4 1/2 minutes to boot! My flash drive works, and I have internet. Supposedly they are Microsoft drivers. A8n32sli amd 64x2 2gb 80g sata raid 0 atix1900 Perofomance rating is 3, and everything works,exept for booot time. I searched and found no returns. Dale.
October 21st 06 01:58 AM
by Arge Go to last post
3 412
Suggestions for ReadyBoost stability? by CoreyH
I have a SanDisk Cruzer Titanium 2GB drive, running on a P4 extreme 3.2 w/ 2 GB system RAM. I'm running RC2, build 5744. ReadyBoost worked smootly when I plugged the drive in, I used the default 1840 MB suggested cache drive size, the ReadyBoost.sfcache file gets created, I see the file there, but then, anywhere from 1 minute to 6 hours, the file disappears. I don't see anything in the...
October 19th 06 05:56 PM
by MICHAEL Go to last post
5 416
Suggestions for ReadyBoost stability? by CoreyH
I have a SanDisk Cruzer Titanium 2GB drive, running on a P4 extreme 3.2 w/ 2 GB system RAM. I'm running RC2, build 5744. ReadyBoost worked smootly when I plugged the drive in, I used the default 1840 MB suggested cache drive size, the ReadyBoost.sfcache file gets created, I see the file there, but then, anywhere from 1 minute to 6 hours, the file disappears. I don't see anything in the...
October 19th 06 01:59 PM
by CoreyH Go to last post
6 350
Deleting Files Take Forever by Chris
sometimes when I need to delete a bunch of files the system just kinda hangs there. For example, when I had to delete windows.old directory, after finally figuring out how, the system just sat there for about 5 minutes before it even began deleting the files. Why does it seems to take longer to delete files than it did in XP?
October 19th 06 08:26 AM
by Stuart Nathan Go to last post
4 367
RC2 Perf with modest system hardware by RobertLane
I have an AMD Athlon 2000 Plus (1.66mhz), 1 gig RAM, standard IDE HDs 4 year old MOBO - my perf score is 2.6. The machine performance so far seems comperable to XP Pro on this same hardware. Even with the new windows transisitions and animations the screen is crisp and responsive. I do have an above average nVideo video card. My previsous Network host name resolution problem with RC1 has...
October 19th 06 07:15 AM
by chihs Go to last post
1 425
Windows mobile device center beta v2 by eexportc
This update downloads, but won't install?? I'm using RC1 Build 5384
October 19th 06 07:09 AM
by eexportc Go to last post

From The