Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Backup to CD-RW not allowed in Vista RC1? by alexander750
I attempted to do a full system backup for the first time with Vista's built-in Backup and Recovery Wizard. Upon starting, the wizard correctly found my backup device (a Lite-On combo DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive at E:) but insisted that I back up to DVDs--which this drive cannot write! When I attempted to use a CD-RW anyway, the wizard refused to continue, citing "too little space on selected...
November 7th 06 11:34 PM
by Jeff Go to last post
9 173
Restore WAB from XP Express to Vista Windows by CharlieO
My Build number is 5600, RC1 from DVD. 1 Used onecare to backup 'data' files on XP. 2 Installed Vista fresh. Actually dual partitioned XP and Vista, both fresh. 3 Restored onecare XP backup to Vista, using the alternate files, because XP file names did not exist on Vista. 4 Tried importing into Windows mail, the XP Outlook Express WAB files and they did not take. 5. Also there are other...
November 7th 06 05:35 PM
by CharlieO Go to last post
0 235
can{t restore by Papov
By mistake,I associate executable files with windows media center. Now, every time I start a program,WMC starts. How can I restore this . Thanks.
November 7th 06 05:24 PM
by CharlieO Go to last post
1 413
Restore Drive by Mike G
I used the Vista "Complete PC Backup" to create an image on a USB attached drive. When I try to use Restore to "clone the drive" to a larger drive Vista can't seem to find any backup images, even with the original C drive in the system right after performing the backup. Suggestions or fixes?
November 7th 06 03:58 PM
by Mike G Go to last post
0 257
vssadmin difference between files by murali
hi, Im interest to know files added by my installer in drive c:\. Is it possible to get using vssadmin.exe ? or any other tools are ther for doing so in VISTA ?
November 7th 06 11:09 AM
by murali Go to last post
0 193
Classic Theme BUG!!! by Sway
Step 1: change Theme to Windows Classic. Step 2: disable wallpaper (if necessary). Step 3: change desktop background to BLACK (if necessary). Step 4: Right-click on desktop. Now you'll see the right-click menu is missing. This does not happen to Windows Vista Theme or Windows Standard Theme. I have screen shots but not allowed to post here.
November 7th 06 08:09 AM
by SpeedKing Go to last post
1 207
Windows Vista Explorer Crashes by Dominique
Well the title kind of says it all. I have RC1 and explorer always crashes no matter what I try to view in my folders or trying to use windows update or control panel. Has anyone with this problem actually solved it yet?
November 6th 06 10:03 PM
by Dominique Go to last post
0 233
defragmenting by chucker
i would like to see like a detail and progress bar when defragmenting like you see on all the other operating systems. if im not checking a box or something to be able to get what i wanting please let me know. so far ive not been able to find any solution to this. please help thanks.
November 6th 06 10:00 PM
by Jeff Go to last post
9 400
Memory Diagnostic Tool on Vista RC1 by G.J Smith
Just wondering if anyone has any feedback on the Memory Diagnostic Tool on the RC1 5600 build.......I am receiving an message that there is an error in the memory of my PC.....I've never had any problems with performance prior to using RC1...and I can't find any problems myself and I don't see any deterioration in performance? -- GJS
November 6th 06 09:46 AM
by G.J Smith Go to last post
2 227
Error 80245003 by Will
Hello- I am testing Vista RC1 on a new machine I set up to test it on and am having no luck in using any sort of windows update functionality. I click to get updates and it checks for a minute or two then pops up that Windows could not search for new updates with an error of 80245003. I followed help links to set IE to auto detect settings on the LAN but that didnt work. In addition, on my...
November 5th 06 08:18 PM
by jwardl Go to last post
1 352
Change font size (DPI) by jesusg
I've changed font size to a more readable (104 DPI or 110 DPI), and text looks wonderful, but some taskbar icons are displayed with a niticeable loose of quality. Is this the right behavior? I'm using a 1440x900 display. TIA --
November 5th 06 05:29 PM
by jesusg Go to last post
0 228
Disabling hibernation by Luckyluke
Hello, I tried to disable hibernation in the power savings plan, but after reboot Vista (RC2) refuses to let me remove the hiberfil.sys. Thanks for helping
November 5th 06 01:47 AM
by Joe Nino-Hernes Go to last post
7 217
Changing swapfile size by Luckyluke
Hello, Did anyone tried to define a fixed size swap file ? I did, everything looks OK, size is correct in registry, but after reboot, Vista keeps creating a 1GB swap file when I am asking for 512MB. Thanks for helping PS: I have 512 MB RAM
November 4th 06 01:38 PM
by Nero Go to last post
5 175
Services by tron
Does anyone have a list of services i can saftley disable to boost my perf. a little?
November 4th 06 01:20 PM
by BillD Go to last post
2 234
Mystery file being written at almost 6MB/sec by Roof Fiddler
Image "System", PID 4, is writing to file "C:\System Volume Information\{7920ac3e-6af2-...}{3808876b-c176...}" (ellipses because the actual file name is way too long to bother manually transcribing here, and Windows is too lame to let me actually copy and paste the filename from Reliability and Performance Monitor) at 350MB/min, and thereby saturating the disk with I/O so that anything else I...
November 3rd 06 07:03 PM
by Peter Go to last post
1 378
Vista is as vulnerable as ever to third party device driver bugs by Roof Fiddler
I saw some Channel 9 interviews with Vista programmers who were proud of the new I/O cancellation features in Vista. So why is Windows still refusing to close a non-responsive task in task manager when I tell it to? The program is a video capture tool written by Sony, to capture video streamed over USB from my Sony camcorder. It talks to a device driver which was also written by Sony. While...
November 3rd 06 05:39 PM
by Roof Fiddler Go to last post
0 340
Task Scheduler Error message/cannot run by James Welch
For some reason I cannot open Task Scheduler. When I try to open it says "Task Scheduler service not running. Verify that the service is running." In services.msc it says that it is "started". I would stop and restart it but the options are greyed out. Get an error messenge where I try to stop it via Task Manager services tab. I have tried net start "task scheduler" in cmd.exe but everytime...
November 3rd 06 04:18 PM
by James Welch Go to last post
0 351
Vista is slower than XP by Spirefm
Moving a 1Gb file from 1 folder to another takes about 1 minute on my machine with RC1. My pc experience index is 5.0. I'm sure this is much slower than with XP Home on the same machine. This is after 2 days with RC1. Is there something going on in the background that doesn't show in Task Manager? Colin
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 2nd 06 08:58 PM
by Go to last post
11 479
Performance Manager and ATI 1300 by johncon
I had previously installed RC1, no problems and Vista gave my overall system performance, based on the lowest component, my ATI 1300 512 mb, a 4. ok no problem here. I can live with that. I tinker with my system later, reformat a hard drive and do a fresh install of RC2 with the windows driver. Now it rates it a 3.8?! hmm.. Go to ATI and download the latest Vista driver, the same one I used...
November 2nd 06 08:56 PM
by Go to last post
4 383
send receive in vista by Nero
Do you use a dial up modem, adsl modem, or adsl modem router? To use fax on a pc you have to have a 56k modem connected. Fax cannot be sent via broadband. "y4me" wrote in message ... For some reason my fax does not receive, any idea? it sends but need to be restarted evry time Need help, thanks
November 2nd 06 03:17 PM
by Nero Go to last post

From The