Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Virtual PC 2007 - XP as guest and Vista as host by Jez
Just started trying virtual PC 2007. Host is Vista Business. Guest is XP Pro. Do need to install antivirus or internet security software on both OS? Usually, it's one PC, one license. Does it means one or two antivirus/internet security license(s) in this case? Can I use Free AVG on XP and Norton on Vista? Will Windows defender/Windows firewall help? Do I need to switch these on too? Appreciate...
September 16th 07 09:03 PM
by Bruce Chambers Go to last post
6 283
Security Center suddenly reports no antivirus or firewall by Amanda
I have AVG Internet security suite and Vista Ultimate 32 bit. They have been working perfectly together until the last few days. Suddenly Security Center reports I have no anti virus program or firewall. AVG sent me a file they said MIGHT fix it (they said the problem was with Vista but did not specify what the problem was) but vista won't let me run the file, blocks it. I don't have paid...
September 16th 07 03:12 PM
by Kyle Go to last post
7 181
run time error "75" - Path/File access error by aa[_2_]
I have an aplication program which works with a web-camera which works fine on w2k and XP. It installed normally on Vista and on plugging the camera Vista detected it coprrectly (including the model of the camera) and completed the installation saying that the camera installed successfully and ready for work. However an attempt to tun the application resulted in a run time error "75" -...
September 16th 07 01:47 PM
by Meinolf Weber Go to last post
3 184
SQLExpress New DB by Paul W Smith
I do understand that any assistance I get from this form is given purely on a volutary basis. I am not sure why you thought otherwise but I am happy to acknowledge the above fact. I also am unsure why you think I am trying to get a 'third' party product to work. All I am try to do is to get my free copy of SQL Express to work on my VISTA system. The problem I have got is that I have...
September 16th 07 08:42 AM
by Paul W Smith Go to last post
2 195
Windows defender not recognising AVG by fuzzball
My friends computer she runs AVG the free version she also has Vista installed and Windows Defender is switching itself off and saying her computer is not covered by an anti virus. It has also stopped her accessing the internet hence my email for help on what she should do next. AVG is saying her computer is covered.
September 16th 07 04:50 AM
by Fu Q Go to last post
3 157
Cannot access encrypted files in Vista by T
I recently encrypted a bunch of files in Vista by right clicking on the foler, properties,advanced, then checking the encryption option. I no longer can access these files, the files names are showing up green which mean they are encrypted i try to open it and i get the following message: Encrypting File System You are encrypting a file or trying to access an encrypted file using a smart...
September 16th 07 02:42 AM
by T Go to last post
0 148
Disable admin approval mode in Vista home premium by tbrox
My new computer came with Vista home premium and all I want to do is get into some folders that I'm locked out of even though I'm set to admin. It seems Admin doesn't mean what it use to in Vista. I have found instructions to use secpol.msc but that policy doesn't exist in the home version. I desprately need a hack or someway to disable the admin approval mode. I sure hope someone has a...
September 16th 07 01:13 AM
by Malke Go to last post
7 151
Restore files in Vista after a re-installation by Ole Vik
I have Vista Home Premium, and used the backup utility to make a file backup to an external harddrive (via network share i.e \\NAS\backup). Restore from this location worked like a charm, until i had to do a re-installation of the OS. Now, when i try to restore via the "backup made on another computer" option..the backup sets cant be found. I can browse to the share, i see the folders and...
September 15th 07 06:06 PM
by Randy McClellan[_2_] Go to last post
5 147
access denied in vista 64 bit by oldpaint
Apparently I, logged in as administrator don't have the authority to copy and paste files from one hard drive to another locally on my computer. I have a dual boot system with vista home premium 64 on c: and xp home on E: and I use D: for data files. I have 3 wd raptors in a raid 0 array partitioned roughly in half with vista on one and xp on the other and a separate hd for the data. Vista...
September 15th 07 06:02 AM
by oldpaint Go to last post
0 162
Windows Update doesn't notify Standard User of new updates by Patsachol
I am running Home Premium as a Standard User, and have set Windows Update to "check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them" I have found that Windows Update does automatically check for updates, but it doesn't notify me of new updates as it does when I am logged in as an Administrator. I would like to know if this behavior is by design, and if not, what do I need...
September 15th 07 04:34 AM
by Patsachol Go to last post
0 135
How will corporate permissions affect my Vista Ultimate at home? by Mike Hall
I have VPN access so I can connect with our corporate network from home. Problem is that there is no ability to connect my computer to a domain in Windows Vista Home Premium (or XP Home Edition). I am thinking of upgrading to Vista Ultimate, but they have tightened many permissions at work to block us from installing any software or getting into 'system' areas, and I was wondering what...
September 15th 07 02:28 AM
by Mike Hall[_2_] Go to last post
4 154
Boycott Vista by x1a4
http://badvista.fsf.org/ “Vista is an upsell masquerading as an upgrade. It is an overall regression when you look at the most important aspect of owning and using a computer: your control over what it does. Obviously MS Windows is already proprietary and very restrictive, and *well worth rejecting*. But the new *'features' in Vista are a Trojan Horse* to smuggle in even more restrictions....
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
September 14th 07 10:15 PM
by Paul Vincent Go to last post
21 633
Receiving notice for a specific Update...but which I do...NOT want to be downloaded+installed!! by Philippe - Swiss
Hello, My problem is that I'm receiving a "recommended" Update to be installed ....but which I "refuse" now to be downloaded+installed, since it always used to fail to be installed successfully after every reboot of my PC (!). Hence, my setting is now at Security Center as follows: "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them". But I really would like be able to...
September 14th 07 03:09 PM
by Philippe - Swiss Go to last post
4 152
Logging in as administrator by Sarah
My MSN messenger went down saying that it was out of date. To it get the new verson I have to be the local administrator. I am the only user on this computer so I am the administrator. Have seen by other posts that suggest that I am a super user. Cannot find anywhere how to log on as administrator when there is one account. Any help would be appreciated. The operating system is VISTA.
September 14th 07 02:30 PM
by Jesper Go to last post
2 287
a dumb question: on-screen keyboard... by David
would using an onscreen keyboard to type in passwords when on a wifi hotspot avoid capture by keylogging programs? reason i ask, i was just reading a Norton email about password security and they mentioned that one shouldn't log in to a bank site when on those hotspots due to possible key loggers. Dave
September 14th 07 03:33 AM
by David Go to last post
3 154
DPS keeps shutting down my sidebar by Angelique
DPS "shuts down" my sidebar every time I try to download a new gadget. This problem started suddenly and for no apparent reason. I put "shuts down" in quotes because the sidebar actually keeps running. It just won't add a new gadget.
September 14th 07 03:08 AM
by Angelique Go to last post
0 143
login in by Jeffrox
k im very comfused here...before, when i would turn my laptop on, it would ask for my password, now it doesn't. im very concern about this, i dont want anyone gettin a hold of my latop and just be able to use it. i had gone through my user account and it say that it is password protected. how can i get that option back to where it ask for a password when i turn my laptop on? please help
September 13th 07 08:02 PM
by Jeffrox Go to last post
4 362
Administrator Rights Usurped? by Jerry/Kathy
When I set up my laptop (Vista Business) I thought I went through all the proper steps in answering the questions it asked in setting me up as administrator. However, when I tried to load some camera software, the software stopped and said only the admin. could load. I tried many things to no avail. I then cancelled out my original user set-up and created another making sure it was set up...
September 13th 07 01:14 AM
by John Go to last post
5 187
UAC and Acceptence for a File on a permenant basis by Craig
There are certain programs that I have on my computer that are executables that I know the source of but are unsigned. However whenever I run these programs they require me to authenticate them because they are unsigned. Is there any way I can set it so that I always accept to authorize these executables without having to turn UAC off completly?
September 12th 07 05:59 PM
by Richard Urban Go to last post
1 147
Can't access 2nd Harddrive files after switching back 2 XP after V by KillrWhale
I had installed vista onto my 2 hard drive computer. And after installing Vista, I had to change the permissions for most of my files on my 2nd hard drive so I could actually access them with Vista. After noticing how slow vista is, I switched back to XP. Now I cannot access the files on my 2nd hard drive. Everytime I click one of the folders like lets say D:\Documents and settings\User\Desktop...
September 12th 07 05:55 PM
by Gary G. Little Go to last post

From The