Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
MRT tool detected "PWS:Win32/Corripio.gen!C" by PA Bear [MS MVP]
NAV (even if your subscription is current) will neither detect or remove such hijackware. Allow the MSRT to delete the file. Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315 Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis log to an appropriate forum. Checking for/Help with Hijackware
October 8th 08 03:12 AM
by PA Bear [MS MVP] Go to last post
0 464
Can't delete files........ need help! by news.microsoft.com[_9_]
I posted this on several Vista groups in desperation. I can't get control of my own computer although I'm the only user. I can't understand the complicated directions given to OWN my own PC so I can delete unwanted files downloaded to it in error from a backup external drive. I'm the admin and only user on my Vista comp and can't delete old files I no longer want. How do I delete these...
October 7th 08 09:43 PM
by FromTheRafters[_2_] Go to last post
4 272
Vista Admin Privileges appear to be load by Richard
I am running Vista Ultimate on a Dell XPS laptop. I appear to have lost admin privileges (my own PC, no other accounts). Any functions with the little shield next to them appear to be disabled. For instance I can change the picture associated with my account by not the name, cannot administer other accounts and cannot turn off UAC. Everything has been OK for a few months but then I have had...
October 7th 08 02:08 PM
by Mike[_32_] Go to last post
5 204
Windows Vista Antivirus, Firewall, Antispyware by MMO
How does Windows Live OneCare compare with Norton Internet Security and McAfee?
October 7th 08 01:53 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
6 243
Giardinelli GS312 Alto Saxophone===========================$300usd by eledealer001
Email: Email: Email: PRICE LIST: Yamaha YAS82Z Custom Z Eb Alto Saxophone===================$650usd Yamaha YAS-62II Professional Eb Alto Saxophone=============$600usd Yamaha YAS-82ZB Professional Alto Saxophone Black==========$700usd Yamaha YBS-52 Intermediate Bari Sax========================$950usd Yamaha YTS-62II...
October 7th 08 11:33 AM
by eledealer001 Go to last post
0 182
Why do i always need to "Run as an Admin"? by techenthu
Hi, I have an application which i need to install in the the Program files and launch at the startup.With UAC enabled, I install it as an administrator,it works fine and launches at the start up when i log off and log in again as an admin.But,when i log in as a normal user i have to always "Run as an Administrator" and provide the admin password for launching it , which i dont want to do....
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
October 7th 08 02:37 AM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
22 552
Not a valid Win 32 application by Jay Oken
I am loading an Winzip self extracting .exe application (it is an Access 2007 development program) and am getting a message saying it is not a valid Win 32 application. Others have loaded this same file on Vista just fine. Any ideas of what is wrong. Thanks, J
October 6th 08 11:38 PM
by dinesh Go to last post
3 221
utorrent and teredo by Alex
Hi, I have Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 x64 and today i installed uTorrent 1.8 ( stable ). When I open it ( utorrent ) and I look in "Options - Preferences - ' General '" the Install IPv6/Teredo button is disabled. Why? Is "teredo" enabled by default since I installed the OS? ( I am connected to the Internet by a router through Wireless as connection type. )
October 5th 08 10:12 PM
by Allan[_2_] Go to last post
1 247
installing vista and error free updates by Vangellis
For those who experience problems with updates for vista, there is only one sure way of overcoming this without all the hassle. 1- delete the main partition, then create a partition, then reformat the drive, usually C:\ 2 - Install Vista 3- DO NOT install anything at all, no firewall or antivirus, just let windows firewall and windows defender take care of things for now. 4- Update vista,...
October 5th 08 01:28 PM
by Vangellis Go to last post
0 175
obsolete usb scanners and vista by Vangellis
For those of you who have USB scanners that Vista has reported to be incompatible, do the following. 1- Make sure you have your scanner installation CD 2- Unplug the USB lead from the scanner to the computer. 3- Restart Vista 4- Plug in the USB cable for the scanner to your computer. 5- Vista will state "new hardware found, searching for drivers" let this finish, you will then be prompted for...
October 5th 08 01:26 PM
by Vangellis Go to last post
0 159
KB953838 won't install in Vista by Russ
I've seen the threads about KB953838 not installing under XP. I'm running Vista Home Premium and this update will not install. I recently reinstalled Vista on my new Gateway machine using the Gateway discs and then updated Vista with everything I could (including SP1) before loading any software (including antivirus). KB953838 was the only thing that wouldn't install. It keeps popping up...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 4th 08 08:30 PM
by Mick Murphy Go to last post
10 305
Windows Vista Security by melvin2008[_3_]
There are a number of security and safety features new to windows vista, most of not available in prior microsoft Windows operating system release. Microsoft announcement of trustworthy computing initiative a great deal of work gone into making windows vista a more secure operating system its predecessors. ___________________________________ 'Carhartt Work Jackets'...
October 4th 08 01:34 PM
by mikeyhsd[_3_] Go to last post
2 196
Why won't Vista let apps create new folders? by JeffG
I have had two similar problems on my system. 1. An application running in one of my user folders has several folders below the folder it runs in. One of these folders is named 'data'. It needed to create a file in data\global. This failed until I created the global folder manually. 2. I have Apache+MySQL+PHP running on my system. PHP was unable to create the folder 'session' in my...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 4th 08 10:09 AM
by JeffG Go to last post
11 262
Installation problem - non-admin users by Gaurav
Hello, I guess I am facing an administrative privileges issue with Vista. I have a custom application which is sent out to the users as an .msi file. I am not able to install this .msi file on Vista for non – admin users. I get the following error Error 1303. The installer has insufficient privileges to access this directory: Folder Path. The installation cannot continue. Log on as an...
October 4th 08 02:25 AM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
3 189
Trojan Detected! Please Help! by rbhavsar29
*Hello,:confused::confused::confused: I just bought this new HP laptop several months and now its infected with malware Trojan. A full scan on Windows defender shows that trojan is detected in some of the .dll files. I deleted 2 files on which it said trojan was detected. But next time I scanned on Windows Defender, some other .dll file showed up. Also scan on Bell Sympatico's Anti virus service,...
October 4th 08 01:49 AM
by Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM Go to last post
8 277
Microsoft to sue 'SCAREWARE' pushers by Kayman[_5_]
Microsoft, Washington state to sue 'scareware' pushers http://www.itworld.com/security/55420/microsoft-washington-state-sue-scareware-pushers "Microsoft and Washington state are cracking down on scammers..." The most prevalent scareware program in circulation today is software called Antivirus XP 2008, according to Alex Eckelberry, president of Sunbelt Software."
October 3rd 08 01:30 PM
by Bob I Go to last post
9 406
User account and security by Al
On Vista, in order for a system to see another machine's share, it asks for the user's credentials. I know this can be tuned off using Password protection for shares. However, regardless, if both the systems have the same user account with the same password (not necessarily logged in as that user but just if they have it), then things become very simple and the other user can see and open...
October 3rd 08 10:31 AM
by Paul Montgumdrop[_2_] Go to last post
1 307
M. Russinovich - Windows Vista performance... by Kayman[_5_]
In the third installment of the popular Springboard series roundtable hosted by Microsoft Technical Fellow Mark Russinovich, the discussion focused on Windows Vista performance, how to assess, measure, improve, optimize and set baselines on the performance of a Vista based system. He talks about some tools and tips as well as dispel some of the myths surrounding windows based systems....
October 3rd 08 09:50 AM
by Kayman[_5_] Go to last post
0 227
cannot change Program Files to full control by barryadam
I'm trying to load MS Info Exporter to print my WMP 11 library on my stand-alone home computer Vista Home Pro will not allow it to load as it will not give access to the Program Files/Windows Media Player/Icons directory. I have tried to change the security directly as well as on everything fron C: on down to allow full control, but it won't change these directories. How do I do this?
October 3rd 08 05:20 AM
by Paul Montgumdrop[_2_] Go to last post
5 218
no password login will work by henryspl
Here is one I have not seen explained. I can create a new user account and assign a password then when I log out and attempt to log into the new account with the password, it says the password is wrong. I can however use that account name if it is an admin to edit things that require admin privelages from another user account using the password I originally assigned. I know the password of the...
October 3rd 08 02:36 AM
by henryspl Go to last post

From The