Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Fresh Vista64 install problem with junction points by Snowbound
Have a laptop with Vista64 and have problems installing OpenOffice. The program errors on on installing a file to \programdata\microsoft\windows\templates indicating that I do not have rights to that location. Checked in windows explorer and that location is showing up as a junction point rather than a real directory. I know that \ProgramData\Templates is a junction point which points to...
November 5th 08 12:06 AM
by [email protected] Go to last post
5 282
Yahoo! Messenger Security Issue? by Alex
Hi, I have MS Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1. As IM programs I am using Windows Live Messenger and Yahoo! Messenger 8.1. I want to know if I am logged-in in Yahoo! Messenger 8.1 and someone is sending me a *.exe application ( what contains malicious code, as a virus or rootkit or someting like that ) and I choose to denied the transfer ( to not accept it ), my computer is vulnerable...
November 4th 08 06:36 PM
by Alex Go to last post
0 278
Forgotten Password Wizard won't recognize my CD drive by David Mayerovitch
I'm running Vista Home Premium. I want to create a password reset disk using a CD. My CD/DVD/RW drive is E:. Windows Explorer also shows four other available drives: F:, G:, H: and I:. (I don't know why they are there, as there are no physical drives associated with them.) When I run the Forgotten Password Wizard, which is supposed to allow me to create a password reset disk on a CD or a USB...
November 4th 08 04:17 AM
by David Mayerovitch Go to last post
3 299
Have you used a Security Guide? Help us improve Solution Accelerators for you! by Derick Campbell
We want to hear what you think about Solution Accelerators - such as the Windows Vista Security Guide - so we can make improvements and build better products. Have you tried a Solution Accelerator? If so, please share your experience with us by completing this short survey: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=132579 (less than ten minutes). Thanks,
November 3rd 08 09:42 PM
by Derick Campbell Go to last post
0 264
Internet connected but can't use a browser by El.Plates
Hi am trying to fix a problem for a friend of mine on his Dell Inspiron 1720-1418 which is running Vista Home Premium and all is fine apart from Internet Explorer cannot connect to the internet. I DO have a working internet connection and am able to download Windows updates and updates for Spybot (although not for NOD32, Malwarebytes or SuperAntiSpyware !!) I have run the latest version of...
November 3rd 08 07:48 PM
by Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM Go to last post
9 266
Vista Home Premium cannot see mmy XP Pro SP3 machines... by jim
I can Ping my XP Pro PCs, but Vista will not show them from StartNetwork. They are all on the same IP segment. They are all members of the same workgroup. I have SP3 on XP Pro Pcs - so LLTP KB fix will not install (it must have been included in SP3 - I guess). The XP Pro PCs can ping the Vista Home Premium PC, but not see any shares on it. The Vista Home Premium PC cannot see the XP Pro...
November 3rd 08 07:25 PM
by Mick Murphy Go to last post
4 267
Re FREE AVG by kizzysmum
I have always had the FREE VERSION AVG anti virus ..and never had any problems ..however started to have trouble updating it so decided to just un-install ..sounds simple eh .. un-install and re-install again . Seems that when i try to install again .. its telling me that I have another anti virus programme running and reccomends I un-install and try again . So what do I do now .The HP TOTAL...
November 3rd 08 03:57 PM
by kizzysmum Go to last post
5 309
Anyone experiencing conflict between October 2008 MS Security Bulletin patches with TPM and Embassy Trust Suite? by No Name
I have scheduled a callback from Dell due to an issue I experienced today with Vista Ultimate SP1 and the Embassy Trust Suite. I am unable to log on at all using the biometric fingerprint reader in my Latitude D820 (A09 BIOS), and unable to log in with ALL KNOWN VALID usernames/password pairs using internal keyboard, external USB keyboard or Remote Desktop (remote connections to IPC$ and...
November 3rd 08 09:42 AM
by Belzebu74 Go to last post
6 316
User Account Control Password by p23185[_3_]
Does anyone know where I can change the password from "password" (default) to one of my own choosing? I used help and it told me to use 'run' and type 'secpol.msc'. When I do that I get the red x that says Windows cannot find secpol.msc. So I did an advanced search under the C: drive for this file and the is none, but it does find this - *-'x86_microsoft-windows-help-secpol_'-* ending...
November 3rd 08 02:13 AM
by Jack the Ripper Go to last post
1 242
Vista advertising SD card content? by Gareth[_2_]
I'm probably missing something here but if someone could explain it would be much appreciated. I notice that if I plug a SD card containing digital camera produced files in to a card reader connected to Vista via USB I am invited via autoplay to allow "Windows to view pictures". I didn't give any permission to Vista to broadcast the fact that the (protected) SD card contains photos and yet...
November 2nd 08 04:14 PM
by Bruce Chambers Go to last post
4 227
How to Stop All Searches? by Avie
:)I have the file "everything" full. I have not set up any indexing. Unlearned to date. Vista Home Prem SP1 -- Avie
November 1st 08 10:47 PM
by FromTheRafters[_2_] Go to last post
1 234
norton 360 by amanda
hi all, my i have been useing norton 360 since i got my laptop i just recenley re installed norton360 was working for a while but now its turned off and windows firewall wont let me turn it back on can someone please help on this matter -- many thanks :) Amanda
November 1st 08 07:48 PM
by Victek Go to last post
2 224
windows could not start the security center service on local computer by ronnycopeh
sorry if I double post but I need to start my own thread to get help, I have searched everywhere for a solution to starting the security center, its on automatic but won't start and I get this message "windows could not start the security center service on local computer" Error 1083: The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service
October 31st 08 11:40 PM
by Engel Go to last post
3 246
test post by Farbuncle
October 31st 08 03:08 PM
by Farbuncle Go to last post
0 243
RunAs Admin Shortcut by ChrisA
I want to run Sysinternal's ProcExplorer from the Start menu. Since it needs Elevated permisions, and snice I'm trying to run as a reg. user, I get propmpted for creditials everytime I login. I thought I could create a Shortcut that Elevated the target, but I can't figure it out. Since ProcExp is a trusted app (by me), it can run without As Admin. I'm looking for the UNIX run as owner...
October 31st 08 08:14 AM
by Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) Go to last post
2 277
Icacls.exe can be used for Registry modification? by ashapadmanabhan[_2_]
Hi Please tell me whether Icacls can be used for Registry permission change in Windows Vista. I want to restrict users from accessing specific registry hive. In XP, I was using Subinacl.exe. The switch specified in sbuinacl is not available with Icacls. Please let me know, whether Icacls can be used for registry restrictions or any other tool available for doing that in Windows
October 30th 08 08:29 PM
by Steve Riley [MSFT] Go to last post
6 317
Command line tool for Restricting Registry hive in windows Vista? by ashapadmanabhan
Hi, Please tell me whether any command line tool available for restricting users from accessing registry hive in windows Vista. Before I was using Subinacl.exe for windows XP. The following registry hive is specified with subinacl to restrict registry from users. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /revoke="USERS" . The same registry hive I want to...
October 30th 08 08:27 PM
by Steve Riley [MSFT] Go to last post
1 276
HI by mcloven8193
I Am New At This Site Just Wanted To Say My Hi's -- mcloven8193 Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com
October 30th 08 01:39 PM
by Engel Go to last post
1 413
forgot login password on gateway by mrnewgui
My roomate forgot his password on his new gateway desktop. he never set up the password recovery disk or any of that jazz? is he screwed? or is there anything he can do? thanks for your help! -- mrnewgui
October 29th 08 07:17 AM
by barman58 Go to last post
4 237
FTP connection timedout when Vista Windows Defender active by Golard
Hi, Since few years, I'm developping a professionnal software. I want to make it work on Vista SP1, with Windows Defender active. * WITHOUT windows defender, it's OK. * With Windows Defender active, I've got a FTP error (error n°10060: The current connection has timedout). * With Windows Defender active, FTP commands are working in a command console
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 28th 08 03:26 PM
by Golard Go to last post

From The