Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Please help, no administrator access! by Nicholas Hanson
I was led to believe that if you remove your user account from the Administrators group UAC would prompt you when Administrator rights were needed and you could supply the Administrator password to do what you like. In XP when you move your user account out of the Administrators group (I ran as a Power User in XP) it would automatically activate the built-in Administrator account. In Vista...
October 28th 08 11:04 AM
by FromTheRafters[_2_] Go to last post
6 266
Spoofing Mick Murphy by Mick Murphy
The spoofer uses a Newsreader. I use Web Interface. Spoofer crossposts through Newsreader; Web Interface can't. If you click on my name in the reply posts of mine here, my details are visible: name, total number of posts, date of joining, users helped, etc Click on the spoofer's name in HIS reply posts he my FAKED name, and whatever Address he wants to use, if he wants to use one; and...
October 28th 08 10:39 AM
by Mick Murphy Go to last post
4 197
Old fool Murphy thinks Jack is spoofing him, the old worthless Sherlock.VBG by Jack the Ripper
Murphy, you old *clown*, you couldn't investigate your way out of a paper sack. g
October 28th 08 09:34 AM
by Jack the Ripper Go to last post
0 175
An EFS encryption question. by bagassa
Good afternoon everyone, What I like to do is lock some of my sensitive files using the windows EFS encryption so that if someone were to steal my computer and somehow hack the password into my account, they still would not be able to read the files. If I were to: 1. encrypt the files 2. then export the "encrypting file system" certificate from the certificate
October 27th 08 11:33 PM
by GreenieLeBrun Go to last post
5 264
Suitable USB flashdrive to secure Bitlocker by glr
Unfortunately, my laptop does not include TPM. So I intend to use the alternative, a USB flash drive. Like most laptops, my PC has ports for the USB flashdrive but also the flash card which phones and cameras use. Can I use the later to secure bitlocker? Thanks in advance for advice. Regards,
October 27th 08 03:22 PM
by glr Go to last post
0 186
security update problem by eyeguy
i'm having a problem with an automatic update that keeps appearing daily even after installing it ~ the udate is ~ SECURITY UPDATE FOR MICROSOFT XML CORE SERVICE 4.0 SERVICE PACK 2 (KB936181) ~ should I turn off the auto update function, ALSO I only have service pack 1 installed ~ I made the mistake of always installing it and now have several copies of it ~ not sure if there is an error...
October 26th 08 07:49 PM
by Richard G. Harper Go to last post
1 180
WHAT KEEPS SHUTTING OFF WINDOWS DEFENDER? by CAROLE
HELLO, I'M HOPING SOMEONE CAN HELP ME, WITH MY PROBLEM. I HAVE WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMEUM. I HAVE THE FULL VERSION OF WINDOWS LIVE ONE CARE INSTALLED, AND I'M WONDERING IF THIS CAN BE CAUSING WINDOWS DEFENDER TO STOP WORKING AND KEEPS IT CLOSED. I CAN'T UNINSTALL THE DEFENDER BECAUSE THERE IS NOT A UNINSTALL FOR IT ON ADD AND REMOVE PROGRAMS. ALSO I HAVE TRIED TO REINSTALL AND UNINSTALL...
October 26th 08 02:46 PM
by Engel Go to last post
4 203
Auto Updates by Gregory
Hello friends. Is it safe to enable automatic updates to my new Vista Home Premium ? Is there a better way to keep things in order ? Any inputs to avert pitfalls would be appreciated. Yours gratefully, -- Gregory
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 26th 08 09:12 AM
by Hank Arnold (MVP) Go to last post
16 476
Security - read only by jesuswasacoolguy
Windows vista allows the change of file property ie. hidden, read-only. Believing it would keep my files secure, I switched to read-only (in case anybody tries to change anything). That's the problem. I tried to 'unread'-only all the files but it just doesnt work that way. Installing file shredder softwares also don't work as it replies that the files are "in use and can't be...
October 25th 08 08:37 PM
by Rotten Ronny Go to last post
1 182
security update by gary
using vista home premium i have a problem with the latest security update for my system- KB958644, with this update installed my computer will not go to sleep, uninstall it as i have at the moment and the computer goes to sleep as soon as i click on the sleep button, what is the best way to notify microsoft of this problem, and should i in the meantime reinstall this update. many...
October 25th 08 03:00 PM
by gary Go to last post
2 197
hm....winhelp.ini is a MALWARE? by pLu89
:sarc: i was wonder when i scan my computer with combofix.exe this combofix.exe has deleted this winhelp.ini file and recognized this file as malware... hm...wanna sure about thiis... before the file was removed..... my computer always gettin laggy and always stuck...
October 25th 08 10:19 AM
by Jim[_49_] Go to last post
5 212
Can't download exe by joemast2007
I'm running Vista Home Premium. When I try to download an exe file, the download is blocked and I get a message saying it's because of security concerns. When I click for more info, it tells me I can allow the download if I go to Microsoft Mail ( a program I don't use) and clear a check box. I do this but I still can't make the downloads. Does anyone have any idea what I can do to fix...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 24th 08 11:03 PM
by TRACEY Go to last post
32 825
Choose a Digital Certificate Blank!! by Ryan Hanisco
Hello everyone, I have a web site that uses Certificate Authentication for user identity. My CA issues certificates to the end users and the web site inspects the certificate properties to allow users into the site. The CA is a private CA that uses a self-signed cert at the top level. On all non-Vista operating systems, everything works well. When Vista requests the cert, it prompts me...
October 24th 08 04:38 PM
by Ryan Hanisco Go to last post
3 214
Mcafee malware Protection won't turn on by Conmana
Yea earlier today i got the little message at the bottom of my screen "i forgot what it said" but i went to it and saw that Mcafee Malware protection was turned off? So I tried to turn it on but it wouldn't I clicked turn on got the prompt pressed Yes I know this antivirus program blah blah blah and so on...Did that about 3 times still wouldnt work?!?!?!? how can i get My malware protection back...
October 24th 08 02:52 PM
by DL Go to last post
1 175
Vista TweakVi WARNING!!!!!!!!! by news.microsoft.com[_10_]
Do not pay attention to those who recommend this crap software. I uninstalled it and the icons cannot be removed from the desktop! I can neither drag and drop them in the recycle bin nor right-click them and delete. Why the hell are the MVPs recommending something like this to people?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 24th 08 07:01 AM
by news.microsoft.com[_10_] Go to last post
31 676
Protected mode on/off?? by Dano
HI, I am a newbie and I have Protected Mode enabled in the Security settings box. UAC is enabled. The status bar always shows Protected mode OFF. How do I re-enable Protected mode?? Thanks everybody! -- Dano Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com
October 23rd 08 11:05 PM
by Dano Go to last post
7 260
Create shortcut by freddy[_4_]
Hi, I am not able to create a shortcut to a application on a shared network folder. On a XP machine it is no problem, but it is not possible on a vista machine. The server is windows 2008 in a workgroup. I think this is a security problem and hope somebody has a solution. Kind regards
October 23rd 08 02:23 AM
by +Bob+ Go to last post
1 179
RunDLL , Error in C:\Users\"name"\AppData\Local\Temp\qbgjcifd.dll by SAMI
HELP PLEASE, i got my new laptop with windows vista home premium, only 4 days with me, brand new laptop. the error last line written including the topic message : Missing entry:run ????????? plz help, i understand from searching the web that this could possible be a virus, it happened today this error, this error comes out when i enter to my user account, afte the desktop icons appear it...
October 22nd 08 11:45 AM
by No Name Go to last post
9 206
Can't access my folders after installing windows updates (Oct 20, by Savvoulidis Iordanis
I recently bought a HP notebook with Windows vista home edition. I dowloaded Windows updates and even though I didn't change any of my account name or password (I'm the administrator), I'm denied access on more than half the folders. I tried changing the ownership on a great deal of folders but even though I checked the otions for the subfolders, it didn't work. It's impossible to change...
October 22nd 08 11:38 AM
by No Name Go to last post
4 189
ANONYMOUS LOGON Vista Premium, should I be worried? by Robban
I get up to 50 logins a day on from all different IPs. Particularly one IP keeps reoccuring in the list and that computer is (according to the IP, we got our own network here) a neighbour to me. However, the neighbour IP is still only accounting for roughly 25% of all 'succesful' logins to the anonymous account. Sometimes the IP is shown as logged in for just a minute before logged out and...
October 20th 08 05:40 PM
by Robban Go to last post

From The