Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Two questions that I need help with! by String Player
I'm using Windows vista and every time I want to attach a document a popup appears say Extension CLSID verification host has stopped working and will close the program. Question #2 Many times after I am done working on a word or powerpoint document and close the program- A popup appears that says program as stopped working and windows is checking the problem. How can I get these to stop...
November 24th 08 12:31 AM
by Anon[_4_] Go to last post
2 311
Two questions that I need help on! by String Player[_2_]
I'm using Windows vista and every time I want to attach a document a popup appears say Extension CLSID verification host has stopped working and will close the program. Question #2 Many times after I am done working on a word or powerpoint document and close the program- A popup appears that says program as stopped working and windows is checking the problem. How can I get these to stop...
November 23rd 08 07:01 PM
by String Player[_2_] Go to last post
0 295
How to use Task Scheduler? by Neil Jones[_2_]
I need to backup my email (Outlook and Thunderbird) and some financial files directory. How do I use Task Scheduler (as a normal user) to backup my files daily? Thank you in advance for any help. NJ
November 23rd 08 06:20 PM
by Neil Jones[_2_] Go to last post
0 283
Using multiple virus scanners on the same system? by Neil Jones[_2_]
What is the best way to use 2 or more virus scanners on the same system? I want one of AV scaaners to be the primary AV scanner (resident). The other AV scanners I would like to use them from a bootable CD or as an application and execute on-demand only. Some scanners seem to be more current than others. So I would like to know if anyone has done this on Windows Vista without hurting the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 23rd 08 02:21 PM
by Leythos[_2_] Go to last post
11 558
Windows Firewall problem on Home Premium by Jepoi
Hi, I have this windows firewall problem started when I uninstalled the Onecare live. I also ran the OnecareCleanup. Previously I can't see the WF in the services, after some try in the registry I was able to see the WF running in the services but I can't turn it ON. Also when I try right click and properties in the services to run it manually I got an error " Configuration Manager: The...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 22nd 08 11:52 PM
by Kayman[_5_] Go to last post
19 643
Windows Defender Software Explorer by Bob D.
All of a sudden after doing a full system scan, I now get the Software Explorer when starting up saying it blocked (Not Yet Classified) the following: Amazon Unbox Video Acer eAp Launch Tool Acer Tour Reminder Launcher.exe N/A (this one looks suspicious) PCMMediaSharing.exe Sysmonitor
November 22nd 08 03:04 AM
by Bob D. Go to last post
0 258
Strange Flash Player Window in IE by Alexandru
Hello, I have Flash Player 9 installed on my Vista machine. Today when I visited the http://utorrent.com/ the download page, a strange window appeard... { Adobe Flash Player 9 Where is the debugger or host application running? (radiobutton) Localhost (radiobutton) Other Machine
November 21st 08 10:03 AM
by Alexandru Go to last post
0 259
Avira Update Nag Screen by Spirit
The FREE version of Avira has a nag screen that pops up almost full screen when the auto-updater runs. Anyone know the three ways to disable it?
November 21st 08 12:09 AM
by Ken Blake, MVP Go to last post
4 261
Can't Turn On Protected Mode by PA Bear [MS MVP]
...in fact, I think a virus did get in (though I believe my Symantic installation caught it). Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315 Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis log to an appropriate forum. Checking for/Help with Hijackware
November 19th 08 11:41 PM
by Alun Jones Go to last post
3 274
Help with encryption software by Brown Christopher
Hi, I need some encryption software to do file, folder and hard drive encryption, with tools like TrueCrypt I can create only encrypted drives, but I want to encrypt single files and folders too, I have found some cool software at: http://www.download.com/Alligator-Data-Guard/3000-2092_4-10857242.html But it's for 20$! Is there any freeware or open source replacement?
November 19th 08 07:31 PM
by groffg[_2_] Go to last post
2 259
Emacs Zip File Crashing Vista Explorer by Nils Gösche
Hi! I have a new computer with Windows Vista. I wanted to install Emacs from http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-22.3-bin-i386.zip and was surprised to find that trying to extract the files of this (rather large) zip file reliably crashes Windows Explorer. I tried to report the bug to Microsoft Support but unfortunately they won't
November 19th 08 06:53 PM
by Allan[_2_] Go to last post
6 295
Security Audit Failure (Event Viewer) tcpip.sys hash not valid/cor by artfuldodga
Code integrity determined that the image hash of a file is not valid. The file could be corrupt due to unauthorized modification or the invalid hash could indicate a potential disk device error. File Name: \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\drivers\tcpip.sys Log Name: Security Source: Microsoft-Windows-Security-Auditing Date: 8/11/08 3:35p Event ID: 5038
November 19th 08 06:43 PM
by Allan[_2_] Go to last post
4 255
Vista security and infection issue by elitewolverine
let me start off by saying this problem is just killing my braincells. i have read your forums for quite some time now and, well, i needed to join because im just at a total loss to whats going on, and nothing on google or yahoo has shown up. Heres story: Friend calls me while im at work, and says, whats up with rundll32 error. from my experience especially since i have spybot adaware avg...
November 18th 08 08:23 PM
by Richard Urban Go to last post
3 261
Accessing user folders on external harddrive by lee
I have a vista harddrive from my laptop that has failed to boot vista yet it is still accessible through a external usb enclosure. I am trying to get at the user\local settings folder from a different computer(XP) to get to my Outlook 2003 datafiles. Those folders are not accessible. I know the usernames and passwords for those user accounts. How can I access these through windows explorer...
November 18th 08 04:47 PM
by Gordon[_5_] Go to last post
1 274
FLV Infection by Alex
Hi, Can a virus to hide into an FLV file??? Thank You
November 17th 08 03:17 PM
by FromTheRafters[_2_] Go to last post
2 318
conime.exe by aldo[_2_]
sono un neofita. Nel sistema ho conime.exe Devo eliminarlo o no? ringrazio Aldo
November 17th 08 07:55 AM
by Wim Hekken -) Go to last post
1 277
BitLocker - how to change startup key? by groffg
I have a machine w/ TPM-less BitLocker. I'd like to change the startup key (stored on USB, of course) to something else. I thought disabling (but not decrypting) BitLocker & then re-enabling it would do the trick. Alas, that does not work. Re-enabling BitLocker just produces the same startup key. Is there a way to do this that doesn't involve decrypting & then re-encrypting the drive? Seems like...
November 16th 08 11:08 PM
by VistaGuy Go to last post
1 263
Windows Event History Log by Alex
Hi, I want to know I can view an (event) history log of my Windows OS. I have Windows Vista ( SP1, Home Premium, x64).
November 16th 08 06:13 PM
by Bruce Chambers Go to last post
3 267
Windows Security & Norton by T.[_2_]
I am running Windows Security and Norton 360. Windows Security is telling me that Norton 360 is not running, but I have it running on the desktop. What info can you give me on how to fix the problem??
November 16th 08 04:09 PM
by Charlie42[_2_] Go to last post
9 315
Can't connect to Linksys WRT160N Router???? by Tex Hemke
Hi All; I am trying to connect to the WRT160N Wireless Router by typing http://192.168.1.1/ I have used both IE 7 and Safari and neither will bring up the Logon Window. I get the Error Message "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage." I then click on "Diagnose Connection Problems" and a new Windows Pop up states: "192.168.1.1" is not set up to establish a connection on port "World...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 15th 08 11:31 PM
by Tex Hemke Go to last post

From The