Threads in Forum : General Vista Help and Support Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Search icon on start bar by Murray
How do reset the icon that launches Advanced Search onto my Start Bar. I have set it to do so in Taskbar properties but it wont go there. I did move settings between a local and domain user and have had problems ever since. Perhaps I should reset my windows settings but I dont know how to do that. Please help!
June 8th 08 05:40 PM
by solon fox Go to last post
2 341
setting up cable TV: WMC can't detect cable signal by maya
hi, I'm trying to set up Windows Media Center for CABLE TV. have two tuners installed, installed cable card from COMCAST, connected the cable TV cable (the white cable fro cable TV), but no matter what I do, WMC cannot detect the cable signal, what could this be? (even if I take out the cable card and try to configure for just basic cable TV it cannot detect any cable TV signal..) the cable...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
June 8th 08 05:12 PM
by peggy Go to last post
14 647
Windows Explorer Windows by Gerry[_6_]
Trying to get Drives / Folders and Sub-Folders on the right as existed in XP. Also tried to get a shortcut from the Desk top to open to windows displayed in this way. Failed! Shortcut opens to display Windows as I want but anchors itself to document; not Computer or the C drive. If I click on Computer it lists the drives / partition but there is no right pane. Am I able to configure the way...
June 8th 08 05:07 PM
by Gerry[_6_] Go to last post
8 454
System Paging File/Virtual Memory by UnknownTBeast
Should there be a limit as to how much memory I should use for this? I am using 10,000 MB, but not sure if that is too much or not? What is the recomended?
June 8th 08 04:34 PM
by Ken Blake, MVP Go to last post
4 367
Program Unable to Add to Windows Firewall's Exception List by Wyman[_5_]
Hi, I have mounted a disk to an empty NTFS folder - "C:\Program Files\Custom", I then install various applications to that mount point. However, I found that I am not able to add application (*.exe) that installed in mount point to Windows Firewall's exceptions list. It show "Windows Firewall cannot add application name" to the list of exceptions". For testing reason, I copy the exe file...
June 8th 08 04:26 PM
by Wyman[_5_] Go to last post
0 319
Mouse Cursor inaccurate by liketofindoutwhy
I just got a Dell with 256MB Radeon HD 2600 XT video card. The mouse cursor, is inaccurate... either I need to move the mouse a little to the top-left or little to the bottom-right so that I can click on the correct file or the correct maximize or close button. Did someone have that problem before? Is it a video card problem or is it an OS problem? the system comes with a Blu-Ray...
June 8th 08 04:25 PM
by Jan Go to last post
3 345
Backup fails catastrophic error 0x8000FFFF by Baba O'Reilly[_3_]
Creating shawdow copy fails on Vista Home Premium when I try to backup my system using Backup and Restore center. I have not seen this before. Are there options available which do not require me restoring my installation? -- You may worry about your hair-do today, but tomorrow much peanut butter will be sold.
June 8th 08 03:49 PM
by Adam Albright Go to last post
4 451
Program Compatibility Assistant won't go away by Melmat3
I tried to download ZoneAlarm (for Vista), but the Program Compatibility Assistant blocked it. Now I can't get rid of the error message. It keeps popping back up. I've uninstalled ZoneAlarm and rebooted, and then there the message is again. Like some horror movie. Can anyone help? Tks. -- Melmat3
June 8th 08 03:19 PM
by Melmat3 Go to last post
2 377
Need some advice HDTV - Connections by raks
Guys, Yesterday i recently brought a 'NEW TOSHIBA REGZA 37XV505DG 37” FULL HD LCD TV FREEVIEW.' (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220243072090&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=012) I need to know the best way to connect all the stuff below. 1) PC - Should i use DVI to monitor cable
June 8th 08 02:58 PM
by raks Go to last post
1 380
Can't find/delete entry in "Contacts" by 3putt in coastal SC
I have a typo in one of the email addresses I created. I corrected it using the edit feature, but the same typo appears when I create a new email message. Even though I have since deleted the email address I created, it will still appear when I try to send using the correct email address. I can't find that email address in my Contacts list to delete. (if this makes any sense)
June 8th 08 02:38 PM
by Dave Go to last post
4 343
Disable/Remove/Bypass Vista wmp 11 & downgrade t wmp 10 by Budd
Simply unhappy with Vista !! Could learn to live with it if I could find away around/bypass wmp 11 and go back to my ole xp wmp 10. Any ideas? Thanks anyway. -- Budd
June 8th 08 02:00 PM
by Dzomlija Go to last post
5 308
Vista freezes by thomasr1950
i'm running Vista Home Premium on my laptop, 2 gb ram & it freezes. It freezes more often when left alone for 10-20min. Sometimes when moving the mouse it freezes. Task mgr. will not open so i have to shut down system. At times i get a error message & my hd is being scanned. thomasr
June 8th 08 01:35 PM
by solon fox Go to last post
6 511
Why is the start menu closed after deleting an item? by RealCat
Till Windows XP, I could right click and delete some obsolete or unnecessary start menu items (in All Programs) without having the start menu gets closed. This was useful because in many cases I need to delete multiple items. However, on Windows Vista, the start menu gets closed after deleting one item. I need to click the Windows orb again, and click All Programs again. Why has Microsoft...
June 8th 08 01:27 PM
by Brink Go to last post
3 366
"my" folders by Wasted
Greetings Am still in early days with a new computer with Vista. In Windows explorer, and when using Office, I see shortcut icons labelled things like "my music", "My videos", "My documents" which seem to be hangovers from XP, but all of which give "access denied messages when I click on them. So why on earth are they there? Can I hide/delete them?
June 8th 08 01:06 PM
by thomasr1950 Go to last post
6 415
Windows Installer in Vista by Paige
I am using Windows Vista Business. I recently bought and successfully downloaded Adobe Acrobat 8 Pro, however, the installation is always stopped by the error code 1719: "Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if Windows Installer is not installed properly. Contact your support personnel for assistance." In addition, I can't UN-INSTALL anything either. What is...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
June 8th 08 12:31 PM
by cm.franks Go to last post
11 549
Problem with Vista accessing XP Pro printer share. by Ken Varn
I have a Windows Vista SP1 system trying to access a printer share on a XP Pro SP3 system. The admin accounts on Vista are able to get to the printer share with no problems. However, the User accounts are having problems with accessing the printer share. I had read an article on using a local port for accessing the share instead of using network share printer access. When the User...
June 8th 08 12:29 PM
by Patrick C Go to last post
4 290
can't receive by mike givens
I know this is the wrong forum but I am not getting any help from the email forums. This is my situation: Since this morning my Windows mail can send but not receive. I keep getting an error message 0x8004005. If I go to my Yahoo home page and go to mail it receives it there. Help please
June 8th 08 12:14 PM
by solon fox Go to last post
4 451
Documents and Settings permissions by 3putt in coastal SC
I can't open this folder. Permission needed? I am the only established user of this computer. How do I change the permissions for this folder(s)?
June 8th 08 12:10 PM
by Synapse Syndrome[_2_] Go to last post
4 313
Windows Update error 80070103 by Bill Glidden
HP 530 Notebook PC, cannot install driver update for inbuilt Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG adaptor, either through Windows Update or via HP SP38888. Windows Update gives a code while direct update just says driver installation was not successful. This is an update that is flagged as necessary. The wireless adaptor is not functioning properly. Any ideas, anyone?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
June 8th 08 11:41 AM
by Bill Glidden Go to last post
12 494
svchost.exe shutdown and Generic Host Shutdown by Nathan M. Jones[_2_]
Good Morning to everyone, I am having a bit of trouble with Vista x64 Home and I am hoping someone here can point me in the right direction. First the Log Event Faulting application svchost.exe_SysMain, version 6.0.6001.18000, time stamp 0x47919291, faulting module sysmain.dll, version 6.0.6001.18000, time stamp 0x4791adbd, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00000000000353b5, process...
June 8th 08 11:04 AM
by Nathan M. Jones[_2_] Go to last post

From The