Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
An Error has occurred initiating the Virtual Key Shared Cache... by jrt773
After updates on June 18th, we began getting the following message: "An Error has occurred initiating the Virtual Key Shared Cache" Whenever we start IE7 this message pops up. We tried the following steps listed on another post: Reset Internet Explorer ----------------------
June 29th 08 04:38 AM
by Spirit Go to last post
1 112
Question: The clock in vista can not synchronize - read inside please by none[_4_]
Everytime the clock tries to synchronize, an error occurs and the clock is now almost 1 minute behind correct time. I know this has been a problem since vista was introduced, I changed something in the past and fixed the probllem, but I'm having a very long senior moment and I can't remember what it was I did to fix the problem. Any help??
June 29th 08 04:33 AM
by Brink Go to last post
1 125
desktop problems? by stevie mcg
I upgraded to Vista a couple of days ago. Then one time all of a sudden when I successfully typed in my password and loged into the system, all that appeared was the My Documents window and a black desktop in the background. There are no desktop icons and no taskbar at the botton of the screen, nothing. I've tried restarting the laptop on several occasions but the same thing occurs. When I...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
June 29th 08 03:21 AM
by PaulM Go to last post
19 323
Program Will Not Install Properly in Vista - error messages by james
Hi, I have installed this program in XP,and have used it for years. But it will not install in Vista. I have tried installing it in the usual place,and in C:\ and D:\ both times i got the same messages. I get the error messages below: 1) The first message i get after installation is :
June 29th 08 02:15 AM
by Rick Rogers Go to last post
1 136
64 bit not using 3.5 gb of RAM by Jordan K
So I recently bought an alienware m9750 laptop, of course I got 4gigs of ram, alienware didnt offer a 64 bit OS so I bought vista home premium 64 bit, While the 32 bit OS was on there it showed 2.8 gigs of RAM, didnt think too much of it because somebody told me 32 bit OSs maxed out at 3 gigs, but now after installing the 64 bit OS it's still only showing and using 2.8 gigs of RAM. Now in...
June 28th 08 11:42 PM
by Jordan K[_2_] Go to last post
2 156
freezing issues by muncle6
hi i have installed vista business 64 on my new computer with high expectations...i have also installed all the drivers and the system runs quite smoothly except...every once in a while it chooses to freeze the only option is to do a manual system shutdown...could anybody help me with my freezing problem? thanks -- muncle6
June 28th 08 09:36 PM
by Nonny Go to last post
3 121
Explorer ERROR:S:S by Altiar
my explorer just keeps stopping from responding and then reopens by itself...anyone may know why and how to solve this problem??? plus a few icons from the notification bar stopped appearing, and i cant get them back, any help here here too?!
June 28th 08 05:46 PM
by CarolinaFaithful Go to last post
1 168
Vista Reduced Functionally Mode by Stan Gilbert
I was late in activating my copy of Vista Ultimate, it went into RFM and now that it's activated, it still won't come out of RFM, I even installed SP1 in hopes that would bring it back. What else do I need to do to get my desktop and functionally back, this program cost me to much money for it to be so screwed up like it is. Can someone please offer me advise on how to get my computer out of...
June 28th 08 04:45 PM
by Nonny Go to last post
8 136
Hanging up/not responding by dibaxter
I keep having the problem of MS Outlook not responding, or clicking on a link in an email and nothing happening, or clicking on any way to get into explorer either from a desktop or task bar icon, etc. If I shut down or restart it clears up for a while, but comes back soon, eventually. I have IE version 7, Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1. (32 bit) How can I keep this from...
June 28th 08 11:32 AM
by Robert Hankins Go to last post
5 113
System Rating by joel hj60
My System Rating seems to have a Bug. When i first got my HP Pavilion dv9000, I ran it and it updated fine. Several weeks later it reverted back to it's original score. Now, nothing is displayed there. Not even a 0, or a faded out score. Just a blank space. Any ideas? Thanks, Joel. -- joel hj60
June 28th 08 09:14 AM
by joel hj60 Go to last post
2 152
Sleep not working as it did by Jeff
When I first installed Vista (Home Premium), I enabled sleep mode and noticed when sleep was invoked my computer got quiet (I could hear the drive and fan going quiet) and would notice the light indicating my computer on my wireless network router would go out. That was great! However, now when I invoke sleep, I just notice the monitor going blank, that's it. Any ideas would welcome. ...
June 27th 08 11:08 PM
by Jeff Go to last post
2 153
Start menu slow to fill in by Ray[_6_]
Sometimes when I open a submenu of the start menu (e.g. Programs) the empty menu frame pops up almost instantly, but then there's a delay before the icons appear. At times it's as much as a second or two. It seems to be worse with the larger submenus. Once I've opened a given submenu, the next time I open it, it fills in immediately. But after a while the delay comes back. I had a...
June 27th 08 09:12 PM
by Ray[_6_] Go to last post
2 155
Vista Updates by cjwings31
I originally set up my system to have automatic updates, which for someone that is not very techical seemed to be the way to go. Last month an automatic update goofed up my screen and it took several attempts and hours to get it fixed. Now I am leary to do any updates. Is there a place to check if there have been problems with updates. What is the best thing to do about updates. At this...
June 27th 08 05:16 PM
by Nonny Go to last post
2 121
Reliability and Performance Monitor by aftermath
Hi all. Has anyone figured out how to reset or clear the "Reliability and Performance Monitor" logs.
June 27th 08 05:14 PM
by Nonny Go to last post
6 140
Vista Business N wont' rate my system by sandro c.
When I tray to have the score from my Vista Business n I get an error message that say....Impossible to complete the asked operation. The system dont' have multimedia support needed to complete the evaluation asked..... If i control inside the performance and stability monitor notes for all HW tests, score assigned is 0. This problem dont' appens if I tray to do same operation in Vista...
June 27th 08 05:13 PM
by sandro c.[_2_] Go to last post
2 120
Need help with large file copy freezing on Vista SP! by GamesCOre
Hello, I am running Vista SP1 fully up to date on modern hardware (Quadcore, X38 Gigabyte board) with all current drivers. Windows Explorer will freeze whenever I tried to copy a few files one after another if the total sizes approaches 1 GB in total. Even more strange is the fact that the freeze will occur even if i REBOOT the OS between each copy of a smaller size file (like 300MB each),...
June 27th 08 03:17 PM
by MilesAhead[_4_] Go to last post
1 116
Vista home premium bug? by Nikki
I am new to Vista, and have recently purchased a new pc with vista home premium. I seem to be having intermitent problems. Say for instance I want to close a program, I cannot click directly on the Close button on the top right of the screen. I have to place my cursor above and left of the button, until it changes colour then click to close. Even scrolling down a page is giving me grief.....
June 27th 08 01:59 PM
by Nikki Go to last post
2 136
Reinstalling Vista 64 Premium OEM on another Mobo by admuh
Hiya, my motherboard has become quite unreliable and I was thinking of buying a new one however I can't get the same model because its no longer produced. Would my OEM license key still work on another motherboard? Thanks
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
June 27th 08 12:38 PM
by Mark H[_2_] Go to last post
12 238
Vista goes to sleep while app still running by jmorris
So, I've looked everywhere for a solution to this, but most people seem to be having trouble waking up from sleep. My problem is that if I leave an application running overnight (ArcMap - labeling a large map) my machine goes to sleep at the scheduled time, even though it is still busy. I guess my main question is, what are the criteria for determining when the system is idle? Is it just...
June 27th 08 11:19 AM
by Nonny Go to last post
2 139
Performing Maintenance Tasks in VISTA by Tony V
I just got a new 64 bit laptop with VISTA---all of the other machine sin the house are XP. I usually run DISKCLEANER once a week and SCANDISK and DEFRAG once a month on the XP machines since we have very busy family with a lot of use. What should I be doing for the VISTA machine? Should I follow a similar schedule? I heard that VISTA doesn't need the same level of maint as XP? Please...
June 27th 08 09:00 AM
by Ronc Go to last post

From The