Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
New Vista System Backup - No Boot Disk? by Tim
Hi, I just created my first DVD set from the new system backup tool. I'm used to system backup's because Acronis True Image is my good friend for a while. Now testing the new DVD set I realize those are not bootbable disks and then we must boot Vista to access the set! So if i cannot normally boot vista i cannot restore my backuped image! What's this new backup system tool for? Just for minor...
January 26th 09 07:59 AM
by Gordon[_5_] Go to last post
3 258
Help Run Dll C:\Users\ Users name\AppData\local\temp\axdeqxgo.dll by Tyberious25
The other day after I used Spybot and deledted something I got this poping up when I turn on my laptop it says C:Users\TYBERI~\AppData\Local\Temp\axdeqxgo.dll. My username on my laptop it tyberious. I don't know what this is. It seemes to running fine its just getting annoying when it pops up when I fiorst log into windows. Any help would be appreciated -Jeff
January 25th 09 10:03 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
4 279
KB960714 tries to repeatedly install by Endulini
I can see that I'm not the only one with update problems. I have similar issues with the above update although the update history does show that it installed ok the first time it was downloaded. However it doesn't appear on the list of installed updates and Vista attempt to download and install it every time I boot up although it fails with a Code 800736b2 error. I've tried restoring to a...
January 24th 09 08:49 PM
by MowGreen [MVP] Go to last post
1 260
post by duwayne s
i posted 2 questions 1-23-09 i can't find them. can anyone help?
January 24th 09 02:50 PM
by Ken Blake, MVP Go to last post
3 4
kerberos logon to IP address by Ondrej Sevecek[_2_]
hello, as I investigated the Kerberos implementation in Vista, Vista is NOT willing to use Kerberos against an IP address. I was not able to make Vista uses Kerberos against IP address not even by creating SPN for the IP address. Although windows XP actually try to generate a ticket even for IP addresses, and if an appropriate SPN is available, they receive the ticket, Vista doesn't seam to...
January 24th 09 09:14 AM
by Ondrej Sevecek[_2_] Go to last post
4 321
windows defender by duwayne s
in windowes defender under history it lists2 programs -name unknown -the date-& succeeded . under description-program has potentialy unwanted behavior .. how do i remove these ?
January 24th 09 04:01 AM
by Kayman[_6_] Go to last post
1 307
Cannot read registry keys under HKLM with UAC enabled on Vista? by Emmanuel Stapf [ES]
Hi, I have a program that worked successfully for quite some time and just recently it stopped working. I tracked it down to a reading of a registry key located in HKLM\Software where I get an error from the Win32 API `RegOpenKeyEx' which returns with a value of 2 (that is to say there is no such entries). But there is such an entry so this is very puzzling. What is happening? Why was it...
January 24th 09 02:19 AM
by FromTheRafters[_2_] Go to last post
6 273
windows defender scan by duwayne s
the number of objects scanned wen't from 160000 to 210000 why or is this normal ?
January 24th 09 02:15 AM
by Joe Buck[_2_] Go to last post
1 269
Windows cannot display Windows Firewall Settings by Michael Haskell
Running a Vista 32 bit Business Edition machine with SP1. Machine is brand new so I doubt at virus is the cause of the issue. OneCare is not installed on the PC. When I go into the Control Panel - Windows Firewall (which shows that the firewall is on) click on Change Settings and the following error message appear "Due to an unidentified problem, Windows cannot display Windows Firewall...
January 23rd 09 10:39 PM
by Michael Haskell Go to last post
2 330
Malware or good files? by Mhaxx
Ad-aware suggests to check these files in my Vista H.P. SP1: C:\Windows\System32\psdutil.dll C:\Windows\System32\ADMIN_CLASS_LIB.dll C:\Windows\System32\BatchCrypto.dll C:\Windows\System32\DivC.dll C:\Windows\System32\MyDIT_GenClassCoinst.dll C:\Windows\System32\PSDUtil.dll C:\Windows\System32\ShowErrMsg.dll
January 23rd 09 09:30 PM
by RedDawn Go to last post
8 352
confused by moon_beam86
i can't get into my computer while i was away someone changed my user settings and passwords and i can't get on my own computer
January 23rd 09 08:15 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
3 308
Code integrity error on tcpip.sys by Mark Naughton
Sigcheck reports file as ok, sfc /scannow completes ok. Is this file ok? Thanks Mark Code integrity determined that the image hash of a file is not valid. The file could be corrupt due to unauthorized modification or the invalid hash could indicate a potential disk device error. File Name: \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\drivers\tcpip.sys
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 23rd 09 04:57 PM
by DFLX Go to last post
12 1,127
No users in Local Administrators Group by am
When attempting to view the members of the local administrators group I see no users at all, even when in the context of the local administrators account. If I attempt to add an account to the group that I know is in there already, I receive the following message: "Username" is already a member of group "Administrators". I've also tried running a script to enumerate the users in local...
January 23rd 09 04:10 PM
by am Go to last post
2 288
UAC on - no recent files anymore by ricardo.l
If I switch UAC on, the recent file list that I used to access in any "save as.." window (top left corner icon) to conveniently locate a previous folder shows up empty. Has it reset, will it fill up again?
January 23rd 09 10:46 AM
by ricardo.l Go to last post
0 249
Running at elevated privileges via Remote Desktop Connection by Dave Nuttall
I am logged in to another system using Remote Desktop Connection. The remote account is an admin account, and I have supplied the username and password. When I do a disk defrag, using Windows Explorer / Properties / Tools / Defragment Now... the dialog box stays forever, and cannot be closed (on a local disk the UAC prompt appears). I assume that the UAC prompt has appeared on the remote...
January 23rd 09 10:07 AM
by Dave Nuttall Go to last post
0 206
Error message and desktop will not display by Jamie
Hi, I was chatting on Windows Live Messenger and it kept disconnecting me. I shut down my computer and when it was turned back on my desktop now has a black screen and whenever I go to use windows explorer I get an error message saying: Location is not available C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\Desktop is not accessible.
January 23rd 09 09:41 AM
by Jamie Go to last post
3 268
Host Process error message almost everytime I start up by WHfan
I use Vista (32bit) and I get this message almost everytime I start my HP laptop.... Host Process for Windows Services stopped working and was closed. A problem caused the application to stop working correctly. Windows will notify you if a solution is available. Does anyone know what this is and what the solution is? Windows has never notified me abgout anything concerning this. Everything...
January 22nd 09 08:48 PM
by WHfan Go to last post
0 233
IE Privacy Keeper v2.73 - Anyone Running this on Vista? by Margaret
On my WinXP Pro SP2 box, I run IE Privacy Keeper along with SpySweeper and Eset NOD32. IEPK works fine, w/ both IE7 and FF2.0.0.3. I just installed it on my Vista (Home Premium-32) machine, hoping it would run, but it's not recognizing Firefox properly, even though I've correctly pointed IEPK to the Firefox exe and profile. No amount of restarting, etc., has made any difference. Has...
January 22nd 09 02:08 PM
by RoninV[_2_] Go to last post
4 200
File won't 'Unblock'. by Mudbox
I downloaded a plugin for Paint.net into the 'effects' folder and I click on 'properties' and then click 'unblock' and 'apply' , and then 'ok', but the 'effects' menu on the paint program doesn't show the new program in the menu, and when I go back to look at the file, it is still blocked. I can't unblock the file. What will unblock it?
January 22nd 09 05:34 AM
by Mudbox Go to last post
0 246
CredSSP and kerberos credentials delegation by Ondrej Sevecek[_2_]
Hello, please, would you be able to kindly provide some kind of a clarification about the CredSSP and delegation of kerberos smart-card credentials (to TS for example)? I assume this: the user is logged on by using smart-card (online by using DC) the private key cannot leave the smart-card the user then receives a valid TGT
January 22nd 09 01:15 AM
by Mervyn Zhang [MSFT] Go to last post

From The