Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Queries, comments and issues relating to the administration of Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
To what level can i configure user accounts? by Bender
Can i use different user accounts to be able to choose between different performance settings for different tasks? I know u can configure desktops and the total graphic interface of Vista for each user but what about hardware, service and startup settings. Example: One account for best (offline) gameperformance (unused hardware and services turned off, no background security programs, low...
May 2nd 08 11:56 AM
by Bender Go to last post
0 286
am locked out too by Trace09
My computer is telling me that my password is wrong when I type it in. I frequently change my password, but I go back and forth between the same two passwords all the time. I want to know if there is a way that I can fix this problem without spending $200.00 or more to fix it. any suggestions??
May 2nd 08 04:36 AM
by t-4-2[_98_] Go to last post
1 281
wrong log in name by I have unwanted pictures on hard drive
When I sign in I have a log in name of "I have unwanted pictures on hard drive.: I have sign off and logged in several times but still the same log in name. What's up?
0 298
test by farbuncle
May 2nd 08 01:09 AM
by farbuncle Go to last post
0 331
help me with my administrator account by boro
I followed the directions on the net and had my "only administrator account" in my computer hidden by doing the "regedit" stuff. But, I suddnely found out that I could not activate the administrator account anymore even in the safe mode. And what's worse, i even left my only account(not a administrator account) under parental control that i almost cannot change any settings now. what shall i...
May 1st 08 03:03 PM
by t-4-2[_98_] Go to last post
2 301
cannot install program by Klassickoi
I am trying to install a program, but I get message " You must be logged in as an administrator when installing this program", I am the only person using this computer, and at start up under my username it states ADMINISTRATOR. am I missing something, and how do I install this program. Many thanks
May 1st 08 03:16 AM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
1 280
Permissions to Local Disk by Chelsea
Hi... I've just installed apache on my computer and it is saved under local disk/C, program files, apache. I am supposed to save a php file in an apache subfolder, however I get the following dialog box: "...You don't have permissions to save in this location. Please contact the administrator to obtain permission." I am the administrator, and nowhere in my computer can I find a the option...
May 1st 08 03:10 AM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
2 393
Adminstrator Rights & New Software by John H
I've recently installed software from Sony for my MP3 player and whenever I try to run it I get a messag which tells my that "You are a Limited User - Contact the Adminstrator for full access rights". This is despite having PC Administrator Rights on my account. Can anyone help????
May 1st 08 01:25 AM
by Bruce Chambers Go to last post
1 322
making local and network passwords the same by Alan
Currently I have to log onto my PC (running Vista Business Edition) and then (when I first need something on the network) log into my network domain (specifying the domain). The passwords are currently different. Is there an easy way to securely change it to only require one login? Thanks, Alan
May 1st 08 01:12 AM
by Kerry Brown Go to last post
3 271
Vista Parental Controls Not Working by joeUser
I can't get Parental Controls working in Vista. "Parental Controls" is "On" for every account on my machine, but nothing is blocked. I get no errors. Rebooting doesn't work. Manually adding sites to the "banned" list doesn't work. Thanks for your time.
April 30th 08 04:58 AM
by t-4-2[_98_] Go to last post
8 260
Unable to change from static IP to DHCP by Randy
I can go into the 4v tcp/ip properties and change the settings to use DHCP and when I exit I am told that this requires a reboot. Don't understand why, but it does. I do the reboot and the changes are not completed the configuration is still set for static. Even when I try to change the static address it request a reboot. I thought that was no longer required. Vista Business 6.0
April 29th 08 11:05 PM
by Randy Go to last post
0 246
email, by user by mike_XP_Vista
I want to set up a standard user account for an adult and one for a child (with parental controls set for the child as well). When the adult opens the email reader in Vista (is that Outlook Express or ??), I would like them to have to sign in to their email account. Same for the child. Is that possilbe in Vista? What I specifically want is for people to have to sign into their email and...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 29th 08 09:11 PM
by DLoyd Go to last post
10 409
minor user name problem by Zippy
Hi, all - I've just set up a Vista install and I made a minor error entering a user name - I hit the apostrophe when I went to hit enter, appending an apostrophe to the end of the name. I can't seem to correct it. I've tried changing the name via the user account panel, I've even gone so far as to completely delete the user account. Still, whenever I install an application in that account...
April 29th 08 05:22 PM
by Brink Go to last post
5 306
defference between users & administer by F.N.Z
I have bought a laptop with Vista home basic O.S last week.At first I just had one user that had been created with the company that I had bought my laptop.after it, I changed the user name to my appropriate name, but now in the path "C:\Users" I have two things:"Public" and my last user name that I had been changed it. When my user is the Administrator, why my user name isn't in the user...
April 29th 08 11:54 AM
by Bob W[_2_] Go to last post
1 262
graphic error when change account by lore
Hi vista 32bit SP1 I start my pc with anyone account.. all ok. I try to close session or change account and when appear the desktop, the cursor animation in blocked, if i click on "computer" the page in black, the sidebar is not visible... but che system work... geforce 8600gs with driver updated. Excuse for my english and thank.
April 29th 08 12:59 AM
by lore Go to last post
0 239
administration problem by jpaquette
I recently bought a computer with windows vista home premium. I am the only administrator on the computer and the guest account is on. I have a problem because i can't access the control panel, the problem and solutions page and other folders that only the administrator can access. Can someone help me?
April 28th 08 11:43 PM
by Irina Go to last post
5 272
How can I create 2 users with differnt startup settings? by salty
I was wondering if there is a way to create 2 separate users in vista (Vista Home Premium 32 but) that have different startup settings. I want to create one general user with all of vista's bells & whistles for general activity like web surfing, word processing, etc., and one user that is very stripped down without any non-critical startup processes (programs) running and all of the fancy...
April 28th 08 11:28 PM
by Brink Go to last post
2 372
how to enable "run as" other users in vista by inenewbl
Hi all. I would like to know how to enable "run as" option to use other accounts to invoke applications instead of only the administrator account. Thks in advance.
April 28th 08 05:16 PM
by Kynan Go to last post
9 270
Office available for all users on my computer (Vista) by Lasse B.
I have installed Office 2007 on my computer. It works perfectly for me, but the programmes are noe available for the rest of my family in their user accounts (Start menu, All programmes). What do I do?
April 28th 08 04:17 PM
by Lasse B. Go to last post
0 269
Strange contrasting Start Menu items by Sam Siu
Hi, My friend got a strange contrasting "folder" name in her notebook's start menu, as far as I know, that item is not allowed to be renamed. Please refer to the following print screen files: http://www.sam-site.info-a.googlepages.com/problem_1.jpg http://www.sam-site.info-a.googlepages.com/problem_2.jpg I would like to know if there is any solution to this problem except creating a new user...
April 28th 08 02:25 PM
by Sam Siu Go to last post

From The