Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Queries, comments and issues relating to the administration of Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Unable To Load My Os After Installing A New Hard Drive? by DJBRUCE
I have just installed a 2nd hard drive and after I formatted it my os wont load? I can see the partion and all the files but once my system passes the boot stage it will ask for a driver or disc. If i install the oem vista premium x 64 os disc it just takes me to tjhe repair window any ideas please?:mad: -- DJBRUCE
June 2nd 08 10:28 PM
by mikeyhsd[_2_] Go to last post
1 394
Elevation required to install "Optional" updates by Don
Vista Business SP1 When I run as Standard User, I am able to install "Important" updates listed under Windows Updates. However, when trying to install "Optional" updates, I am prompted to elevate to Administrator. Is there some way to configure Vista so that "Optional" updates do not require elevation? Thanks.
June 2nd 08 05:02 PM
by highrisk Go to last post
1 372
Standard User Time Limits by Sheeps
I am trying to set up Parental Controls for my children, and am interested in the Time Limits options. I have set these up easily enough, but I would like to be able to set maximum use times for each day, not just the periods when it is available for them. For example, I would like to be able to stipulate that they can use the PC for 1 hour each weekday, between 5pm and 9pm, and for 2 hours...
June 2nd 08 02:12 PM
by t-4-2[_98_] Go to last post
6 365
Copy Workgroup User Profile to new Domain User Profile by Thomas N.
Hello all. Here is my situation. I had been on a domain "Test.com" on a workstation. The user name that I used to log in was "Thomas.Nguyen". However, after having to rebuild the domain and rejoining the workstation, the new user account, also "Thomas.Nguyen," does not have the settings of the old. I know this would happen.
June 2nd 08 07:17 AM
by Thomas N. Go to last post
0 331
Delete a Post by pam245
To delete a post, left click on the post, go to "Edit" and click on "Delete". At least, that's what I do. There may be an easier way since I'm no expert.
June 2nd 08 03:20 AM
by pam245 Go to last post
0 318
Posting by jolley noonan
How do you delete a post? -- Jolley Noonan
June 2nd 08 03:07 AM
by jolley noonan Go to last post
0 345
how to really unshare my document folder by PreferXP
My XP has 2 administrators. Each administrator cannot open and see each other's files inside the "My Document" folder. In Vista, it is default to share "My Document" folder to everyone. Superficially it says it is already not shared, but in fact everyone can open and see the files. How can I really really unshare my documents? I also hate to share my outlook calendar to other users on my...
June 1st 08 12:42 AM
by PreferXP Go to last post
0 317
Start menu shortcuts missing, help please. by Amarjeet
I have lost all of the default Windows Vista start menu shortcuts. I did not delete them, they just aren’t there anymore. I recently removed my K-Lite Mega Codec Pack and installed the newer version 3.9. I also removed Cyberlink PowerDVD 7 Ultra and installed version 8 Ultra. I only have five shortcuts left, Utorrent, windows update, 2 office 2007 shortcuts and default programs. I only...
May 31st 08 10:27 PM
by t-4-2[_98_] Go to last post
6 436
Duplicate user profiles - how to delete? by Eileenb300
I have Vista Home Premium. For some reason, two sets of user profiles are loading on start up. I have 3 profiles: Admin, Guest and my own. Each one appears twice on the sign-in screen. Someone else was monkeying around with the computer and caused this to happen, but not sure what they did. Thanks!
May 31st 08 09:13 PM
by Eileenb300 Go to last post
0 289
Unwanted duplicates of user profiles by Eileenb300
I have Vista Home Premium. For some reason, two sets of user profiles are being loaded at start up. I have 3 profiles: Admin, Guest and my own. Each of them appears twice on the sign-in screen. What do I change to stop them from loading twice? (This happened after my nephew had been monkeying around with the computer.) Thanks!
May 31st 08 09:02 PM
by Eileenb300 Go to last post
0 266
Help! I screwed up my sons laptop by WOFT
:( Yesterday my wife and I confiscated our sons laptop due to poor grades. While we had it we decided to create an administrator account and to implement parental controls. The way we did this was to change his account from administrator to standard user and change the current generic account that was there to an administrator account. We password protected it and set our parental controls. The...
May 31st 08 05:47 PM
by t-4-2[_99_] Go to last post
5 320
I cant log on to my Administrators Account by mary
When I type my password to my Account it says that the service has failed the log on. The password is correct. I could only log on to my guest account. please help me
May 31st 08 12:06 PM
by Kam Cheung Go to last post
2 312
corrupted user profiles and much more by Joris Claeys
I have huge issues and I cannot seem to get the right assistance from HP. Maybe this community can assist me. The below is what I posted on HP forums for assistance describing all the issues I am facing. If any one here can assist or advise, I would greatly appreciate. thanks -- regards Joris HP PT corrupted - ISP solution - programs blocked business support forums Mobile products ...
May 31st 08 10:36 AM
by Joris Claeys Go to last post
0 357
IE 7 will not retain my 'connect' password. by PA Bear [MS MVP]
Forwarded to 'microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords' newsgroup via crosspost. Are you running Vista x64 Home Basic or Home Premium? http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords/msg/2ad3d7e64510a43b -- ~PA Bear Mike Green wrote:
May 31st 08 01:49 AM
by PA Bear [MS MVP] Go to last post
4 423
Loggin on by IainTraynor
I am trying to log onto my account but when i log on it says "The user profile service failed the loggon. User profile cannot be loaded." What shout i do?
May 31st 08 12:19 AM
by t-4-2[_98_] Go to last post
3 393
Ghost User Account by Theodore Danger
After recently recieving my computer from the manufacturer for repairs, I found that they had wiped my harddrive as part of the process and then when they reinstalled everything they created a user account called TEST. Since it was the only account I just used it when I got it back and started moving all my files back in. This is where I ran into my problem. I changed the name of the user...
May 30th 08 07:27 AM
by Brink Go to last post
1 327
Run As Administrator from vbScript by Santiago Bruni
I want to use the "Run As Administrator" functionality of Windows Vista (UAC), from a vbScript to call any application. It is possible? Thanks.
May 30th 08 05:48 AM
by DevilsPGD Go to last post
4 367
Force user account picture w/Group Policy by DevilsPGD
(Previously posted to microsoft.public.windows.group_policy, but it looks like the answer isn't available as a group policy, so I am more looking for a registry key or way to script this, which I will then deploy via GP) Does anyone know if it's possible to use a Group Policy (or GP preference) to set user account pictures? The thought would be to copy user pictures out from a central...
May 30th 08 03:00 AM
by DevilsPGD Go to last post
0 265
windows mail, how to hide e mails until user sign in by miatapete
Using windows mail to access Comcast mail I set the account to require a password. That stops anyone else from receiving new messages. But all the old messages are right there for anyone to view as soon as windows mail is opened? What do I do so the old e mails are not visible to everyone. . . . It worked like that in Outlook Express; had to sign in to an identity to see new and old...
May 29th 08 05:02 PM
by miatapete Go to last post
0 319
cant login to my administrative account by patricia
hi, im hoping that someone can help me with my problem, ive had my dell computer which is windows vista home premium, for about 7 months now! im not very good with computers cause im new with this, well one day i put my password in like i always do to log in to my account, when i was done with what i was doing, i walked away for about 5 min, when i came back it was back on the log on when...
May 29th 08 11:20 AM
by .Joe[_314_] Go to last post

From The